• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Your best disc "discovery" of 2016.

So many possible answers, but I'll limit full discussion to these three, which both pleasantly surprised me as well as improved my scores:

1. Star Mirage - wasn't even planning to try it, but got a proto-star at a discount price. I am still amazed how far this thing glides on a laser-straight path at 50% power on the throw. And thrown with more power, it goes the distance of many understable mids.

2. TP Harp - most recent 'discovery', though I'd thought about getting one for some time. Once I did, it filled the OS approach niche perfectly. In conjunction with this, I learned the more proper uses of the Star Stud, so both discs thrown properly are saving me strokes.

3. Nate Doss Titanium Buzzz - saw Doss throwing his at DeLaveaga and used my PIAS freebie card to get one. Put it in the bag for tryouts and it has done so well that I can't keep it out of the bag(!). Holds hyzer lines with just the right amount of glide for certain holes on my home course. Goes very straight through tight tunnel shots, especially after it began seasoning in, but doesn't turn over or 'drift' right on RHBH throws. Decent forehand disc, ass well.

Honorable mentions: Champion Banshee, Champion Sidewinder.

Nice to see all the responses.

Dr.Smooth this year has a found an old friend in the discmania line. As in I dismissed innova after getting back in the game. I was just so tired of innova (remember back in the day when you had to walk thru 5 feet of snow to get to school it was just innova and discraft).

So yeah after reexamining innova's line up and started leaning towards discmania which is bascially in my opinion the tweaked molds of innova I found some cool stuff.

-FD, and PD in P line!

-and after ten plus years put a t bird back in the bag -KJ nybo run..sweet swirl star..

From triology what I bascially throw the most:

-biofuzion enforcers, longbowman and the saint (non pro)

Honorable mentions:

The discraft undertaker and discmania cd2

Last edited:
Carrying less discs has helped me in more ways than I'd imagined. I feel I have a better understanding of each disc in my bag now, so that's nice.

My biggest problem in answering is that I can't remember which "disc"-overies were in 2016 and which were earlier... but why would I let that stop me?

1) max weight Star Beast - getting some serious forehand and backhand time these days. Comfortable grip and not nearly as understable as I expected. Maybe I just got a good one?

2) ESP Surge with some dome - not in the bag right now, but I'm working my way back up to it. I like the glide and mild turn. Yes, it's wide-rimmed, but not quite so much as a Wraith.

3) Z Comet! - I had used this only for practice and some forehand anny shots. After sorting out some backhand grip issues, this thing is back in the bag and seeing lots of backhand air time for lots of different lines.

4) old Z "Predator" (now a Tsunami, I believe... RIP!) - I've always loved this for forehand, but it's great for backhand "longer Teebird" shots

5) 174 Relay - first turnover fairway I've been comfortable with. It's given me some birdies I never thought possible. Also fun for sky anny shots.

Honorable mention: Opto Pure, Z Crank, RFF Wizard

Carrying less discs has helped me in more ways than I'd imagined. I feel I have a better understanding of each disc in my bag now, so that's nice.

I'm at 12 molds and wanting to add another. It's a problem I think. Need to wind it down to 10-ish because I'm just not as fluid as I would be if I made things simpler.

Z Stalker

Z Stalker for me. Found one on the course and it weaseled its way into my bag and is quickly becoming irreplaceable. Never thrown a disc like it. Super straight with little late fade. Its become very good for holes that are just too long for mids, but too short for longer drivers.

It can be thrown with finesse and is very, very accurate and predictable.

ESP Meteor. I was throwing comets for the longest time and I could get them to turn over but it was with wrist roll and it was too squirrelly for me. I can throw my meteor just like my buzzz but it will always finish left (LHBH).

I'm gonna say the zone. Kinda skipped over that mold for awhile but really needed a good overstable approach disc and this is it. Anything under 200' with a little room to work and my soft x zone comes out to stick the landing.

Valkyrie, don't know why I never threw one before. Such effortless distance and they slot perfectly between my Pds an Mongeese (mongosses?)

Polecat. I bought a 150g, to try as a putter, when I'd been playing a month. It didn't work well putting in wind, so I put it away. Later, bought a 171g R-Pro. I don't know if I never gave it a decent try or what, but it ended up just sitting around for several years. This year I've been doing one disc rounds, with various discs, at nearby 9 hole course with most holes having more trees than is usual here. The R-Pro Polecat has won that competition, and the Polecat is now a favorite for putting and for many approach shots.

My original Atlas has made a comeback, since my arm still isn't back to where it was 2-3 years ago. Probably here to stay.

The ddx and the FD3. The metal flake DDx is easy easy distance on throws that need to finish right of the starting line (RHBH) with a slow HSS turn rather than a finicky tern. The FD3 is the beat firebird right out of the box. I keep a FAF firebird for more overstable stuff but the FD3 gives a little turn then always finishes left RHBH.

ballista: played the 2 disc trilogy challenge & found it was the disc i was looking for that would replace the beat in echo star destroyer that i had found & fell in luv with but never put my name on, then lost it on a blind shot into blackberrys. i use it for giant turnovers (sky annys).

finally discovered the PD, got one cheap here & threw it beside my thunderbird and it went 10-30ft further every time on the same line.

Latest posts