• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

played today at the Hornings Hideout AR and we all were saying that it flew a lot of the same lines that you would throw a t-bird and or an eagle, I thought the disc felt and flew like my gateway assasin, all in all a very good disc but not really an ace race mold.

Just watched a bunch of the videos of this year's Race. You can tell it's nice and stable from the flight patterns seen on film...not really a beginner's type disc. I wonder if it molded up more stable than DC expected?

There are a bunch of events today, so maybe we'll get some more reviews. :thmbup:

It might be more overstable than what DC was going for/expected - but I don't think that they would have produced 10,000 discs for AR events and thought "boy, I bet if you threw one of these, they should be great beginner discs"

I'm sure they field tested them and decided that they are like TeeBirds, and I bet they are very pleased with themselves, and good job. Haven't had our AR yet - on Aug 31 - but when I started, I had an eagle and that was a very good beginner driver. Kids, don't do Nukes, they are bad for you.

I always recommend fairways to beginners - Nice job DC :hfive:

I played my ace race event yesterday. I think the course was made properly for the previous years type of discs. With this being more of a driver I think it's going to put tds in a harder spot. We had several short holes and the driver just seemed to be the wrong thig to throw. Again I think it was discraft selection not so much on the TD. as for my feelings of the disc. I put it on the speed level of a stag and the stability of maybe the stalker. It's not a bad fairway driver. On the holes about 180-210 feet it was a good disc. My best runs with this disc was with the longer holes. But trying to use it as a mid/putter for for short tight shots was awfully hard. The disc may or may not make it in the bag. Now it's making me second guess how I want to set up the ace race I'm hosting. Cause I like the shorter holes but I think I may keep some of the shorter normal teebox placements and keep everything in the 150-225 range. And not so much the 75-170 range which is what I expected

JohnE McCray and I were checking these discs out this morning.

He reached into his bag and pulled out a Gateway Apache and compared the two. The Apache was maybe a tad bit more domey, but the discs were very similar.

JohnE McCray and I were checking these discs out this morning.

He reached into his bag and pulled out a Gateway Apache and compared the two. The Apache was maybe a tad bit more domey, but the discs were very similar.

Well I guess my stalker/stag comment wasn't to far if as the apache is one step down on speed compared to stag and 2 over in stability to the stalker

I played in my Ace Race today and had lots of fun but this is clearly not a beginner disc. It is definitely overstable for those with weaker arms/slower arm speed. We had mostly shorter holes too, and the disc flew very nicely on flex shots but still needed quite a bit of power to execute. I had only one metal hit and no aces. The Disc reminded me of a fresh Z Tracker. On a Discraft rating scale I would give it a 1.8.

It was a good day all said.

I played in my Ace Race today and had lots of fun but this is clearly not a beginner disc. It is definitely overstable for those with weaker arms/slower arm speed. We had mostly shorter holes too, and the disc flew very nicely on flex shots but still needed quite a bit of power to execute. I had only one metal hit and no aces. The Disc reminded me of a fresh Z Tracker. On a Discraft rating scale I would give it a 1.8.

It was a good day all said.

More overstable than a Surge???

I think I may have to ignore this thread altogether until I get my hands on a disc. So far it's been compared favorably to a Teebird, an Eagle, a Viking, and a Tracker.

That's a helluva lot of variance.

:\

I agree with the above. (Jed).I had alot of issues trying to slow the disc down do I wouldn't bypass the basket. With alot of no more then long putt holes it was to hard to control at that low of a speed.

More overstable than a Surge???

I think I may have to ignore this thread altogether until I get my hands on a disc. So far it's been compared favorably to a Teebird, an Eagle, a Viking, and a Tracker.

That's a helluva lot of variance.

:\

Yea. It's all the matter of throwing style. But it seems pretty universal that it is believed to be an estimated 7/8 speed driver.

Personally I would agree with the eagle comparisons. No way it flies like a teebird for me.

Texhop, did you play the cleburne ar?

Doesn't sound like it's a great disc for running the chains, but might be better suited for taking a hyzer line and playing for skip aces...
:popcorn:

Personally I would agree with the eagle comparisons. No way it flies like a teebird for me.

Texhop, did you play the cleburne ar?

Yep great event,and good setup. Just think it was the wrong disc. It's really making me rethink the set up for the one I'm running in sept

I played my ace race event yesterday. I think the course was made properly for the previous years type of discs. With this being more of a driver I think it's going to put tds in a harder spot. We had several short holes and the driver just seemed to be the wrong thig to throw. Again I think it was discraft selection not so much on the TD. as for my feelings of the disc. I put it on the speed level of a stag and the stability of maybe the stalker. It's not a bad fairway driver. On the holes about 180-210 feet it was a good disc. My best runs with this disc was with the longer holes. But trying to use it as a mid/putter for for short tight shots was awfully hard. The disc may or may not make it in the bag. Now it's making me second guess how I want to set up the ace race I'm hosting. Cause I like the shorter holes but I think I may keep some of the shorter normal teebox placements and keep everything in the 150-225 range. And not so much the 75-170 range which is what I expected

Yep great event,and good setup. Just think it was the wrong disc. It's really making me rethink the set up for the one I'm running in sept

Even with a disc that's not ideal for those shorter lengths, I still like to see the shorter holes. If you make all the holes 150'+ and have several over 200' you make it about the experienced players not about the new players and kids that the ace race is most important for. It's not the end of the world if your ace chances blow way past the basket, you don't have to make the comeback putt. The ace race shouldn't be about the best local players being the only ones with a chance to compete, and that's exactly what happens when you lengthen the course.

I totally agree with you on that. I believe it should be up for grabs and one of the reason I love the idea is because anyone can win. But I also want to provide a good experience. The short tee I am looki g at is having our three shortest holes stay their length 222,211, and 161. The 222 may get changed, but the 211 is downhill and plays like 180. But for this event I do feel like chains should be set at the 150 plus or minus mark. the 40-60 footers are the ones I think are hard especially in tight spaces(putting between trees). It just didn't make a good close range disc. We only had one ace all day. And there was a he 30 feet away that no one could hit.

An update on my opinion of the TI fairway driver proto...

I was bitter after using it for the Ace Race but it has now earned a spot in my bag and I use it every game. I basically use it as mid-range for extreme hyzers since my actual mid-range discs tend to straighten/flatten out and throwing a driver short distance isn't reliable for me. It has definitely improved my game with nice lay ups when in a sketchy spot. It can be very slippery with wild skips if thrown too hard or far though.

Last edited:
We had our AR Sunday and I'm thinking Discraft called them beginner friendly because of the weights? 2/3 of our discs were 170 and below with at least 10 160-163. I didn't see any max weights at all.

Ya, I think Dave was setting it up for how ace races have typically set up for in the past. The disc did seem an odd choice. I wasn't expecting overstable-as-heck when I hear "beginner-friendly".

Is the low number of aces/metals typical for these events? One ace seemed kinda low to me, as well as three metal hits. The Cleburne locals fared very poorly (I think we had three metal hits collectively, kinda embarrassing), so I wasn't sure what to think of it. I never really got a handle on the disc, just too darn overstable for me, especially throwing it lightly on the shorter holes.

Ya, I think Dave was setting it up for how ace races have typically set up for in the past. The disc did seem an odd choice. I wasn't expecting overstable-as-heck when I hear "beginner-friendly".

Is the low number of aces/metals typical for these events? One ace seemed kinda low to me, as well as three metal hits. The Cleburne locals fared very poorly (I think we had three metal hits collectively, kinda embarrassing), so I wasn't sure what to think of it. I never really got a handle on the disc, just too darn overstable for me, especially throwing it lightly on the shorter holes.

It really depends on the course setup. I've played longer setups where scores like that are pretty typical and shorter setups where almost everyone had at least a metal hit and the winners had 4 or more aces.

Latest posts