• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

haha.....no - he is much smarter and more respected than me.
signed,
Stephen A. Smith

haha.....no - he is much smarter and more respected than me.
signed,
Stephen A. Smith

quite frankly I find it insulting you are trying to impersonate me.

SIGNED,

the REAL STEPHEN A SMITH.

p.s. Tebow sucks.

This thread is just a testament to how easy he makes it look. There are plenty of the top players throwing flicks and lefty backhands on many of these shots to ensure they cut into the hills and stop and don't roll into the plethora of OB on this course. He is not only placing his shots he's landing them softly on each differently sloped fairway or green. Your telling me that's not finesse? Calling 20 of these shots hyzers is way too big of a sweeping generalization.

Amen. Didn't see allot of fast greens, and water hazards in Charlotte. Do not take away what Paul did. I think the biggest was that he did what he had to do being 7 shots down, and almost came back to win it! It without question (imho) was the greatest round in history!

FYI...holes 7, 8, and 18 aren't just hyzers.

That may be so. I have never been to that course so all I have to go on is pictures, videos, and aerial maps.

After watching the video, it occurred to me that i did not see Paul throw one side-arm, one anny, one roller, one overhand. So I asked the question in that thread. While I was typing my first post here (so as not to "rain on the parade" of that thread) Paul was kind enough to reply:

13 outta 39

but thats mostly just because the disc finishes that way. spike hyzers i would say maybe 8

So....whether it was 20 or 17 or 13, I do not believe that this course tests that many disc golf skills. There was not one single hole that Paul approached finishing left to right.

That in no way takes away from an astounding accomplishment nor the FACT that 1126 is the highest rated round ever. Nor does it take away from the FACT that Paul passed every test that that course could throw at him with flying colors (well....maybe not wind). And it does not take away from the FACT that Paul is one of the best players ever (he won Worlds 2012 on some very technical/demanding courses).

My point has everything to do about the course, and absolutely nothing to do with Paul personally.

I think it's fair to consider that there are enough differences in course lengths and types that each category can have "best ever" rounds. Although the 1126 is the highest rated of all, note that it is in the course SSA category ranging from 48-54 where 13 of the 19 rounds rated 1100 or higher reside. The highest in the SSA 54-60 category is now Nikko around 1118 and Barry stands alone with an 1100 in the SSA 60-66 category. Kenny has the 1117 on a 24-hole layout that effectively falls in the under 48 SSA category as an 18-hole equivalent. No 1100+ rounds ever shot in over 66 SSA category.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why "best" needs to be defined. He shot an amazing round. Not to discredit but amazing rounds have happened before and they will happen again.

Just because robert horry has like 7 rings doesn't make him in the top 50 players ever. I've heard that jordan wouldn't be as amazing now bc he never had to play against guys like dwight howard. But alas the game has changed since his airness had left the throne. And now my whole post comes together.

"Best" will always be subjective.

:popcorn:

"Best" will always be subjective.

Since you are munching :popcorn:, I did not start this thread arguing against anyone calling
this 39 the "best round ever". I had seen "highest rated ever", but not seen anyone saying/posting "best round ever" before I started this thread.....although I have seen a bunch now since.

This website is Disc Golf COURSE Review.....but it seems like threads about courses are diminishing here while topics of discs, companies, rules, players, teams are becoming all the rage.

It is amusing to see all the reaction thinking the OP is somehow a discredit to Paul. If anything, it is a DISCredit to a showcase course (but not a discredit to a showcase event, mind you).

Since we are talking about best rounds. This reminds me of a convo that the course designer and I were having right after Paul Ulibari smoked an 1100 plus rated round at the BHMO! At the Bluegrass the week before Dion smoked Idlewild shooting a 72 which was 8 strokes better than the next player for that round and in it's own right was a pretty insane round. Unquestionably this is a much harder thing to do, then what Uli did at the Hambrick the next week. My question is does having Par 5 and more eagle opportunities for these guys raise or lower their round ratings. Also do bigger fields elevate the ratings in away if their are worse players playing MPO. I've always wondered why his round was so low. Also Doss shot under 1000 for that round also!

plagiarism twist alert

One cool measure is to calculate the ratio of Roung Rating to SSA. In this case: 1126/52.1 = 21.6. The higher the number, the better the round.

I don't have recent data, but some old hot rounds for comparison:
24.0 - Climo 1117/46.6 (adjusted 24 holes - does this make it invalid?) (score 49/36.7)
21.6 - McBeth 1126/52.1 (score 39)
21.0 - MJ 1113/53 Worlds (score 41)
20.8 - Skinner 1117/53.7 (score 41)
19.2 - Nikko 1118/58.3 Round 1 Memorial this year (score 44)
19.0 - Feldberg 1098/57.8 (Memorial 2008) (score 46)
15.6 - Doss/Jenkins 1084/69.7 (Winthrop 2008) (score 55)

I'm not sure this has any statistical validity, but whatever.

SSA is garbage. I can throw a 1000 rated round at Calvert using the SSA.

Sorry, I meant DGCR SSE. I thought that was the stat you were using. I tried to edit and ran out of time.

Last edited:

Latest posts