• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Beaver State Fling presented by Keen Footwear

Right on. How many parts for the final rounds and chase card. Was hoping to watch in sequential order before watching the playoffs posted. Thanks

There will be 2 parts for the Final round Chase card, and 2 parts for the final round Lead card.

We also filmed the McBeth and McBride card along with the Eagle, Brody, Sexton card first round.

in addition to that we filmed the chase card rounds 2 and 3. (lead cards already posted)

Everything is dual cam.

Just saw the final round - seems like a crucial non-conservative drive from Will on 17. Was McBeth still on 18 or was he finished?

He was done. Not sure if Will was aware of the scores though? He birdied that hole with the same line the previous round.

There will be 2 parts for the Final round Chase card, and 2 parts for the final round Lead card.

We also filmed the McBeth and McBride card along with the Eagle, Brody, Sexton card first round.

in addition to that we filmed the chase card rounds 2 and 3. (lead cards already posted)

Everything is dual cam.

RIGHT ON CCDG !

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Awesome work out there this weekend!

Last edited:
OK so wishful thinking here and just posting to post really. no expectations!

How rad would it be if CCDG Edited the footage of the last round to play like a ball golf televised event. showing each group play each hole sequentially. Now I know we all know who won etc.etc. But I still think it would add some drama/excitement to the footage if it played out with the top 2 cards coverage being spliced together to see how the lead card and second cards were shaking out as it was happening. Had this idea at lunch and had to share.

He was done. Not sure if Will was aware of the scores though? He birdied that hole with the same line the previous round.

Right but it looks like if you go deep enough for a birdie you risk fading into the tree. If you go shorter for the certain 3 it's the safe play. No? I've not played there.

RIGHT ON CCDG !

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Awesome work out there this weekend!

I'm telling ya, they are still the kings! :clap:

Thanks guys!

How rad would it be if CCDG Edited the footage of the last round to play like a ball golf televised event. showing each group play each hole sequentially. Now I know we all know who won etc.etc. But I still think it would add some drama/excitement to the footage if it played out with the top 2 cards coverage being spliced together to see how the lead card and second cards were shaking out as it was happening. Had this idea at lunch and had to share.

Too funny Dave. I had the exact same thought, but didn't know what how it would go over with everyone. Might be fun to do once and see :thmbup:

Right but it looks like if you go deep enough for a birdie you risk fading into the tree. If you go shorter for the certain 3 it's the safe play. No? I've not played there.

Very true. The safest shot is actually a low forehand. Sexton knows he can't birdie this hole (it's a short list of people that actually can), so he throws a forehand that fades away from the rough, and out into the open for an easy up and down 3 every time.

Alright, i'm dropping this here. Final round chase card part 1, but with no commentary. It's unlisted, and will remain that way. The commentary version will be up tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_hQnSP2gLw

Thanks guys!
Too funny Dave. I had the exact same thought, but didn't know what how it would go over with everyone. Might be fun to do once and see :thmbup:

I like that idea. :clap:

I have not seen the video yet so I don't know the exact line Will took off the tee on 17 (I was standing off the fairway to the right, about even with where he went in the woods), but I can tell you it is a pretty technical shot from the tee. There are branches early on the left which hinder a flex release and trees 100' or so off the tee on the right that make a wide hyzer line impossible. The trees on the right are tall and there are a series of branches that overhang the fairway which force players to choose between different-height windows for their drives. Add to that the 15-20 foot elevation gain as you round the corner and it is a tough shot.

Will would have been foolish to play safe off the tee. I think he teed off first (?), having just birdied the previous hole. Ricky was one shot behind him and fully capable of birdie-ing 17 and 18. And I don't think we knew about Paul's par on 18 until after the tee shots on 17 (half the gallery had phones out watching live scoring).

Will's tee shot landed in jail on 17 - I had been at that spot on Saturday. It's a tough flick roller, having to curve uphill into the hill and I think he ticked a branch. The gallery was surprised that he missed the par putt, as he had made a very similar putt for birdie on Friday.

18 is a very difficult 2, and we were all going through the "if Will birdies he wins, if he pars and Ricky par it's a two-way playoff, if Will pars and Ricky birdies it's a THREE-way playoff" scenarios. So much fun to watch in person.

Very true. The safest shot is actually a low forehand. Sexton knows he can't birdie this hole (it's a short list of people that actually can), so he throws a forehand that fades away from the rough, and out into the open for an easy up and down 3 every time.
Thanks for the info. Ian!! I was scratching my head at lunch why Stevie and Nate threw flicks off the tee on a hyzer hole. The gap looks tight and the shule up top is tall so I can see how it would be a difficult 2.

I have not seen the video yet so I don't know the exact line Will took off the tee on 17 (I was standing off the fairway to the right, about even with where he went in the woods),
Will threw that big stall hyzer he was throwing a bunch all week. It is the shot he throws way up in the air over the tree tops that gets to a point slows down and then finishes left. He was throwing an aggressive line and was def, IMO trying to birdie the hole as like you said Ricky was nipping at his heals and he wanted to put the tournament away right then and there. He hit the gap he needed to and released the disc down the middle of the fairway. He clipped a limb at the top of the opening which took a lot of spin off the drive and it finished left and short in the thick rough you mentioned.

I don't know if he knew where McBeth was or not but he thought about that putt long and hard! I'll give him one thing he didn't miss low!

Last edited:
The 2015 Beaver State Fling was another amazing Portland disc golf experience. I have had the good fortune of playing on the Am side a few times and was able to watch my son play on the pro side again this year, catching him 5 weeks into his summer tour. My hat is off to Jeff Haggerty, Jeff Mittl, their awesome staff of volunteers and the major sponsors (Next Adventure, Innova, Paragon, Keen, and others I know I'm missing). The preparation and hospitality of the staff is tremendous. These folks know how to put on a disc golf tournament!

The course prep was phenomenal. There were some subtle but significant changes from my last time playing, most notably a line of logs protecting 16E's green from roller approaches and the long, long (did I mention long?) grass rough lining all of the fairways on the non-woods holes. That rough definitely costs a 1/2 stroke when you hit it, between the lost distance of your shot, stress and energy of the search for your disc and hindrance to your subsequent run-up. More tournament courses should incorporate this feature.

Par was set just right for these holes/courses. Just because our tremendously-gifted MPO players are able to get birdies on some holes does not mean par should be lowered. Sexton's 2 on 8W during Saturday's round is nothing short of phenomenal. His roller line was very tricky and the grass that his disc rolled through was still rather thick. And the videos that I have seen fail to properly show the road his disc had to roll over and the knobbed island the disc had to stay on. Doss' eagles on 2W and 6W are also remarkable. I chatted with him on Sunday and he grinned ear-to-ear when I mentioned the 2W eagle. Total throw-in from the fairway. I asked him if 6W was the same and he said that it wasn't - he had crushed a Hyzer drive around the corner (450-ish?) which would have left a 400' thread-the-needle approach to get close enough for a 40' or so put (if my memory serves). No less amazing are the back-to-back 2's McBeth recorded on the Genius hole (8E) and 9E on Sunday, which he had tin-cupped a few years ago (recording a 10 I think?).

Paul's win just goes to show that he can't be counted out any weekend. His poise is second to none and his will to win is unmatched. However, all of the players here are the supporting cast to the real star of the weekend - Milo McIver State Park's Riverbend Disc Golf Course. Nate Doss summed it up best from the podium on Sunday afternoon, stating that if knew he would die tomorrow, he would want to play his last day of disc golf at Milo. Pretty strong words from a 3-time World Champ who grew up on the course at DeLa.

. . most notably a line of logs protecting 16E's green from roller approaches . .

If this was discussed please point me to where - -but what's the problem with a roller approach? Why stop someone from approaching by rolling or was this an aesthetic erosion thing?

If this was discussed please point me to where - -but what's the problem with a roller approach? Why stop someone from approaching by rolling or was this an aesthetic erosion thing?

We have always wanted to improve how that particular green looked. At the same time, we felt stopping the roller right around the 25' mark on that hole would also step up the difficulty slightly. When a huge tree fell about 25' from that pin position we decided it was time to make the change, so we cut that tree up, wrapped it around the green and back-filled it. We think it not only looks great, but will help mitigate erosion issues as well.

PS: I have always used a roller for my upshot to that green, so I had to make some changes myself, but I definitely think it was worth the effort.

This has been covered pretty thoroughly, but I wanted to chime in on Wills 17. He clipped a REALLY early branch, one he probably didn't think was in play on that shot. If he would have hit something farther down the fairway it probably would have been a routine up and down for 3. It's easy to second guess him cuz he lost, but just because he had a bad outcome doesn't mean his decision making process was bad. That was the line he had taken all week and it had worked well for him up until that point. Throwing a different shot, one he probably hadn't practiced or planned to throw, is a huge risk in an of itself. When you play your game and someone beats you, oh well, they played better and you tip your cap. Changing your game plan at the last moment and losing would hurt much worse IMHO

Latest posts