• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2016 Discraft Ace Race disc

Seems like a good disc for flips and US duties. I personally wouldn't carry it as my form sucks and I throw BH and FH. I would relate it to a US Comet in premium where the Comet is more neutral in premium. I will be strongly suggesting my sons to throw it as it should give their lower power more distance and control than the fairways they want to throw.

So, today I participated in the Ace Race in my area. I got a Pink 173-174g that's good and firm and an Orange 167-169g that is absolutely the most flexible disc ive ever held. I mean, i can almost fold it in half with one hand. Way more flexible than it just being a result of weight. Did they run some of the AR16s in ESP FLX?

Flight wize, as afore mentioned, its imo comparable to a less US Stratus. Someone brought up whether the top or bottom is from the stratus mold and im going with the top. These have a bigger bead than my stratus, and the wing looks less concaved. On that note, it wasnt really as US as i had anticipated. For me, at low speeds i was getting enough fade for a clean anny-flex line, but US enough that when you really put some snap on it, it'll flip up and glide for days. Oh that too, Im really diggin the glide. Way more glide than fade on the pink one. I put up a couple pics below, the yellow disc is a 155g pro-d Stratus.

I decided to bag the 174g stiff pink one. The orange one im not sure how i feel about the flex. Did anyone else experience the same thing with the variation of stiffness in the ESP blend?

Arrived early to the event I participated in and grabbed the lightest one available, 164-166, for my son. It was soft, flexible and orange too. Let him pick his other. He went black with silver holo foil with electric lines in it. Super cool looking, hard to find with some of his errant throws.

Been bagging this thing for about a month now, and really digging it. Have to amend my original statement that it "fights back with some fade at the end of flight." That was based on the short distances at our event. Thrown flat with some snap on holes in the 225-250' range, the end of flight fade seems to be much less pronounced than I originally observed.

The more I throw it, the more I realize they hit the mark of "a more controllable Stratus." Thrown flat, it's great for gently turning tunnel shots, particular those with low ceilings because all that glide helps you get down there on low trajectories. With some snap, it'll turn harder, but won't turn & burn as easily as a Stratus. Very hyzer-flippable for shots you don't want as much turn on, and will hold a hyzer line when thrown with a bit of nose up. Been getting some nice S-shots when I put some under it.

Hard to say if I'll perma-bag it, but I'm having a ton of fun with it and it won't be leaving my bag anytime soon.

Last edited:
I was really impressed with the disc this year. Held easy hyzers at our Ace Race distances, and it even flew nice tailwind lines at our distance contest. I've also kept it in the bag because it was so fun to throw.

Anyone hear anything about a name yet?

I am fairly new and this disc turns over nicely. With just a hint of hyzer I can glide this thing far enough and straight enough beat out any of my other discs on most holes. On a couple of throws when it decided to roll it got some impressive distance so for those who need a bit moer stability even for their US shots this may still be a good roller.
Sadly I only had 1 metal hit during our race this weekend, but used this disc to set a personal record on my home course (59) and threw a 67 for league which combined with my rather high handicap was enough for me to win our Sunday league event. My bright pink (176-177) AR has definitely earned its spot in my bag.

Just played the Ace Race Saturday (1 ace, 2 metal hits, winner was 2 & 3). Anyway, I was looking forward to trying this disc out, because someone early on described it as a 'longer Comet', & I'm a Comet Convert. Threw it the last couple of days, including playing my home course with a full selection versus a single disc round with the Ace Race disc. Shot only two strokes better with the full bag.
Since I've never thrown a Stratus, I'd say this disc performs for me as a slightly beveled edge (fairway driver), slightly longer, blend between a Comet and a Fuse. It will expose form flaws. It will turn to the right with any serious snap on your release, and it's got a lot of glide. For me and my middling power, it runs straight and true, then has surprisingly little fade, unless you get the nose up. And, it will turn and burn in a headwind, so leave it in the bag for those shots!

I rate this guy 6/5/-3/1. Very high speed understable. Basically it's just like a stratus. It would be fine for newer or younger players.

I hit like 5 shots right in the chains, 3 of them on the perfect straight, finishing on a hyzer heart of the chains....ALL spit out because it split the chains and hit the dead center of the pole. :(

We played a course across from the Ace Race after we were done so we could try it out on some full shots. If you release it on a 7'o-clock Hyzer release angle it can bomb....but basically will ALWAYS turn over if you're giving it a power throw.

OK disc i guess....I'd only use it if it was winter and I had no footing and needed a straighter shot (with no run-up and being restricted)

A new DC disc popped on the approval list today. The Archer. I'm guessing that is this disc? Cant find any other info about it, but the specs look about right.

Awesome. I can dig "Archer" for the name. I still dont understand the whole k9 image in the promo. I mean, whered the whole dog theme come in? Really, im gonna carry it no matter what the name. :thmbup:

:thmbup: im honestly really really excited. Cant wait to see what blends it comes out in! I saw Z... fingers crossed for X in the future. :D

Loved it in Ace Race form. Great new mold for Discraft. Hopefully it flies similarly across the plastics.

Loved it in Ace Race form. Great new mold for Discraft. Hopefully it flies similarly across the plastics.

I got a 173g firm ESP that glides like "wtf was that sh!t" and i absolutely love it. Im not sure if im expecting that kind of glide out of a z mold. Id rather stick with a prototype esp if thats what happens.

But seriously, whats the story on the whole dog stamp? I really was expecting to throw an ESP Doberman next spring. Im struggling for a connection here.

Latest posts