• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Next Generation Disc Golf Top Prize: Car

I didn't compare this to the ADGT--I don't think it's in the same league, folly-wise. I initially praised the ADGT for their efforts, while ridiculing their methods---especially the anti-PDGA scheme.

I don't think NextGen is trying to rival the PDGA, just sidestep them (as many non-sanctioned events do). I think it's a mistake, but it's their money and effort.

This sounds like what people were saying about the American Disc Golf Tour.

In all seriousness, I'm very much a PDGA supporter and strongly believe in the mission of the organization. There are very things I don't personally agree with that the PDGA does.

This puts me in a minority, especially as a very vocal person compared to other vocal people. While I hate to see things like the American Disc Golf Tour and possibly this tour fail, but it does showcase how well the PDGA actually does things.

The only organization that has even come remotely close to challenging the PDGA is Southern Nationals. But if you listen to the vocal majority, it's just as easy as doing this or doing that.

Not that much in the minority. Perhaps here, but this is not always an honest representation of tournament playing amateurs or pros.

Not that much in the minority. Perhaps here, but this is not always an honest representation of tournament playing amateurs or pros.

I understand I'm not in the minority, just saying in terms of outspoken people I am.

Especially on facebook.

This sounds like what people were saying about the American Disc Golf Tour.

In all seriousness, I'm very much a PDGA supporter and strongly believe in the mission of the organization. There are very things I don't personally agree with that the PDGA does.

This puts me in a minority, especially as a very vocal person compared to other vocal people. While I hate to see things like the American Disc Golf Tour and possibly this tour fail, but it does showcase how well the PDGA actually does things.

The only organization that has even come remotely close to challenging the PDGA is Southern Nationals. But if you listen to the vocal majority, it's just as easy as doing this or doing that.

I agree with Robert. Apparently it is very cold in Hell today.

I didn't compare this to the ADGT--I don't think it's in the same league, folly-wise. I initially praised the ADGT for their efforts, while ridiculing their methods---especially the anti-PDGA scheme.

I don't think NextGen is trying to rival the PDGA, just sidestep them (as many non-sanctioned events do). I think it's a mistake, but it's their money and effort.

The finale of this tour is a B-Tier PDGA Sanctioned event... so not really sidestepping all the way. If all the tournaments filled and they saved $2 per person, the car was paid for with that savings. The guys really have not beef with the PDGA.

The finale of this tour is a B-Tier PDGA Sanctioned event... so not really sidestepping all the way. If all the tournaments filled and they saved $2 per person, the car was paid for with that savings. The guys really have not beef with the PDGA.

I understand. And it seems I saw somewhere that they may sanction next year. At any rate, I've run sanctioned and non-sanctioned events, for various reasons, and I don't read anything more into being non-sanctioned than they decided not to sanction. Nothing anti-PDGA.

But the "$2 pays for a car" is penny wise and pound foolish. If you don't fill, how many more people might you have drawn to cover that? Or, why not tack $2 onto the entry fee? The economics are generally better if more players show up, than having fewer players but saving $2 on each of the few.

Interestingly one TD in region 2 just announced last night that their upcoming qualifier will now be sanctioned. This is one of the ones that had to be rescheduled and currently has 3 people signed up. It will not be enough to salvage attendance in this region of course but I found it interesting.

It could have been so easy to fill these events. Sanction them and offer divisions like every other tournament, have just advanced compete for spots to move on to regionals, and even at $50 these events would have had good numbers. I've attended 5 pdga events this season so far and would have happily swapped one for a nextgen qualifier it were a sanctioned B tier.

Any organizers still reading this thread? Any thoughts?

Apparently PGDA sanctioning does actually trump a car at the end of a rainbow- at least around here.

Everyone seems to be chasing PDGA points this year given the AM worlds are right down the road. Also the Spring schedule has reach an over saturation point with club, manufacture and PDGA events.

Tourney in Charlotte for this Saturday is cancelled with only 2 registered.

On a side note, looks like the CDGC has it's hand in ALL THINGS disc golf no matter what it is. I wonder if I wanted to host a Trilogy Challenge or Birdie Bash if I would have to add a fee for CDGC?

About this tournament
NOTE: Additional ONSITE Charlotte Club fee of $5 per player collected at CHECK-IN;

I was under the impression that the type of people who would play in a NG event would differ somewhat from established PDGA players who are familiarized with standard tourney structure. You know, divisions, payouts, not competing against other players on other courses with suspect criteria determining who won, stuff like that.

Do you think the lack of players will impact the ability to payout a car as a grand prize?

Doesn't look like it... they will still give the car away. They already have it. Feldberg was on Smashboxx Tuesday night talking about the NGT of course.

Biggest change coming is many of the remaining tournaments will be PDGA sanctioned. With some many PDGA events every week, it has hurt the tour as folks want points for AmWorlds and such. Attendance is expected to increase for the rest of the year.

I wonder if our friends at the NGT are trying to pull a fast one...

So to help gain interest, most of the remaining stops are PDGA Sanctioned X-Tier events. The goal was to let folks get points towards AmWorlds, but X-Tier events points aren't in any table I can find. I know they don't count towards the division points title (obelisk)... but l cannot find anything that says you get points for anything X-Tier in this table.

PDGA Points Factor

Ah... XC = C-tier points, XB = B-Tier, etc.

I have confirmed with the PDGA that doubles points do NOT count in the annual divisional points race. I'd be curious about the singles from X? events.

I think sanctioning is a good move, not just for points. It puts events on the PDGA calendar, and assures players of certain standards. It also shows that the NGT folks are willing to learn and adjust as they go.

The events still wont sell much with it being one division (IMO). The dance idea is ridiculous, just offer divisions like every other tournament, sanction them, and let advanced play for the qualifications. Sanctioned or not, I don't believe there is value for a rec player or masters player to pay $63 (!) dollars for one of these events.

For me personally, I would have played several of these if they has been sanctioned from the start. My calendar is set at this point.

Latest posts