• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 USDGC

^^^ These. Awesome for Nate!. :clap:

Side note: Wonder what his sig disc will be?

Those are only for Worlds wins I believe, as Koling doesn't have one and McBeth's and Climo's only count the number of (MPO) Worlds they've won.

I could also see dgu store or supreme flight doing something for the occasion.

This seems the far more likely scenario to me, specifically Supreme Flight with the number of stamps they've done for players (McBeth, Nate, and Barela spring to mind off the top of my head).

My 11-year old son and I went to Rock Hill for a disc golf weekend. We played a ton of courses and watched the final round at USDGC. I wish I'd done it sooner. Awesome trip.

I just want to say that the players, in addition to being unbelievable disc golfers, were amazingly gracious and friendly during and after the round to my son and other fans. Examples:

1. We were on hole 6 (the beach hole), watching several cards come through (in a steady rain). Barry Schultz saw the group of spectators and came over to thank us all for watching and supporting them. He then handed my son a signed disc. Class! (This was in the middle of a bogey-free -10 round. Un-freaking-real.)

2. After the round, my son got pictures with Sexton, Wysocki, and McBeth. They weren't bothered at all by him asking for photos. All smiles. Ricky had to kneel down he was so much taller than my boy. I'm going to have a hard time deciding whom to pull for in future tournaments! They were all first class!

3. My son also went on a mission to get autographs on the disc Barry gave him. Everyone was friendly and awesome: Paige, Big Jerm, Anthon, Philo, Simon, Eagle, and Withers, in addition to Barry, Ricky, Paul, and Nate. Major kudos to all of you. You made my son's day and he's surely a fan for life!

I love stories like this. I'll add one to the lore as well.

Last minute (10pm Friday night) my crew, there to create the miniseries discussed earlier in this thread, agreed to cover the Chase card for the final round since we were actually ahead of our shooting schedule.

Oh yeah...so you heard it here first. I'm flying back to SF today and I'll start cutting that tomorrow. Bonus chase card coverage of the final round (Barsby, Nichols, Z. Johnson, McBeth).

It was raining enough to create issues, and one of the shoulder mounts broke so I had to hand hold the camera and the umbrella. Right before the chase card was set to tee I walked down the row of spectators at Hole 1 and asked for a volunteer. Almost immediately I got a volunteer - a young man named Caleb was ushered towards me by his dad and brother. They had driven over 2 hours to come watch the final round. He told me his favorite player is Paul McBeth, he hoped he could shoot well enough to win so he wanted to watch his card, and that his favorite disc is the Roc3.

Long story short, he held the umbrella to keep my camera and I dry for the whole round, got to walk inside the ropes and watch the players up close, and never complained once for the whole 4 hour round. What a kid.

After the round I gave him the umbrella (the nice USDGC ones from the players pack), took him into the pro shop and bought him a couple of discs and a USDGC hat - and took him to meet Paul. He waited patiently, but with eyes bulging as Paul signed autograph after autograph. At the end (classic McBeth) Paul chatted with Caleb, showed him his bag, and pulled out a Thunderbird and told Caleb to take good care of it.

Add that to the stories from this event I'll never forget. :thmbup::thmbup:

Nice catch! I watched his in the bag, no beast.

I was hoping you were right. Would love to see some more Beast love, it's a great disc. Barry is the only pro I can think of that throws them. Sexton's bag is interesting though. I like seeing pros picking discs outside of the mainstream ones that fit their needs.

Last minute (10pm Friday night) my crew, there to create the miniseries discussed earlier in this thread, agreed to cover the Chase card for the final round since we were actually ahead of our shooting schedule.

Oh yeah...so you heard it here first. I'm flying back to SF today and I'll start cutting that tomorrow. Bonus chase card coverage of the final round (Barsby, Nichols, Z. Johnson, McBeth).

It was raining enough to create issues, and one of the shoulder mounts broke so I had to hand hold the camera and the umbrella. Right before the chase card was set to tee I walked down the row of spectators at Hole 1 and asked for a volunteer. Almost immediately I got a volunteer - a young man named Caleb was ushered towards me by his dad and brother. They had driven over 2 hours to come watch the final round. He told me his favorite player is Paul McBeth, he hoped he could shoot well enough to win so he wanted to watch his card, and that his favorite disc is the Roc3.

Long story short, he held the umbrella to keep my camera and I dry for the whole round, got to walk inside the ropes and watch the players up close, and never complained once for the whole 4 hour round. What a kid.

After the round I gave him the umbrella (the nice USDGC ones from the players pack), took him into the pro shop and bought him a couple of discs and a USDGC hat - and took him to meet Paul. He waited patiently, but with eyes bulging as Paul signed autograph after autograph. At the end (classic McBeth) Paul chatted with Caleb, showed him his bag, and pulled out a Thunderbird and told Caleb to take good care of it.

Holy crap. That's the best DG story I have heard in a long long time. Thanks for sharing that!!!

That's some world champ level class!! Awesome story...thanks for sharing.

Brother Dave I saw you barefoot carrying your shoes walking the path across from 12's basket. My buddy and I were like, whaaaa!!?? Wish I'd known it was you I would've said hi. Cool to know the story behind it now. Awesome tourney. Had a blast.
I'd wear a "I'm BrotherDave" sandwich board but I don't want Russell Schwarz to find me and get his feelings hurt. :| :rolleyes:
My observation is you were there and didn't even come to say whatsup. Don't give me any excuses cause I was pretty easy to find! :p
You looked busy, holding that scoreboard, yelling at people and whatnot. Plus I wasn't 100% sure that was you, you looked more like Hodor from GoT than I remember. I swear you're 3 inches taller every time I see you. :|

-----------forgotten observation--------------
• Nate's calves are much more impressive in person. He might have bigger calves than me, and I've got big, red, fire ant bitten calves.

Nate played some of the best (if not THE BEST) pro level, consistent, smart, well executed disc golf I have ever seen. And then holding up his baby after the win. C'mon... what a moment for Nate and for disc golf in general! :clap:

On par with Steve Brinster's wife and the twinsters meeting him after his USDGC victory. A special moment I was really hoping to see recreated! :hfive:

I'd wear a "I'm BrotherDave" sandwich board but I don't want Russell Schwarz to find me and get his feelings hurt.

I don't think Russell goes to the USDGC anymore, and if he does he likely doesn't leave the clubhouse so you might be OK. Just make sure someone is watching your back when you go get a burger.;)

-----------forgotten observation--------------
• Nate's calves are much more impressive in person. He might have bigger calves than me, and I've got big, red, fire ant bitten calves.

I noticed that even on film. On his FH drives he really generates his power from 'down low' more so than from the hips or quads to get his momentum going. Big difference from Ricky or Jerm FH's even though they have similar distance potential.

That is some serious optical illusion. You have to slow it down frame by frame see it flash in front of the mando sign, at full speed it looks missed every time I watched it, weird. Gotta be the white disc and the shadows that do it.

Odd, I cannot look at it in a way that shows he didnt make the Mando. It does appear to blink out, but not in a way that looks like a miss.

Even trying to force myself to see an optical illusion. He throws way left of a tree that is like 30" diameter, the disc would have had to be at least 5 ft right of its actual line. Maybe I have a weak mind but I'm not able to bend that flight path to make it seem like it missed right.

This must be like gold dress/blue dress, or face vase.

Also looks like he took par plus 4 for at least 3 holes. No way you 7 15 if you are trying not to; with the hazard rules.

If he took par+4 on those last three holes (13-15), it was mis-recorded because 13 is a par 5 (so it should be a 9) and 15 is a par 4 (so it should be an 8). Not out of the realm of possibility and certainly not important in a DNF round, but not a given.

We know which players won, now how did the holes perform? With four rounds of data, we can compute how many different scores each hole gave to each player, and compare that to how many different scores the hole gave to the field. What we want is a hole that gives a lot of different scores to the field, while giving any particular player the same score from round to round.

Now, because each player's "correct score" usually falls in-between integers, the best a hole can do is give out an average of 1.62 different scores to each player. At the other extreme, if a hole were to give out scores by rolling a four-sided die it would give out about 2.54 different scores to each player – so 2.54 basically indicates total randomness.

In general, the wider the scoring spread across the field, the more difficult it is for a hole to give consistent scores to each player from round to round. So, the holes that are up and to the right of the other holes did better. For example, hole #1 did better than #4 because #1 was more consistent to each player while giving out just as many different scores across the field.

Hole #18 seems to have given out scores to each player in a more-than-random way. But, that's because it's really two holes (with different pars) so we really can't read anything into this result. Holes #5, #13, and #17 also used two different pin positions, so ignore them, too.

attachment.php

We can say holes #1, #9, #10, and #12 gave the best performances. Holes #4, #8, #3, #14, and #15 underperformed – in this group of elite holes.

Attachments

• ssVSss.png
    ssVSss.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 241
Because not all tournaments have four rounds (not even all these holes were used unchanged for all four rounds), I looked at another measure of precision. Departure from Expected is just the average absolute difference between the expected score for a player and the actual scores given to that player. This is shown here, plotted against average score.

Expected score based on linear fit of player scores vs. their ratings.

On a perfect hole with a diverse set of players, the scores would be one-half away from the expected scores, on average. If a hole has a lot of the same score (like the 4s on #04 and #08) the average departure can be somewhat smaller than 0.5.

The hole with the largest departures is #17A. Its average score is around 3.6, but instead of just giving out about mostly 4s with some 3s, it gives out 2s, 5s, and 7s instead of 4s. Obviously, 4 is closer to the expected scores of the players than 2 or 5 or 7.

Because it's harder for a hole with a larger average score to be more precise, down and left is worse than down and right, with #12 being the least precise for its average score - after #17A and #17B.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dEPVSas.png
    dEPVSas.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 235
Nate played some of the best (if not THE BEST) pro level, consistent, smart, well executed disc golf I have ever seen. And then holding up his baby after the win. C'mon... what a moment for Nate and for disc golf in general! :clap:

Nate Sexton is called "conservative" for his solid play, but he's not all that riskless. He's like World Chess Champion Anatoly Karpov... solid, but if you blink you see a brilliantly executed chess game just got played. Nate was the same way in Disc Golf as he carved up Winthrop Gold.

So what will they do now to "Sexton-proof" Winthrop Gold ?!?! ;) :popcorn: