• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why No Relief from Harmful Plants?

I'm just getting over a poison ivy outbreak... hate the stuff. It's harder to identify when its young, and I must have set my bag down in some because sure enough, 3 days later, poison ivy all over my lower back where my bag rests. Sent the bag through the washing machine to get it all out.

Careful with the washing machine. If not hot water, small trace amounts of oil can be left behind for the next load of clothes. This can transfer to small dots of ivy rash generalized anywhere clothing sits on the first wear. :mad:

Careful with the washing machine. If not hot water, small trace amounts of oil can be left behind for the next load of clothes. This can transfer to small dots of ivy rash generalized anywhere clothing sits on the first wear. :mad:

Thanks for the heads up. I used the hottest setting I had, and it has been long enough now that if that happened, I would be an extremely itchy person right now. That sounds terrible :sick:

Man I was all ready to give my home remedies for poison ivy.......

Come on now bro....everyone needs to hear about the remedies...even though this is not what the thread is really about...it could help some poor individual who just happens to have the ivy rash and could alleviate his pain. Never hold back medical advice...especially if you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

803.01 Obstacles And Relief

(B) Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round. To obtain relief, the player must remove the obstacle if it is practical to do so. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the target, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie (unless greater casual relief is announced by the Director).

Last edited:
That's the thing... he never found his disc so I think he was arguing that it did go out of bounds in the adjacent water.....

He can't do that, either. There has to be reasonable evidence that it's O.B. Not finding in may mean that he's not looking hard enough, or in exactly the right place.

My poison ivy remedy is to put alcohol on it. It dissolves the oil that causes the reaction. Surface contact is enough if used within 20 minutes, and rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer works for early surface application. But if I have a rash, I scrape off the bumps with a knife and pour alcohol in the wound. I don't use rubbing alcohol for that.

Off topic slightly, but plant allergies like this are progressive. i.e. Even if you have no reaction to it now, with continued exposure you will eventually start reacting to it (worse and worse). So don't go rolling around in poison ivy just because it doesn't currently make you itch. ;)

I chew on a newly sprouted poison ivy leaf every year (started as a child) and to this day I have never had any reaction to poison ivy.

I chew on a newly sprouted poison ivy leaf every year (started as a child) and to this day I have never had any reaction to poison ivy.

I've been doing the same thing with the Iocane plant, building up an immunity to it.

My poison ivy remedy is to put alcohol on it. It dissolves the oil that causes the reaction. Surface contact is enough if used within 20 minutes, and rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer works for early surface application. But if I have a rash, I scrape off the bumps with a knife and pour alcohol in the wound. I don't use rubbing alcohol for that.

That doesn't sound too pleasant. If you can catch it early enough, dish soap works great to lift the oils that cause the rash. Also, applying jewelweed after exposure works to neutralize it. Once you get the rash, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Some people respond well to Zanfel, but it didn't work for me. Anti-histamine cream or spray can reduce the swelling and itch.

That doesn't sound too pleasant. If you can catch it early enough, dish soap works great to lift the oils that cause the rash. Also, applying jewelweed after exposure works to neutralize it. Once you get the rash, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Some people respond well to Zanfel, but it didn't work for me. Anti-histamine cream or spray can reduce the swelling and itch.

I scrub down and clean everything after every round I play at a certain course, the poison ivy is EVERYWHERE. When I do get a bit of a rash I use triamcinolone acetonide cream. It is prescription, and I got it for some particularly bad poison ivy and it came in such a large container I still have a lifetime supply. Only a dab with do with that stuff.

Growing up I was SEVERELY allergic to poison oak. I used to have to have a shot a week during the months of Feb and March to try to help with it. It didn't help. My doctors finally took me off the shots. I have been hospitalized with it before. I had it so bad that it covered my face and swelled my eyes shut. It's just plain nasty! Lately as I have grown older I don't tend to get it as bad. Here's the thing that helps me the most. Keeping a travel size pack of baby wipes or alcohol based moist wipes in my bag If you see it, a quick wipe down of you or your clothes will go a long way.

Makes sense -- the urushiol is an oil, and the alcohol is a solvent that helps strip the oil off the skin. Water alone doesn't do it, since oils repel water. Dishwashing liquids like Dawn that are designed to break up oils also work well. My wife's very sensitive to poison ivy, and keeps a bottle of Dawn in the shower to use when she suspects she may have been in contact with it.

I also keep a bottle of dawn in the shower for this exact reason and also take a small travel bottle with me on DG road trips.

Actually, "scraping" the bumps off prolongs the healing process. The bumps/rash are a reaction that is under the skin, while that takes time to heal, severely damaging the skin by scraping it or intense scratching simply gives your body something else that now needs to heal and gives you more of a chance of infection. This comes straight from my doctor, not me.

I envy you. There, I said it. :|

I've been doing the same thing with the Iocane plant, building up an immunity to it.

I see what you did there......;)

^All this....