• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1000 foot barrier

I'm going to post them once I receive them from David Wiggins Sr but is there anyone in particular you'd like to know? I remember everyone's best throw I think...
Cool, what did you, GG, and Alex throw?

I threw 217 metres on Saturday, Alex had 270/271 metres on Monday and Garrett had 246 metres on Monday I believe.

I threw my Blizz Bosses on Monday so they kept falling out of the sky. I should have switched to more understable discs but I didn't have any - I should have borrowed some!

Cool, what did you, GG, and Alex throw?

I'm going to post them once I receive them from David Wiggins Sr but is there anyone in particular you'd like to know? I remember everyone's best throw I think...

I noticed Garrett Gurthie was NOT throwing 360's on Saturday and Sunday. Was GG's longest throw on Monday with the 360? Do you know if GG threw all three sets on Monday using the 360?

As has already been mentioned in another thread, even without wind speed restrictions, the golf disc still hasn't surpassed the aerobie flying ring records (1333 feet) set over 10 years ago. I wonder whether anybody is still trying to brake the aerobie ring record. Sure, it probably doesn't have the propensity to be carried by wind quite as much (due to less plate area), but I wonder what the current bump in throwers arm speed could do for this record.

The aerobie record holder, Erin Hemmings, has apparently been throwing discs at the high desert challenge (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj-FKhp-QtQ). So I wonder - why not aerobies?

Garrett threw mostly golf shots and it's better than the 360 for him since doing a 360 doesn't add any power to his throw because of the way he pulls under his left arm (I throw the same way).

One of his best shots was slow and controlled and allowed him to put all of his torque and snap on the disc.

I remember him throwing a mixture on Monday but mostly not 360 IIRC

I noticed Garrett Gurthie was NOT throwing 360's on Saturday and Sunday. Was GG's longest throw on Monday with the 360? Do you know if GG threw all three sets on Monday using the 360?

Firstly, these are both amazing athletes.

However, I couldn't agree more that this needs to be standardized to some extent. 39mph is classified as a Gale Force Wind: "Some twigs broken from trees. Cars veer on road. Progress on foot is seriously impeded."

In sprinting they won't acknowledge a world record if they have an assisting wind of greater than 5mph. Also, the 2014 record was 863.5' -- in what standardized sport do you see world records beaten by 29%?

Or, maybe I'm just jealous :eek:

Nice point Bart.

Wish these dam threads would merge somehow. Yeah that is the kind of point I'm trying to make. I'm all about the wind for distance contests but like you said this was beyond wind and meteorologicaly categorized as a gail.

And it brings up another valid point- safety. Simon was saying that the spotters were wearing masks because of sand blasting their face. Would you want to be out their spotting?

When it gets this extreme things change- your form, your disc selection, too much is going on here and were straying from the heart of what makes this event great.

The idea of throwing a golf disc not an aerobie this far under normal weather conditions (less than 39 mph winds I guess) is that it can translate to driving well on the course.

That is one of the key points here-an all out distance throw is also viable on some golf holes. Sorry Dave but that record breaking throw from a form point sucked. You were throwing it straight up into the sky.

When tree branches are about to fall on your head its time to get off the course. And it might be time to let the distance thrower know their throwing at their own risk and for personal records.

Last edited:
By the way Dave I wasn't busting your "" about your form in general. It is pretty dam amazing but I was trying to make a point that it was not how you normally throw a distance shot in terms of disc selection and the angle of the release.

Last edited:
It still takes the best form in the world to throw it straight up. Also I've never seen trees in the desert, nor heard of a pdga tournament called off because of 40mph winds.

It still blows my mind that any threw 1000+ with any amount of wind.

I threw for Max D on Friday, about 40 throws with a slight4-7 mph tail wind and my arm feels like doo doo today.

And I did okay for me, but it was still only about half of 1000 ft.