• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what was your favorite throw?

Meyer broadway north hole 3. The view of that tee shot is awesome and makes me happy every time i see it.

Diaomnd X, Hole Red 6, 399' 29' downhill, hyzerflip to turn with a late fade around the trees at about 385' with a bliz destro, crashed chains and stuck. I was guiding for another forum member so that was a bonus.

I know.. another ace throw, but really. One of my most memorable throws was when I was playing while recovering from my broken foot, it was winter, a random doubles round, and I was on my iwalk (think peg leg of a pirate with my foot behind me), hole 5 short at CP Adams. A beat dx teebird on a steep hyzer flipped up to flat, through the tight gap, hit the ground, skipped up and straight, just tickled the chains and sat down in the basket for my biggest payday (at that time) of $100.

In my first year of playing, I threw it in from about 70-80 feet. It might have been longer, and that's still my longest throw to go into the basket. There was a little crowd of about 10-15 people on another hole, and they all saw it and cheered. For a moment, I felt like I was the best player on Earth.

(That's what sucks about disc golf, is that many times, our sweetest shots are seen only by our lonely eyes)

Last year we had a SOUL-stice tournament at Diamond X. I was on the top card for the 2nd round and I aced hole 11 Black. Not my longest ace, but it was mega-sweet for a number of reasons:

+ With a CE Firebird that I had just gotten as a wedding gift the previous month (now a classy wall hanger)
+ Was my first (and still only) tournament ace
+ Was a re-ace of a hole I had gotten the previous year
+ Was the 2nd ace of that flight/round (had just seen the leader ace hole 5 green)
+ There was also a "longest putt" award on that hole. Technically my tee shot counted as the longest "putt" that went in, so I got a bonus prize.

I hit a 240 foot Ace with a Pro Katana in a 30 mph wind. It air bounced 20 feet up then down to go in the basket, which was behind some tress. Just the most wicked angle I have ever seen.

I actually have two, neither are aces, but both are memorable (and similar)

Can't remember the hole at Blue Angel Park - Palmetto, but it was a short one. Guy in the group that let me play along with them hit his first ace ever on the hole. I teed off right behind him - smacked a tree about 50 feet away. (that's NOT the shot.) Next throw, 150+ foot birdie with (of all things) an ESP Ace Race Zeppelin.

Other one is similar, but this one had no witnesses. I THINK it was hole 12 at Armco Park Blue. Decent tee shot, second shot smacked the closest tree to me (MAYBE 20 feet away). Notice a common theme here? ANYway, pulled out my Z Buzzz and threw a frozen rope right at the basket, but it was going to land just short. I yelled "SKIP IN" --- and it did. 200+ foot par save.

I've got two that are tied.

A park job with my first DX roc back in 2006. It was a 350 foot turnover park job to save par on a 550' hole. I had never thrown a disc that far ever, it didn't even seem possible. It was several years before I could throw anything that well, let alone a mid. I fell in love with the roc that day and we've been together ever since.

Second was more recently. I got a eagle 3 on Steady Ed Headrick Memorial number 9 (long pin). I think that's the hardest hole on the course. My drive was absurd. I throw a blind anhyzer to the tighter right side tunnel that I loose almost immediately but leaks out eventually. I landed around the corner past the short pin, which measures 457'. So I threw about 475'. Longest throw of my life hands down, with a low ceiling and going thru jail to boot. Easy to clean up the eagle from there. Funny thing is I have no idea exactly what the flight looked like, it just shot out of the end of the tunnel what felt like FORVER after I let it go.

Last April I canned a long second shot on the 430' hole 2 white-white at Borderland State Park. It was probably between 150-180' out. Only time I've ever birdied that hole. Used a 168 Champ Monster that is beat to death.

I actually have two, neither are aces, but both are memorable (and similar)

Can't remember the hole at Blue Angel Park - Palmetto, but it was a short one. Guy in the group that let me play along with them hit his first ace ever on the hole. I teed off right behind him - smacked a tree about 50 feet away. (that's NOT the shot.) Next throw, 150+ foot birdie with (of all things) an ESP Ace Race Zeppelin.

Other one is similar, but this one had no witnesses. I THINK it was hole 12 at Armco Park Blue. Decent tee shot, second shot smacked the closest tree to me (MAYBE 20 feet away). Notice a common theme here? ANYway, pulled out my Z Buzzz and threw a frozen rope right at the basket, but it was going to land just short. I yelled "SKIP IN" --- and it did. 200+ foot par save.

Field aces are awesome. Probably my second favorite shot ever was a similar situation in my first year of playing. After catching a tree limb after about 50' with 200' to go, I toss my River up on this high anny (had a line of trees in my way). It curved around to the left of most of the trees, but cut in before the guardian tree in front of the basket, only to fade back out and crash into the chains. My wife was with me on that one, and honestly it was a much better and longer shot than still my only ace, which was a simple, straight shot on a 130' hole which was unwitnessed.

Hole 18 at Terrace Creek. Backhanded a DX Valk on a perfect S-line that hugged the trees to the right before fading in to a perfect landing in the middle of the fairway 30' past the manhole cover. I've never come anywhere close to that shot on that hole since...

Could also be hole 17 at George Wilson. Turned over an Avenger SS just enough on a backhand that it cut six inches off of the end of a branch on the big tree to the right, then came in gently with very little fade to sit down 3' from the basket.

Those are my favorites because I've really let my backhand slide since then (much better at forehand), and know there's no way I could replicate them right now even though I'm worlds better than I was when I threw 'em. Also because I don't throw those discs anymore.

It didn't go in. I didn't make the putt.

It was in the playoffs of one of my first tournaments: a pro/am alternating-shot random-draw doubles event prior to the state championships. On a par 4, both teams were sitting in the middle of the fairway after their first shot with 330'+ to go. The other Am takes his shot and lands 75' short, just where the OB ropes begin to narrow, making the last tree-filled 100' of the hole a funnel-shape with the basket near the narrowest point. It was my turn to throw and my pro partner advises me to just play it safe. I had been throwing well all day and felt pretty good.. I pulled out my 11x eagle and had as nice of a hyzer-flip as I can remember to land 25' out, in the middle of the roped corridor. My pro partner nailed the putt to seal our win.

Over the next few years, as I started attending more local disc golf functions like leagues and tournaments, I learned what a pillar of our local DG community he was, and what a fun person to be around.

He died in his sleep a couple years later, while ice fishing with his family. :(

picture.php

Hole 8 on Meadow Ridge at Horning's Hideout is 420' with -124' elevation. Taking the rule of thumb at 3' of distance for each foot of elevation makes it (420-372) 48' -- so a putter.

Throwing a Pure, I hit the tunnel in the right middle of the pic, then lost sight of it. Waited a few seconds for the sound of plastic on wood ... nothing. Then I saw my disc sailing right to left about 30' above the basket. And a few seconds later, that sound of wood.

When I finally found the bright yellow Pure, the wooden sound had come from a log about 200' feet past the basket. That 600+ putter drive is still the longest I've thrown.

That's a tough hole to make it through. I've only ever had one shot that almost made the cut through the trees at the end. Didn't quite get out though and pinballed my approach off a tree 20' away. Basket was in the short position, so I think I took a +1 with a 5.

Definitely a one of it's kind shot for me. I doubt that could ever happen again. Just enough r/l wind to help the distance/fade at the end. ugh..that course now is in such bad shape. Pity...

Hole 13 at Great Blue Heron, Norwalk,OH. I had been playing around 6 months. Second shot, around 150 feet. I looked at the line, a little voice in my head said "You can make this shot". I took my DX WOLF and just sorta zipped it flat and low. That Wolf went pin high right, then left, then right then left again into the basket. My buddy started kow towing to me, chanting "I am not worthy, I am not worthy." That was a lot of fun. I wonder where that Wolf is?

My favorite throw to date, is not my two Aces on Hole 11, White tee box at Hiller Park, Biloxi, which came exactly one month apart (July 17 and August 17). using a G Star Roc 3.

The best throw for me was Hole 2 at Chickasabogue - Original, Mobile, AL. Short hole, only 186', choked on my drive, hit a tree and left it short about 50'. My second throw I released a bit late, disc went right, bounced off a tree and ricocheted left into the chains dead center, for an unbelievable deuce. My friends gave me a ton of grief for messing up two shots in a row and still pulling out a duece.

Last edited:
Hole 7 short tee Monster course at Hudson Mills, league round. First throw makes it down to the curve on the right side of the fairway. Second throw goes down behind the big bush/tree thing, and right into the basket! Then, I made the exact same throw a couple of weeks later in a league round for another 2 on the hole!

My favorite throw was a 2-fer on hole 18 at Shady Oaks in Orangevale, California. My friend's drive hit a tree branch and stopped dead, about 225 feet away from the target. My shot planned about 60 feet away. He brought out his old beat up Roc and cranked it flat. I was at my disc when the Roc started to fade and drop. At that point, I knew it was in: BIRDIE. All I had to do was sink a 60 foot putt. No problem after only playing disc for 2 months. Yeah right, sarcastically, I thought. Then I let my throw go. BANG!!! Back to back birdies from 50+ feet. My longest putt and make for birdie to date.

Favorite throw to date was from a couple weeks ago. I was playing a round at my local course, Torch Lake DGC. I was on hole 3. From the tee, you are forced to throw uphill and across a gravel road. The basket is obstructed by a grove of pine trees, if you are looking straight ahead from the tee pad. In that case, you're forced to either throw left or right. Anyway, I was already almost at the top of the hill at this point, literally right on the edge of the hill. The basket is roughly 15-20 feet away from me. Mind you, my putting is HORRENDOUS. At the time, I had no doubts that I would miss and have to go for a bogey. I took a deep breath and just threw. I ended up putting a slight hyzer into my throw, and the disc hit nothing but the chains! I ended up getting the par. If only other people were around to see my excitement, haha! I might had done a little dance all by myself on the course that day.

Latest posts