• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 150 flick vs. 170 flick

gcanter2376

Eagle Member
I here alot about people getting a 150 class flick vs getting a heavier. Was just wandering what the benefit was to having a lighter one. I bought a 150 but I feel like I could throw a heavier one better maybe.

Im curious about this as I always had 167-170ish and thought it would defeat the point to go that light. That and, the 150 isnt available in the plastic everyone liked for it in 150.

the 150 is a lot more overstable. the 150 is more of a utility disc than a normal thrower, and the heavier weights are easier to throw

The 150's are in esp, I also use mine as a utility disc. I have a 164 that I use as a forehand driver/utility as well. A good disc for those purposes

the 150 is a lot more overstable. the 150 is more of a utility disc than a normal thrower, and the heavier weights are easier to throw

Yeah this is what I use my 150 flick for utility shots. When I need to clear an obsticle and need the disc to die right away I use a150 flick. I rarely throw my 150 flick farther them 75 feet.

Cheers - Koffee

The best Flick is any Z Flick, regardless of weight.

The 150 Z is out of production, but coveted for its brick like qualities, even at that light of a weight.

A 150 ESP will beat into the flight characteristics of an R-Pro Boss really quickly, so its not so much a Flick any more. Great if you like R-Pro Boss's, but thats not why I bought a Flick

Maybe someday Dickcraft will do another run of Elite Z 150 class Flicks, until then, stick to the lightest Z you can find.

My thrower is a 168.

This is the exact opposite of the truth. Having thrown both, they are indeed totally different beasts. The 150 Flicks are great overhead discs. They are pretty overstable and have good glide. Unfortunately, they beat in very quickly in ESP and become (like someone else mentioned) much more like a slower 150 R-Pro Boss. After of few rounds, the 150 ESP Flicks flip easily and have to be thrown on a huge S line to get any distance. There are better disc's for this type of shot. Why 150 Z Flicks are oop is beyond me. I lost mine months ago haven't found a replacement.

The 170ish Z Flicks are meat horses in comparison. My Z 170 is actually very difficult to use as an overhead disc because it takes so much effort to get it to roll over. As a FH utiliy disc it is very useful: short S's, shots that have to get around something and fall hard, spike hyzers, etc. And because of its thin, sharp edge, the heavy Z Flicks are also great for recovery shots when you have no choice but to crash through leaves/bushes and back to safety.

In summary: 150's are great OH throwers but beat-in too fast unless in oop Z.
Z 170+ are meathooks.

Z 170's are beast from OH shots. The 150's not so much for me - The wind kills them.

Yeah this is what I use my 150 flick for utility shots. When I need to clear an obsticle and need the disc to die right away I use a150 flick. I rarely throw my 150 flick farther them 75 feet.

Cheers - Koffee

150 flick was like a brick? I thought it had much more glide than a heavy flick and could put that thing out to 300 much easier than I could a heavy flick. Would turn over slightly but always come back, perfect for long low hyzers.

Latest posts