• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You bought lifetime supply of a favorite mold?

seedlings

* Ace Member *
I've been thinking if I have a favorite mold worth buying a 'lifetime supply' of spares. Honestly I don't have a mold I couldn't live without, and I wouldn't buy dozens of them, or even know how many to buy. I have four Essence fairways in Neo plastic, and eight P2 putters in different plastics and wear. I throw those two the most. I have five Wraiths but don't throw them any more. If I bought twenty of one mold, it's possible I would throw something different over time.

But maybe you did buy a metric truckload of one mold? Worth it? Tell your story! How many is acceptable number of spares for your favorite mold(s)?

I have a lifetime supply of Wizard putters. Never bought one, don't like them. The only value they've ever had was as a very inefficient way to get money to TDs.

Excellent take. Now I realize I have a lifetime supply of nearly every mold. Two lifetimes' of Teebirds.

I have a box of about 20 Wraiths that I never throw any more. Mostly Star plastic, mostly 165-172g. Various stages of wear.

I collected them for a few years, many here on the Marketplace. The goal was to build up a lifetime supply. But then other shiny discs caught my attention and pushed the Wraiths out of my bag.

What are some of the more resale valuable discs?

2015 Sexton FBs?
Black 4 claw z zones?

Yeah, one of them. Of course, with the caveat that my lifetime supply does not diminish the sellable value of them… heh

I wouldn't know what to do with a truckload of pre-made in Sweden Lucid Truths. Decorate a wall?

I acquired a bunch of Voodoos when they were my primary putter. Pretty sure I sold them off as a lot after switching back to Aviars.

I stocked up on flat top DX rancho Rocs years ago, but never built a lifetime supply. I eventually lost enough of them (and they were hard enough to replace) that I just switched to DX Roc3s. They fly close enough to my flat tops and are way easier to find.

As far as what's acceptable, who knows? I'd think it makes more sense to have a stack of your putting putter than a stack of your favorite driver. You can use that stack of putters for more efficient practice. Stack of drivers just collects dust.

With how much discs vary within a given mold/plastic/weight/color/stamp/run combination, having a stack of replacements ready to go is somewhat of a waste. First off, freshies won't fly like like your well seasoned favorite even if they did fly identically new. Secondly, what are the odds that the discs in that stack of backups actually have consistent flight characteristics?

I cannot imagine any mold in today's market is indispensable.
I love FDs, but so many disc mfrs make something just like it.
The possible exception might be Comets, but even then, there are some pretty good clones out there…

Especially with the variability of plastics and weights, you can find just about anything from a different mfr that is very close.

Now, I have some individual discs that are in a "sweet spot", but as far as molds go, there are so many mfrs out there making FDs, TBs, FBs, Destros, you name it…

The rationale for making sure you had a stack of insert mold/weight/color of your choice here,

...made more sense whan you only have a few manufacturers.

Unless you're truly addicted to something that's so hard to find, AND none of the other dozen or so manufacturers makes something similar, I don't see a reason to stock more than a few back ups.

But hey, you do you. If you wanna buy a big 'ol stack of ________'s, who am I to say you shouldn't make some disc seller happy?

Pros can be very particular about their plastic.
Yet so many find ways to change sponsors and still be successful.

If you get hung up on "This is the only disc I can make that shot with," then...

1) you've already lost the game.
2) you're a disc maker's dream.

Last edited:
MF Roc3's. Not all of them are created equal obviously but the current one I have is absolutely the best feeling Roc3 I have ever held in my hands.

I've really fallen for the Cat Allen first flight Vortexes.

I have and love a first run Z Sol. I bought a couple of PP Sols, but they aren't quite the same. So to avoid that, I'm trying to stack Vortexes. I'm at 3 right now, but I plan to get a few more.

I'm 65 y/o, so every disc I have is almost a lifetime supply, lol. To be serious though, I have around 15 Comets, and probably 4 or 5 of them have only been thrown a few times, and 4 or 5 others have never been thrown. Some I've had for 8 or 10 years already. That is definitely a lifetime supply for me.

For two years my primary driver was Star Mamba's always keeping a few with different weights in the bag, along the way when I saw one in a disc store, I would buy one for backup. Last year was my second year playing and I started field work on my form and learning to play the wind, discovering my Star Mamba's are too flippy compared to more stable disc in my bag. So, I started experimenting and came upon MVP/Axiom back in the spring and love them with the Orbital and Wave as my primary drivers. Even able to throw a 13 and 14 speed for the first time. My Star Mamba's now only come out of the bag for turnovers, and I have 7 boxed in a closet. It might take a few years to go thru them, lost one last month and just moved on not worrying about it. More than half my bag is now MVP/Axiom it's been fun going thru the transition.

For two years my primary driver was Star Mamba's always keeping a few with different weights in the bag, along the way when I saw one in a disc store, I would buy one for backup. Last year was my second year playing and I started field work on my form and learning to play the wind, discovering my Star Mamba's are too flippy compared to more stable disc in my bag. So, I started experimenting and came upon MVP/Axiom back in the spring and love them with the Orbital and Wave as my primary drivers. Even able to throw a 13 and 14 speed for the first time. My Star Mamba's now only come out of the bag for turnovers, and I have 7 boxed in a closet. It might take a few years to go thru them, lost one last month and just moved on not worrying about it. More than half my bag is now MVP/Axiom it's been fun going thru the transition.

I had to stop 'experimenting'. I mean… I should stop experimenting.

I spent the first couple of years trying everything I read about on here. I started to find a few molds I liked, just when they were no longer available, so I substituted. Now that the molds I like are available, I'm getting a few of them and switching over.

I will say that honing the skill of watching where a disc lands and not turning away in frustration, makes discs last so much longer. At least a dozen times I was very confident I lost my only FD3. But I didn't (except for the month it sat in a pond). Finally, I can buy some extras.

Responding too ^^^^^. I've enjoyed experimenting the past year, and I think MVP could be staying in my bag. I've traded in so many discs with PIAS that the local store know my first name, and the other two stores recognize me when I walk in, lol. I don't like keeping the extra disc when not using them, but I'm looking for extra Wave's and Orbital's when I see them for backup. Not only was I looking for more stable discs last year, but I'm rebuilding my form and I'm currently working on an x-step only with my fairways. When I return to the 4-step sometime next year, I'll go back to some of those discs I couldn't throw during the one-step such as the Star Halo Destroyer felt good in the hand, but didn't have the arm speed for it, perhaps next year. For myself, experimenting is just part of the fun. Today I traded in a Photon that was too light at 147g, to a Deflector Mid that will hyzer when needed, something missing from today's two rounds.

I fall in love with a few mold/plastic/run combinations and stock up.
I have a lifetime supply of:
CE Teebirds
PFN Star Pre-Kenny Wraiths
Pharaohs
PFN Star Sidewinders
PFN Star Firebirds
Omega SS run 1.25 or earlier

I had a lifetime supply of first run Z Nukes. Moved on and sold most of them.

No regrets

I have seven Vibram VP putters (my main putter), and have seen absolutely no change or 'beating in' of the material, nor any noticeable wear and tear in any of them (so far). Likely going to be my putter for life. And since they're out of production, no regrets on having that many extras. :)

Latest posts