• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pozzy's Putting game

My putting is pretty awful, but it is improving rapidly thanks to this game and reviewing Blake's comments on putting threads.

I was always in the negatives when I started doing it a couple weeks back, but now I have a high score of 31 (still bad, I know) and I get in the positives a lot.

Reeling in the comeback putts on the 40 and 50 footers while still making good runs is key.

Also, I generally take my comeback putts to the minimum distance line if they are all within 10 feet. Not a lot of use to practice 5 footers...

I guess I need to do something diffrent. I only mark off every 25 feet. I putt at 25, 50 , 75, and 100 ft.

After some trades on here, I'll have 9 putters.

Hopefully I get out and play this or something similar.

My putting needs it. :shock:

This game has been great for improving my putting. I really think a high score sticky would be nice.

schla104 said:
This game has been great for improving my putting. I really think a high score sticky would be nice.

Even though I havnt played the game in a couple of months I also think a sticky for high score would be nice as well.

Hey guys, It is awesome that this has caught on with some of you. I just had hernia surgery and have been rehabing a back injury so not playing much, but wii for sure be marking off my new yard for quick pozzy games. I have been putting thirty footers in my yard about every time I go back there for somthing and when I do make it to the course, 30 foot feels like brushing my teeth! not that I am making them all, but they are no stress.

(I posted this on pdga.com as well, but originally got the idea from reading this thread -- I'd love to hear responses/thoughts from the folks who frequent this board.)

As a city dweller, I just moved into a townhouse with a basement, and I've been working on a modified version of the Pozzy Putting Game for smaller spaces. I have a small backyard and no good putting parks nearby, so the basement is my best bet for improving my rounds.

I am fairly sure that my 960s-rating comes from something like being a 920-rated putter, a 950-rated driver, and a 1020-rated recovery-shot taker after I kick off into the rough. I don't expect my drives to ever get to 1000-rated range -- I just don't have the arm for it -- but I think everyone has the potential to be a 1000-rated putter if they practice (I've just never practiced).

Anyway, for others who might be in similar, confined spaces, I thought I would share my miniaturized version of the Pozzy Putting Game, in case anyone else wants to compete.

My max range in the basement is 35' feet, so I've got tape at 15', 20', 25', 30' and 35'. It's got a six-foot ceiling, so it's going to force me to run the basket -- no loft putting practice for me. Also, because it is enclosed, there is no real way to practice comeback putts or roll-aways, since discs will always hit the wall behind the basket. So I have to eliminate the Pozzy penalties for comeback putts.

I decided to make it a game of percentages -- pick the percentage that I think I should hit at each distance, and penalize the score for each missed shot outside that number (use 10 putters at each distance to make it easy to track). Because every missed putt costs one stroke. I don't think penalties should be higher for missing a 15' putt than for a 30' putt -- they are worth the same on the course -- but you should be held to a higher percentage expectation the closer you are to the basket.

For me, at my current putting level, I'm setting the baseline at the following levels for each distance:

15' - 100% (each missed shot is -5 points)
20' - 80% (each miss less than 8/10 is -5 points; each putt above 8/10 is positive 2 points, double round points (to a total of 8) if you make all 10 putts)
25' - 50% (each miss less than 5/10 is -5 points; each putt above 5/10 is positive 3 points, double round points (to a total of 30) if you make all 10 putts)
30' - 20% (each miss less than 2/10 is -5 points; each putt above 2/10 is positive 4 points; double points (to a total of 64) if you make all 10 putts)
35' - 0% (you don't have to make any of these putts; every putt you make is worth 5 points; double points (to a total of 100) if you make all 10 putts)

So if you make all 50 putts, you get a total of 0+8+30+64+100: 202. Which seems like a good name for this variation: "Putting 202"-- sounds like a sophomore college course, which is basically what my putting needs.

A benefit I see to this way of scoring is that it places emphasis on at least hitting your percentages at each distance. And if you come in below your percentages, you really have to shoot well to make up for it at the greater distances. The reason that 35' out is worth 5 points is that -- at least for me -- anything I hit at 35' feels like a gift, and feels like it "makes up for" a missed putt somewhere else in the round. So this scoring system is close to how I feel scoring "feels" out on the course. To score ANY positive points, I have to exceed my minimum percentages.

Another benefit is that if you are playing with friends, it makes it easy to handicap players of different skill levels -- just raise or lower the required percentages for each distance. (If you're playing with a new player who isn't expected to hit all 10 from 15', use 1 point to score discs above the target %).

Obviously, based on some of the posts above, this putting regimen would be a joke to some folks who are already hitting high percentages at greater distances than 35' -- for me, however, I worked out the details for this game yesterday, and in five rounds, my cumulative score was negative, so I've got some work to do.

I plan to try these rules and percentages for a few weeks; my goal is to get to where I can score 50+ consistently; I think anything over 100 is a ridiculously good score. I think moving from sub-zero to +50 would add at least 25 points to my PDGA rating if I could match that performance on the course.

The last rule I steal directly from the original Pozzy game -- if you don't finish the game you started, you have to quit for the day; no bailing out just because you start out poorly. Push through and fight to recover -- just like a real round. I think this definitely helps the mental game.

If anyone wants to try 202 and post scores for me to shoot for, go for it. I plan to track some rounds and post the results as an exercise in self-humiliation.

Played four rounds before bed last night (5/29) scores: -40, -12, 8, 4

I like this format Tim. I'm making a spreadsheet using your formula and the other format as well. Using the spreadsheet I only need to keep track of what putts I hit and when I'm done I just plug them into the spreadsheet and it calculates my total.

One can adjust the points awarded according to one's skill. Personally, I'd go 60% for 25 footers, 40% for 30 footers, and 20% for 35 footers. I'm not a real big fan of practicing putts of greater than 35 feet, but to each his own.

I suppose the better you get the longer the putts you will need to practice. That's why I don't practice anything outside of 35 feet. :lol:

Oh yeah, first time I played your format I shot 54. Best of luck!

Let the revival begin!!

Starting Jan. 1 '09 RusyP and I are going to start a friendly competition involving the pozzy putting game. That will continue on a quarterly basis. With the winner getting some nice 'n tasty brew.

We are going to be posting our scores on this thread and would hopefully like to get everyone else involved so we can all post our scores through here and hopefully watch everyone progress. I believe this will be a fun way to compete and get better at putting all at once.

I believe RustyP is going to follow up with the rules we are going to play by. I would try to explain but he seems to be better at that than I am. We modified the rules slightly from the original version but we think it will give better practice. We will be playing from 15', 20', 25', 30' and 40'. Also there will be no point deduction for missing a putt from 15' but you only score 10 points when you make all 10 putts. Other than that I believe its all pretty much the same.

Bring on the scores..............................BITCHES

Also, Id like to request that we sticky this thread for score keeping purposes!

Disc junkie's description of our rules was spot-on, but I'll list them again anyway since they're a little different than the original rules posted earlier in the thread:

From 15' - make all 10 putts for 10pts, miss even 1 and you get 0pts. No deductions for missed first tries, but deduct 1pt for each missed come-back putt. Deduct 2pts for each come-back that you miss the 2nd time around, and so on if you keep missing.

From 20' - score 1pt for each putt made. Deduct 2pts for each missed come-back putt. Deduct 4pts for each come-back that you miss the 2nd time around, and so on. Make all 10 and get double the points!

From 25' - score 2pts for each putt made. Deduct 4pts for each missed come-back putt. Deduct 8pts for each come-back that you miss the 2nd time around. Make all 10 and get double the points!

From 30' - score 5pts for each putt made. Deduct 10pts for each missed come-back putt. Deduct 20pts for each come-back that you miss the 2nd time around. Make all 10 and get double the points!

From 40' - score 10pts for each putt made. Deduct 20pts for each missed come-back putt. Deduct 40pts for each come-back putt you miss the 2nd time around. Make all 10 and get double the points!

Mine and disc junkie's game will begin on January 1 and end on March 31. Play as many rounds as you want, but once you start a round you MUST finish and MUST include the score in your overall average...I think we're an honorable bunch, but I'll say it anyway: No cheating! Also, we're setting a 1 round per week minimum.

Feel free to post your scores here...

Disc junkie and I are putting some tasty craft beer on the line as our wager...anybody else wanna get in on the action? Since we're both in TX, we decided that we'd eventually meet up at a tourney later in the year to award the winner his prize.

sounds fun, it's always good to practice putting

thanks for the post bud :D

The Official DJ/RP Pozzy Beer Challenge 2009 doesn't start until tomorrow, but so far...

12/29
Round 1: 66pts
Round 2: 40pts

12/30
Round 1: 97pts
Round 2: 55pts

Once my new Wizards get here...
ITS ON BRUTH'RRRR!
hulk%20hogan.jpg

23.jpg

12/30
Round 1: 69 (only round I could do)

tomorrow 01/01/09 Im bringing the pain.....WHHHHHHHHAT A Ruuuuush!!

dvdroadwarriors.jpg

that beer will be mine.............chump 8)

Forgot to post last week's round:

Friday, January 16: 24pts :(

Last night (Monday, January 19)...during my warm-up putts, Blake's apex putting finally started to click with me, and that's where the fun began:

Round 1: 107pts
Round 2: 112pts

:twisted:

Latest posts