• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Sula Open

Theres pretty punishing OB on a few holes. I heard it was really windy too. But I dont know why Simon kept going for it. If I was the TD I might even think about a 888 report.

You can check out hole 4 here at 13 minutes in, with Simon and Gregg commentating. Lets just say I am not a fan of the design, but it should not produce well into double digits unless you really let things unravel.

Good googly moogly

Simon had TWO holes in the double digits???? And one at 7????

One dude near the bottom had a FREAKING 21 on ONE HOLE?! You'd be better off just skipping the hole altogether and taking the par+4 penalty. Of course I do realize that rule 811 doesn't really allow for intentionally skipping a hole but I think you get my point...

Don't even have to watch the video to know something is seriously wrong with the layout - or the par. Yikes.

Last edited:
You can check out hole 4 here at 13 minutes in, with Simon and Gregg commentating. Lets just say I am not a fan of the design, but it should not produce well into double digits unless you really let things unravel.

Agreed. #4 is extremely stupid. But at the same time, unless you're throwing in some seriously stiff wind there is no reason to double digit that hole - especially touring pros. I mean it's easy to say that sitting here looking at it via YouTube but c'om folks get a grip. Even my noodle arm could manage 2 tame flick shots using the fence as a backstop on the right and then be in position for a simple upshot. Guess I just don't understand the double digit scores there. Was the weather really that bad???

Guess I just don't understand the double digit scores there. Was the weather really that bad???

According to Simon it was about 50 F, rainy and windy (Gregg's first tee shot on that hole was a failed roller because of the wind). He also said he tried to make the green straight off the tee so that explains at least something :)

I don't understand the motivation a touring pro would have to try and tank his ratings by playing a bad round. They're not in a ratings protecting division, so he's not trying to sandbag.

I've watched the Sula Open the past two years, and while I typically dislike tricked up courses with artificial OB, this one seems cool. I would love to play this course and am trying to talk the wife into a trip to Norway.

In a repeat of Jerm misunderstanding PDGA Rules, in the commentary for the final round Barsby states that his shuffle forward isn't a falling putt because the putt is in the basket.... however the actual rule is "touches his or her marker disc, or any object beyond the lie, including the playing surface, before having demonstrated full control of balance. "

It's not obvious that he steps beyond his lie but it is baffling how many players misunderstand rules

In a repeat of Jerm misunderstanding PDGA Rules, in the commentary for the final round Barsby states that his shuffle forward isn't a falling putt because the putt is in the basket.... however the actual rule is "touches his or her marker disc, or any object beyond the lie, including the playing surface, before having demonstrated full control of balance. "

It's not obvious that he steps beyond his lie but it is baffling how many players misunderstand rules

Right, so it was actually a foot fault?

I can't tell if his little stutter step goes past his lie or not. It's always possible he catches himself and that foot is still not closer to the basket than his other foot, can't really tell from the footage. I just thought it was worth mentioning his explanation of the rule was wrong.

Norway, cool rainy and mysterious. A place americans know little about. Attempting to take full advantage of this the young german took took the americans about for a good ole romp at the local norweigan bar...

What would unfold was like a rock star's dream. Women, beer, booze, etc... Apparently the americans philo included drank the Europeans into a complete stupper. And wow,,, by the time they came out of it....

Barsby was holding up the trophy, calmly and with much respect saying, "comrades this round is on me."

Last edited:
I just watched the final round coverage. The mountains around the area were really nice, they reminded me of the Catskills in New York around Wurtzburg and Ellenville. The course was... well, let's just say that if only one hole was played under par, and it was 2.8 on a par 3, then that is a "professional grade" course.

Congrats to Barsby on a good win, as well. :thmbup:

I just watched the final round coverage. The mountains around the area were really nice, they reminded me of the Catskills in New York around Wurtzburg and Ellenville. The course was... well, let's just say that if only one hole was played under par, and it was 2.8 on a par 3, then that is a "professional grade" course.

Congrats to Barsby on a good win, as well. :thmbup:

What they didn't say in the commentary was that the field was mostly filled with players rated in the high 800s and low 900s

Hole #4 was an island hole with barriers on the near side to prevent rollers making the green, and no barriers on the far side to increase difficulty (I'm guessing here). it was also said that the course was not designed with wind in mind.........but it is right next to the ocean so that is just poor planning. also on hole#4, if you don't make it inbounds you must retee. So no drop zone, which means they needed to get approval from a PDGA Tour manager to make it legal.

What they didn't say in the commentary was that the field was mostly filled with players rated in the high 800s and low 900s

True, but the scores in relation to par for the winner and the top card were a lot higher than we're used to seeing on many U.S. DGPT courses by top card players. It was a tough course.

Having said that, Hole #4 reached the point where "tough" becomes "not a fair test". Reminds me of the USGA going way overboard on the U.S. Open courses.

Latest posts