• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 PDGA Amateur World Championships

There were longs and shorts at both Meyers courses and Oshetmo and VRL did you take that into account? Different divisions played different layouts or 1 round short then the next long. The shorts at all the courses were much shorter.

Clarification: OSH wins for "Most Useful for Advanced", which is the only division that went into this analysis.

I had lots of fun at worlds, I got an ace and a free ranger bag so I guess that makes up for my poor rounds.

I just felt like my division shouldn't be playing the same course 3 times, it doesn't feel like a world championship when your jump putting off the tee multiple times in the same round.

Ugh. Played my rating exactly for the tournament. Had a blast doing it though. The back nine on Timber Ridge made this lefty it's bitch. Need to learn how to force my body to throw flat and hyzer forehands to get past being a Intermediate player.

Took a lost disc 8 ( Never had an 8 in a tourney before!) on 2nd hold of final 9. Final 9 was kind of crazy with the up/down walking for the long layout. Did finally learn how to throw forehand downhill!

Took a lost disc 8 ( Never had an 8 in a tourney before!) on 2nd hold of final 9. Final 9 was kind of crazy with the up/down walking for the long layout. Did finally learn how to throw forehand downhill!
I got my first snowman a few weeks ago without any penalties. It's a long wooded snaking Par 6 hole and played to the wrong basket by accident. :doh:

Every round I felt like I had a horrible round; putting was off, drives were not coming out flat, I was missing my lines, hitting the phantom and invisible trees, and in general just having bad luck. And yet each time my score was competitive and I hovered near the cut line all week. I am not sure how to feel about that because I felt like I could have played SO much better, taking off at least three to five throws off each round, and yet I was throwing higher than my rating. That says something about the courses because at no time was I blaming the course or accusing them of being poorly designed or unfair.

And then I went to Timber Ridge. Everything felt apart during that round. I hit every invisible tree, especially on approaches where I needed to bend a line in order to land what should have been an easy par. I was stuck behind numerous trees that prevented direct looks or easy putts at the basket. Every time I needed a big drive, I somehow found the forest that lined what should have been wide open fairways. Do I go into the rollaways because of the elevation? It took me until Hole 16 to figure things out. This is the downhill one where there is OB on the right because of the 14's fairway and the basket is sitting on a small ridge. The spotter had been talking about horror stories all day and I unleashed a Trespass shot that rode the hill perfect and put me at most 100 feet out from the basket. Unfortunately my upshot was the epitome of my day. I WANTED to be under the basket for a tap in three. Everyone else was desperately trying to save 4s and I really needed this small victory. My upshot had a little too much, missed the basket just to the right by maybe a foot, and sailed off the ridge. I sallied the uphill putt and settled for a tap in 4. I ended carding easy 4s and 17 and 18, but that was par. That is all I wanted to do all day was to play course par. I just could not do it until it was too late.

All in all it was a great experience, or at least the golfing. If I ever do anything like this again, however, I am driving. Public transportation from Minnesota to Michigan was a nightmare.

What I am going to take away from this tournament was seeing all the different styles of throwing. When I played Am Worlds last year on my home courses, I did not see a huge variety of throws, but something about Michigan courses and people from different parts from the country really brought out some unique throws. Time to go hit the practice field.

Final Note, I never blew up on any specific hole. First four rounds I took only one 5. Spinskis and Timber Ridge I had five 5s and one 6. At least at Spinkis I was able to offset it with numerous 2s.

Well I assume, we practiced a round with a lady that played both layouts saying she had to play long and shorts in the event. I could be wrong.

Clarification: OSH wins for "Most Useful for Advanced", which is the only division that went into this analysis.

got it... Math is fun, however, I could have told you that with out any analysis. It had the least amount of tweener holes. :)

got it... Math is fun, however, I could have told you that with out any analysis. It had the least amount of tweener holes. :)

I don't have any doubt you could have picked out the best course. Disc golf design can be considered an art. What makes it also a science is when anyone who examines the data using generally accepted measures will come to the same quantifiable conclusion.

Now that the tournament is over, are we allowed to whine about Spinski Champion yet? Several holes encouraged overhand/spike shots with teepads or pins for other holes way to close endangering players (3, 6, 10, 15) and a couple of really poorly designed holes (1 and 9 in particular) and then one hole way too easy compared to rest of course (11).

The only other complaint I have is the new holes (5 and 6) at Meyer Broadway South. 5 was completely torn up by heavy equipment prior to the tournament and had basket placed in low lying area (bound to be wet) and 6 had the biggest mudhole mid-fairway accompanied by another basket placed in a low lying area (again bound to be wet).

Vicksburg, the Meyer Broadway complex (excluding 5 and 6) and Oshtemo were great! All courses that if were local to me would make my regular rotation of courses for play. Timber Ridge is what it is, a ski hill course. I can see why it failed as a pay-to-play course; way too much uphill walking to get lots of repeat players. If redesigned to allow players to take chairlift to top, I can see it having a chance of success. TR definitely is motivation for me to improve my LHFH for those downhill holes designed for clockwise spinning discs.