• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Versatile Fairway Pairings

I have one of three set-ups depending on my mood:

Seasoned light TeeBird/ new heavy TeeBird/ Z Predator

Heavy River / Tournament Boatman

Trak / Ascent / Black-Eyed Trak

The fairway slot is important for my game but does not really need a wide range of stability or a lot of discs to cover it. I can get my Rocs and Ibex out pretty far and the step above of Fairways is my Sword, which has a step above that with the King bookended by the Nuke SS and OS. So I have four levels of drivers instead of one or two with a wide range of stability. At least for me I find it easier to control a disc's speed (and thus create turn and fade from that) than trying to throw everything that same speed and hope the disc's characteristics will get the job done.

CE Valk/ w/ Champ fbird

or ce tbird w/ Champ fbird

OR

All three like I do.

3 11x champ teebirds 2 SE TL's...and 2 11x firebirds. Covers any shot you would ever need for a fairest driver

2 Rivers (171g and 165g) cover my slightly understable and understable slots.
2 Teebirds (12x at 175g, and a beat 11x at 170g) cover my Stable/overstable and stable slots.
If I need more stability than that I break out my Firebird.

10x KC Pro Cheetah and a CE Eagle X

Eagle-X/Eagle-L is a popular one.

I throw Predator/Tracker. But I swap in Leos and TLs for the Tracker sometimes.

how do you like the tracker? compared to the Leopard (what kind of leos do you throw)

I carry a very beat champ Banshee for my straight/understable fairway driver and an Opto XXX for hurricane days. Originally, my Banshee was my only driver and I used it for EVERYTHING for about a year. As such, it's so beat now that it flies like a tiny katana, by which I mean it does that swooping turn followed by a gradual fade back like the Katana, and will hold an anhyzer for quite a while. The XXX is fairly beat as well so its not quite so overstable. Between the two I don't need any other fairway drivers

Teebird/Eagle
Teebird/TL
Eagle-X/Eagle-L
Gazelle/Cheetah
Gazelle/Leopard

...I'm being careful not to mix speeds here...my take on pairing is two molds that can be thrown with essentially the same grip and motion and get the different lines.

I use 4 fairways. Whippet, Tee bird, Cactus Cyclone/Leopard depending on distance. Sometimes the gazelle and the tee bird flip flop depending on the course.

I've been playing my lunch rounds with:

Champ Teebird
Champ Leopard
D Zone
D Magnet

and I find the Teebird/Leopard combo to be a perfect match. Might end up rotating those two into my bag for a while.

Do you have any issues with them being so different speedwise?

Not particularly. I like the fact that I can really put some muscle into my Gazelles and not have them get too squirrelly (11x KC Pro, Star, or Champ Glo), while the River is much more of a finesse driver, where powering it down gets me about the same distance as the Gazelle, but is still workable.

pro leopard or X XL with a teebird or an eagle

DX Banshee and Pro Leopard here.

The Banshee beats into a Teebird, so I can cover a lot of lines and wind conditions carrying multiple discs in these two molds in different stages of wear.