• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What to expect when spectating?

fishEH

I just registered myself and my sons, 12 & 14, to spectate at the Ledgestone Insurance Open in Peoria, IL. We've never been to any kind of tournament, let alone a major.

Any tips on how it works? Do we follow a card around, or stay put and watch all the cards play through? Tips on things to bring or anything else?
Thanks!

Only thoughts from spectating the USDCG....and pre-Covid.

You can do either, of course. Follow-the lead card, or stick on a single hole. Or just wander to the course, watching a variety of holes and players. Or, depending on the course, there may be a vantage point where you can watch multiple holes from one spot.

If they're using tee-times, the lead card won't start until later. You can watch everyone play hole 1 until the lead card arrives, then follow them.

My preference is to walk the course backwards -- seeing all the holes and all the players and, because you're walking against the flow, you tend to see more (like the way you see more cars on the highway, in the opposite lane, than your own). Then to catch up with the lead card once they're on the course, and follow them.

Since I've been to Ledgestone to spectate here's what I did...I went with my dad who does not get around so well so following a card for all 18 really wasn't an option. We sat at hole #1 and watched all the cards tee off. Once the last card tee'd we moved over to 17 to watch them throw over the water. That was really cool. Then we followed the last card from 17 to 18. If I weren't there with my dad I probably would have followed to second to last card just because the crowd would be slightly smaller and there's the potential for drama.

Also, leave yourself some time to do some shopping because there are oodles of vendors there. It's a great way to spend an day even if you don't toss any plastic.

What do you carry? I've spectated motocross and here's a few things I think of. It's a LONG day.

Water/beverages at a minimum and snacks. Wet wipes and paper towels are handy. Maybe a stool of some type? There will be lag time and you'll probably want to sit some. Sun screen. A hat. A trash bag—like a few grocery bags. Fully charged phones and maybe a backup battery. Autographs? Sharpie and something to sign? The event flyer is cool for that. Discs, but you have to be brand/sponsor conscientious. Not sure how much of that is an option with COVID. Masks would be respectful if you are approaching someone.

What do you carry? I've spectated motocross and here's a few things I think of. It's a LONG day.

Water/beverages at a minimum and snacks. Wet wipes and paper towels are handy. Maybe a stool of some type? There will be lag time and you'll probably want to sit some. Sun screen. A hat. A trash bag—like a few grocery bags. Fully charged phones and maybe a backup battery. Autographs? Sharpie and something to sign? The event flyer is cool for that. Discs, but you have to be brand/sponsor conscientious. Not sure how much of that is an option with COVID. Masks would be respectful if you are approaching someone.

The only thing I would add to your list is bug spray.

Wear earth tones, no bright colors

Tell the kids to stand still and quiet when players are playing. I think you can wear brighter colors, but I can see how that might annoy some. Just stay still and quiet (unless they throw a great shot then cheer!) :thmbup:

I don't know if it is this way on all tournaments, but on the last day spectators are "roped" off from the lead card. Some courses have volunteers keeping spectators back from the lead group, the Memorial has used a rope at times for that purpose (two volunteers carried the rope stretched out between them).

One piece of advice...for the last day, prior to the lead card getting to the end, find a spot near 18 so you can watch the finish...that area is usually crowded early.

One piece of advice...for the last day, prior to the lead card getting to the end, find a spot near 18 so you can watch the finish...that area is usually crowded early.

it's a good point....at the USDGC, where there are large galleries, if you follow the lead card, you probably won't see any dramatic final putts, because those spots will have been taken.

Like with spectating many live sports, don't expect to have an amazing view of the lead card, the cameras get all of the best angles. You may be able to see the lead card players tee off, but not the full flight of their discs. Or you can stand down the fairway and watch the discs fly, but not see which player threw them. For some reason I hadn't anticipated that. Of course, whether you have a good view or not, you can't beat the drama and excitement of following the lead card.

The last time I went to USDGC, I switched things up and picked a card in the middle of the pack, and had a really nice time quietly walking the course with them, and getting a close-up view of their throws. Very different feel from lead card, and I think I personally preferred it this way. Then at the end, you can walk back and catch up with the increasing drama on the cards higher up.

Personally I got bored sitting at one hole and watching everyone throw it, I want to see more variety of holes and throws. But it is relaxing when you need a break.

Try out some of these approaches, and see which one you and your sons enjoy the most.

As others have said, bring plenty of snacks and water, something like a stool or chair is nice too. Also sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, etc., like any activity spending a whole day out in the sun.

If any player in the group splits off, assume they are going to find a place to pee. Look the other way and don't follow them.

Just show up and your interests will guide you. When I was young my main interest was learning throwing techniques from the pros. Followed Klimo, Barry, and Russell to name a few. Afterwards I realized I would be nothing more than an average player and my interests changed to relaxing and watching the show. I like to find a spot where i can see multiple fairways and then park my ass and watch the under cards play through then follow the lead card in. I approach spectating as I do playing a round of disc golf... I wear the same garb and empty my bag of discs and stock it with goodies and carry it and my trusty camptime tripod around. Hope you get to see an exciting finish.

PS: One thing I learned about the pros is that they don't like pars.

Having been to Ledgestone last year; There were limited passes available to be able to spectate (which managed the head count). You can walk the course and follow the lead card or other cards. You will be required to stay 50 feet back and socially distance. There were only a couple of places on each course (Eureka Temp and Northwoods) where there was a choke point and was closed off to spectators. Mainly this is due to the inability to socially distance at those areas. As such a few holes on each course were closed to spectators. For the most part it's a great experience, I highly recommend it.

I am registered to play DDO this year, but I want to try to get some spectating in (if allowed). Should not be a problem as I'm sure to be on early tee-times due to overall suckage. I appreciate the tips here, I'll make sure to bring the stool.

If you haven't spectated before. Depending on where you are at (even walking from one spot to another), don't pick up discs - period. Even if they are out-of-bounds/in the water etc....let the player pick it up. Make sure your kids are aware of this rule. Also, if you see a disc go into brush/woods/etc. near you and there's no spotter around....show the player where the disc went and if needed help them find it.

Be aware of your surroundings and flying discs....don't get hit. If you hear FORE! or a warning (for example: heads up!), don't look to the direction of where the yell came from....you might get a disc in the face. Face away, crouch down, and duck your head...count to 10 before standing back up. You might look silly, but better to look silly than have to get stitches because a disc hit you hard.

Bumping, instead of starting a new thread.

I am signed up for a local A Tier this weekend. One of a few Pro/AM events around. Player pack pick up is Friday and the Pro's are starting play on Friday. Pro's playing one round a day, tee times. AM's are a shotgun start, two round Sat and tee times on Sunday. The TD is doing some weird combo course set up at Hudson Mills for one of the rounds. A facility that has two 24 holes courses on site. See link.

Anywhooo....I think I am going to head out on Friday and see if I can lend a hand, (player packs, spotting, running water....) But, really gonna spend a bit of time watching. Spectating here will obviously be old school. Go where you want, stay out of the way and have fun. A lot different than the nonsense we see at DGPT events. Of course, this is not the who's who of MPO....but, below is a short list of top players at the event. Not mentioning a nice collection of top local FPO and a very strong MP40 field.

Tim Barham 53332 1018 White Lake MI United States
Martin Hendel 39469 1013 St Thomas ON Canada
G.T. Hancock 49885 1011 Bedford TX United States
Luke Taylor 102119 1010 Shepherd MI United States
Reid Frescura 48338 1009 Holland MI United States
Andrew Martin 54302 1004 Cleveland OH United States
Robert Burridge 96512 1004 Houston TX United States

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Hudson_Mills_Metropark

I accidentally took the day off, after misunderstanding the schedule. So, a nice afternoon of being outdoors and taking a bit of a hike simply sound too good to pass up. Man, I do love this game.

Latest posts