• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] 1989-2019 photo archive of PDGA-approved discs

Very cool!

It's crazy to see how many discs have been approved per year in the past 10 years vs the 80s-90s.

Is the rim config important for it to make the approved list? Just wondering because of all the inconsistency in some molds like the Destroyer. I guess it just has to be in the approved range and manufacturer doesn't need to make it approved again? Same with flexibility?

Dude! This is a treasure! Thank you so much. PDGA or DGCR, how can we get this to a more public/permanent installation ?

That's quite a collection. Kudos to you for documenting all of this and putting it together in an easy to use Drive file.

Very interesting. How about properties of differing plastics? Like if something is sent for approval in plastic N and later they mold it up in Fluster which happens (that time) to make it super stiff, to the point where it is not flexible enough to be approved.

Like with the G9i Wizards. The Wizard was an approved mold, and then they ran it in a plastic that made it super stiff, somebody blew the whistle and you guys re-test it? Is that how it goes?

Why are those 1999 discs (Eagle, Teebird, Leo, JLS) all so flat-top? Were all of them flat-top back then? I rather would have thought that flat-top discs are a rather newish style and they had usually more dome back then ...

Why are those 1999 discs (Eagle, Teebird, Leo, JLS) all so flat-top? Were all of them flat-top back then? I rather would have thought that flat-top discs are a rather newish style and they had usually more dome back then ...

My guess is DX plastic. It's always been a flatter disc compared to the more modern plastics.

Wait, I'm just realizing what this truly means - we now have an easily accessible archive of...…. PROFILE PICS

mods: can we please consider stickying this and removing all the stickies regarding the DGCR mold?

Very cool!

It's crazy to see how many discs have been approved per year in the past 10 years vs the 80s-90s.

Well, we've gone from six companies making discs when I started (Wham-O, DGA, Destiny/Dynamic -- the original Dynamic -- , Discraft, Innova-Champion, and Lightning in the U.S only when I started testing discs in 1990, to now with 76 companies (perhaps a couple of dozen of these or so now out of business) in 11 different countries.

Is the rim config important for it to make the approved list? Just wondering because of all the inconsistency in some molds like the Destroyer. I guess it just has to be in the approved range and manufacturer doesn't need to make it approved again? Same with flexibility?

Well, we considered it so or we wouldn't have added it as a new standard back in 1994. Disc like the Destroyer weren't even a consideration back in 1994, but Discraft's Eclipse, then the sharpest disc, was. And the Flazer that was even much sharper and stiffer was a real consideration for safety concerns. If you're interested, give me your email address and I can send you the 1994 article I wrote for the PDGA's Disc Golfer on the rim configuration and flex tests here, as it doesn't look like I can attach pdf files here.

Dude! This is a treasure! Thank you so much. PDGA or DGCR, how can we get this to a more public/permanent installation ?

I'm hoping that these photos can be linked through a database on discs that will be available through the PDGA website later this year.

Very interesting. How about properties of differing plastics? Like if something is sent for approval in plastic N and later they mold it up in Fluster which happens (that time) to make it super stiff, to the point where it is not flexible enough to be approved.

Like with the G9i Wizards. The Wizard was an approved mold, and then they ran it in a plastic that made it super stiff, somebody blew the whistle and you guys re-test it? Is that how it goes?

There is a very long history on this that I don't have time to recount here. But the short version is that tried to convince the PDGA Board to require all variants of models (basically variations of plastic from what was originally submitted, tested, approved, and certified for use in PDGA events) of approved models to be tested about two decades ago. About a decade ago, the Board finally supported me and so we required variants to be submitted and tested. But some of the manufacturers pitched a fit, claiming that that was too government, that it was too onerous for them to have to submit so many discs for testing. The Board was pressured to reverse their decision and they did so. So now we are left with the current situation, where manufacturers can but are not required to submit disc variants for testing, and even when they do submit them, the PDGA does not require a fee for doing so.

You're asking the wrong person, I only test and approve/reject discs that are sent to me. I'm not in the business of designing them and in fact that would be a conflict of interest of me to do so. Please direct questions like that to the manufacturers if you like. You can find their contact info here: https://www.pdga.com/files/manufacturerscontactinfo_02252019.pdf

I'm not a regular here, so I'm not sure what that even means.

Oh this was not directed at you, sir. I think your contribution here is a valuable one and what I meant is that this thread should stay somewhere near the top of the page always so newcomers can spot the link.

That's quite a collection. Kudos to you for documenting all of this and putting it together in an easy to use Drive file.

Thanks, I donated a complete collection of every disc model that I've tested to the Disc Golf Foundation, the PDGA's 501(3)c nonprofit organization. I thought it important to save all of these discs without throwing them from when I first became Chair of the PDGA Technical Standards Committee 30 years ago, so that's what I did. Previously, discs submitted for PDGA testing by the first PDGA Administrator Darrell Lynn (#794) were thrown and not saved for permanent curation.

Oh this was not directed at you, sir. I think your contribution here is a valuable one and what I meant is that this thread should stay somewhere near the top of the page always so newcomers can spot the link.

Okay, thanks. I hope that as many as possible find these photos of use. I'm an archaeologist and so I always think long term about the importance of this kind of information.

There is a very long history on this that I don't have time to recount here. But the short version is that tried to convince the PDGA Board to require all variants of models (basically variations of plastic from what was originally submitted, tested, approved, and certified for use in PDGA events) of approved models to be tested about two decades ago. About a decade ago, the Board finally supported me and so we required variants to be submitted and tested. But some of the manufacturers pitched a fit, claiming that that was too government, that it was too onerous for them to have to submit so many discs for testing. The Board was pressured to reverse their decision and they did so. So now we are left with the current situation, where manufacturers can but are not required to submit disc variants for testing, and even when they do submit them, the PDGA does not require a fee for doing so.

You must like the Daredevil Discs way of one mold with a different plastic equals a unique name and approved certification! I guess Innova/Discraft would run out of names and it looks like it's not easy to maintain exactly the same plastic characteristics overtime.

Last edited: