• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Am Worlds - YORK, PA

How did everything go over the weekend?

I had a great time. Weather finally broke, from the 90+, humid torture and was terrific for the entire event.

The courses were stellar. Not a Quaker fan though. The course was simply to punitive. Nicking a tree 300' down a barely existent fairway should not cost a stroke or two. As the course breaks in, the rough wears down and a few trees are lost to EAB and wise course design, it will be a good play. A really hard course does not always equal a really good course, in my book.

The events, town, and running of the tournament were simply outstanding. Ate at some fantastic places.

Players pack was pretty weak, IMO. Three discs, a couple hats, a choice of a too small shirt....no larger sizes available, a green tournament shirt, a mid quality double walled metal water bottle and a few trinkets and coupons. Where the hell was Keen?

Water and snacks (thanks Herrs) were omnipresent on the courses. No plastic water bottles, just large jugs of cold water to fill up your own reusable bottle from. Never found an empty one, nor one that was not cold water.

Best was the new friends and competition. KUDO to the TD staff and army of volunteers that made this a top notch Worlds.

Players pack was pretty weak, IMO. Three discs, a couple hats, a choice of a too small shirt....no larger sizes available, a green tournament shirt, a mid quality double walled metal water bottle and a few trinkets and coupons. Where the hell was Keen?

Keen doesn't donate anything. I found that out last year.

If we had ordered a pair of shoes for each player, it would have cost around $50,000.

Keen doesn't donate anything. I found that out last year.

If we had ordered a pair of shoes for each player, it would have cost around $50,000.

Perhaps Keen does not donate anything to AM player events anymore. They seem to have their name all over DGPT event courses......I assume that is not charity. I also have received free and discounted boots/shoes at past events. Perhaps those events purchased the coupons.....I don't really know. I understand companies make financial decisions that make sense for them, but I was disappointed to lose their support on the AM side of the game. I had switched to Keen's, only because of their support. I guess I will switch back to Merrill's.

I had a great time. Weather finally broke, from the 90+, humid torture and was terrific for the entire event.

The courses were stellar. Not a Quaker fan though. The course was simply to punitive. Nicking a tree 300' down a barely existent fairway should not cost a stroke or two. As the course breaks in, the rough wears down and a few trees are lost to EAB and wise course design, it will be a good play. A really hard course does not always equal a really good course, in my book.

The events, town, and running of the tournament were simply outstanding. Ate at some fantastic places.

Water and snacks (thanks Herrs) were omnipresent on the courses. No plastic water bottles, just large jugs of cold water to fill up your own reusable bottle from. Never found an empty one, nor one that was not cold water.

Best was the new friends and competition. KUDO to the TD staff and army of volunteers that made this a top notch Worlds.

Nice summary, I agree with you for the most part. York and the surrounding cities, along with the 5 clubs put a ton of work into the courses and the event. I was highly impressed.

All of the courses I played looked amazing. I actually liked Quaker and thought it was beautiful. But agree that is was punitive but at least for me the worst was physically. My knees did not like hole 1 and after spending a round walking on the rocks my feet didn't appreciate it much either. It was definitely a challenge in more than one way.

I can not comment on the players party as paying $40 for a guest to attend was not desirable. We chose instead to use that $40 towards a nice dinner in Red Lion hmmm might have actually been in Dallastown.

My only disappointment with the players pack is no Discraft discs.

And my biggest issue overall and expressed by many that I spoke with is the PDGA handing out our personal contact information to a vendor and getting multiple text daily with sales information from said vendor. Selling / giving away PDGA member personal info that is required to register is NOT COOL.

And what made this years worlds great was all of the volunteer hours for course work, spotting, TD's at each course and the host committee. And seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Last edited:
Nice summary, I agree with you for the most part. York and the surrounding cities, along with the 5 clubs put a ton of work into the courses and the event. I was highly impressed.

All of the courses I played looked amazing. I actually liked Quaker and thought it was beautiful. But agree that is was punitive but at least for me the worst was physically. My knees did not like hole 1 and after spending a round walking on the rocks my feet didn't appreciate it much either. It was definitely a challenge in more than one way.

I can not comment on the players party as paying $40 for a guest to attend was not desirable. We chose instead to use that $40 towards a nice dinner in Red Lion hmmm might have actually been in Dallastown.

My only disappointment with the players pack is no Discraft discs.

And my biggest issue overall and expressed by many that I spoke with is the PDGA handing out our personal contact information to a vendor and getting multiple text daily with sales information from said vendor. Selling / giving away PDGA member personal info that is required to register is NOT COOL.

And what made this years worlds great was all of the volunteer hours for course work, spotting, TD's at each course and the host committee. And seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

I guess I should have also stated, I did not go to the players party. The exact same reason, my wife came along and I was not about to pay 40 bucks for her to be bored to death. I have been to a couple worlds and these stadium gigs are not my idea of fun. Also took my 40 bucks and went out to eat.

The two round days with drive times made for some very long/late days.

Disc Golf Examiner filmed rounds 6 and the semis of MA1 and Gatekeeper filmed the Final 9 for both MA1 and FA1. Look for coverage to come out later this week.

MA1 Round 6 - Front 9:

MA1 Round 6 - Back 9:

MA1 Semifinals - Front 9:

MA1 Semifinals - Back 9:

Still waiting on MA1 Final 9.

FA1 Final 9:

This is not accurate. AM points are AM points, whether you earn them in AM1 or MA55. You needed 500 points to qualify for MA50 and MA55. Every player had a home division in the age protected crowd. They were only initially allowed to sign up for their home division. So, as a 56 year old guy with over 500 points, I was not allowed to sign up for MA50 initially. Despite the fact that I did qualify. My invite was only for my home division. A bit of this is nomenclature.

ru:

That's close but not accurate completely. You were initially allowed to sign up for any division you qualified for. You are correct that AM points are AM points when it comes to your home division. HOWEVER, you can also qualify for multiple other divisions by getting points exclusively in that division. For example. I am 58; all my Am points went toward MA55. But if I have enough points exclusively in MA50, I can also qualify for and sign up for MA50. I did have enough of those points (I played MA50 at the 2018 GBO and had 492 points just from that event, plus in my area MA50 is offered often.) So several of my colleagues were out there wondering why all these guys who were initially waitlisted in MA55 weren't getting on the MA50 train just to be sure they had a spot --- then we realized that they may not have had enough points exclusively in MA50 from the previous year. Unlike me, who my invite had BOTH MA55 and MA50. Because I would have signed up for MA50 had I gotten locked out.

The obvious answer to this would be to have spots reserved for the highest point earners in each state and then have additional spots for total points earned. Because, yes, in some areas playing every local/regional event of the year will not net you as many points as playing in 1 or 2 events in other areas of the country.

Huh??? That sounds like you're offering "50 automatic bids" as a solution, leaving less than 20 at-large. Presently there is only 1 automatic bid.

Latest posts