• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 national collegiate championships

To keep on the idea of fundraising, I'd like to continue talking about discs.

I think it would be really cool if schools/players came down with extra custom-stamped discs to trade. I'd buy a bunch of Flattop Rocs, Aviars, etc if I knew I could trade PSU stamps for stamps from across the country--Arkansas, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, etc. Please trade with me :D

What do you guys think? Here's what ours look like:

60933_1637677667011_1388829726_31676023_3379417_s.jpg

we are having cfr discs made for a fundraiser tourney we are having on campus in march. i got to help our president design the course so it will be cool to play a course i helped with. we just have to setup portable baskets, but hopefully this will be a doorway to a permanent course on campus in the near future. if we have discs left over, we will certainly bring them to nationals.

To keep on the idea of fundraising, I'd like to continue talking about discs.

I think it would be really cool if schools/players came down with extra custom-stamped discs to trade. I'd buy a bunch of Flattop Rocs, Aviars, etc if I knew I could trade PSU stamps for stamps from across the country--Arkansas, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, etc. Please trade with me :D

What do you guys think? Here's what ours look like:

60933_1637677667011_1388829726_31676023_3379417_s.jpg

Great idea. We were planning on bringing a box of our customs anyways. I would love to start a collection of college stamp discs. We were very fortunate to have a local graphic artist (and Tech alumnus) design ours. Here's some of the detail:

picture.php

I know South Carolina has custom stamp "Cock Rocs", and Florida had club customs too. I'll get in touch with the collegiate club contacts I have and ask them to bring some club discs to Nats. I'll be seeing half a dozen schools this weekend at the Alabama Slammer anyways.

Hey just wondering how many colleges have club disc golf teams and how could you start one? the reason why i am asking is because im in high school and i think this would be sweet if i could do this in college.

I wish it wasn't in Georgia every year. I will never make it there, but I am curious, with the college that won last year, what were the players rated just so I can get a comparison of how our college would do.

Hey just wondering how many colleges have club disc golf teams and how could you start one? the reason why i am asking is because im in high school and i think this would be sweet if i could do this in college.

I think disc golf is a smaller, more regional sport, so it depends on where you go to school. At PSU, you just go to the Club Sports department, and ask if they have a club available. We started our club two years ago. A lot of paperwork and safety/insurance regulations have to be met before you can get funding from the school. Funding is key. So before you do anything else, find your school's Club Sports department and ask there. Other places to look--Intramural Sports, Rec Sports, etc.

Chris--I really dig the Georgia Tech stamps. What types do you have? I'm so pumped to get my hands on a couple of those. A thrower and a collectible.

I wish it wasn't in Georgia every year. I will never make it there, but I am curious, with the college that won last year, what were the players rated just so I can get a comparison of how our college would do.

Check the 2010 NCDGU Final Standings and then the PDGA scores for the event. I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to work the PDGA site, but it's a POS, and crashes frequently. Anyways, the guy I know from Indiana University of Pennsylvania is rated 940 and he finished on the Second-Team All American squad, which I believe was #9-#16. Whatever the actual rankings were, they're damn good golfers.

Texas State should have discs to trade or sell. Getting some made up here in the next month. Would be awesome to trade with other schools

I am feeling lazy right now so I am hoping someone will pull the info for me, but at UWO, we got 3 960 rated golfers and I think we would be able to hold our own. We tried to go one year, but whoever is in charge didn't even respond to our email which I would imagine is because we are not a bigger school. I have sort of had a grudge against it since then.

I am feeling lazy right now so I am hoping someone will pull the info for me, but at UWO, we got 3 960 rated golfers and I think we would be able to hold our own. We tried to go one year, but whoever is in charge didn't even respond to our email which I would imagine is because we are not a bigger school. I have sort of had a grudge against it since then.

I found it very hard to contact the Collegiate Union over the past year. We had multiple people from my club send them emails and we never got a reply. When the 2011 NCDGC site went up(ncdgc.com) I contacted the email provided there and got almost immediate response from Alan. I think registration is now at the wait list point if you haven't signed up. So you would have to win a play in spot or hope some qualifier teams don't register for 2011.

You've got your wish, it's in South Carolina this year! :clap:

Ratings aren't too important. Most players at this level are improving faster than their ratings will show anyways, so it's not that useful of a metric. But as for individual round ratings, you'd need a team shooting consistent 940+ rated rounds to be a top contender. Sounds easy on paper, but actually doing that in the 20+ mph winds on the Hippo course is another thing. And the kid who won the individual title is rated now rated over 1000.

Zach - We've got a couple Star Destroyers and DX Wraiths left. But we just got a shipment of CFRs for the collegiate tourney we're hosting in March, so we'll have something there for sure.

This is a great event, I hope to see the list continue to grow with time!

And...go CSUMB!

Can anyone who has played in this event in the past give us a heads up on what we should expect, and what we should pack?

I noticed most teams had school tents along, and team flags. Any other school stuff we should try and bring?

Also, any info on how format worked last year would be great. Were doubles partners able to switch up? What courses were played and when?

Thanks

Hey Rockwell!

Last year the player's pack was the following: 1 DX Roc with the National Collegiate Disc Golf Union Seal as the stamp, 1 dry-fit shirt with a similar seal, International Disc Golf Center minis, PDGA stickers and rule books, and--best of all--lunch for each day. Player entry fee was $20 last year, and I was really impressed with how far they made that go.

As far as team gear, the NCDGU asks that you bring a flag to display your school's colors at the main tent. If you want to bring your own canopy (highly recommended), you can. It got really sunny down there, so shade was excellent. Last year we avoided any rain, but I doubt that little canopy's would help much anyways. I've been a big proponent of this with a few other (GT_Chris), but you should bring school stamped/dyed discs so we can swap :D

Format can be found on the NCDGU website. Last year we were able to switch partners between each round. For example, I played doubles for PSU with 2 different partners on Friday and Sunday. I did not play in the singles rounds for my school. Both courses--the Hippodrome and the Hogback--will host players every day. Which one you play at which time simply depends on how well you're doing and how the TD sets it up.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks PSUDGC17,
That's all super helpful info and just what I was looking for. Looking forward to it big time.

Aren't you also required to all be wearing outfits with your school colors?

Good call! I forgot to mention that the NCDGU asks that you wear matching uniforms on Sunday. Last year we went with dry-wicking polos, but we may try something else this year, too. I don't think they will require school colors all 4 days, though.

Can anyone who has played in this event in the past give us a heads up on what we should expect, and what we should pack?

PSUDGC17 covered it pretty well. Definitely bring some folding chairs for waiting around before/between rounds. And FWIW, The Hippo and Hogback courses don't eat a whole lot of plastic (no deep water or thick shule), so you shouldn't need to bring a bunch of backups. If you're driving then it doesn't matter, but if you're flying in it's probably not worth checking an extra bag.

And bring school spirit-y stuff. Last year Oregon brought a giant inflatable duck for their site. It was awesome.

You've got your wish, it's in South Carolina this year! :clap:

Ratings aren't too important. Most players at this level are improving faster than their ratings will show anyways, so it's not that useful of a metric. But as for individual round ratings, you'd need a team shooting consistent 940+ rated rounds to be a top contender. Sounds easy on paper, but actually doing that in the 20+ mph winds on the Hippo course is another thing. And the kid who won the individual title is rated now rated over 1000.

Zach - We've got a couple Star Destroyers and DX Wraiths left. But we just got a shipment of CFRs for the collegiate tourney we're hosting in March, so we'll have something there for sure.

My highest rated round to date was hippo black at nationals :doh:

Couldn't putt for ****, but I somehow pulled out a 60 (996)

PSUDGC17 covered it pretty well. Definitely bring some folding chairs for waiting around before/between rounds. And FWIW, The Hippo and Hogback courses don't eat a whole lot of plastic (no deep water or thick shule), so you shouldn't need to bring a bunch of backups. If you're driving then it doesn't matter, but if you're flying in it's probably not worth checking an extra bag.

And bring school spirit-y stuff. Last year Oregon brought a giant inflatable duck for their site. It was awesome.

Just another note... Last year there was at least one dude selling plastic there. If you're in dire need (or searching for something like I am), bear in mind that there will be someone there who could hook you up. I don't remember his prices being ridiculous, but they were higher than online, stores, etc. because he had the "I'm already here in front of you" market going for him.