• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships Aug 12-17

Re: Weema

I have played in minor professional golf events and they remove the people that don't belong. In the bigger events which have qualifiers, you can't even enter a qualifier unless you meet certain handicap requirements. I would say 900 should be the minimum.

The PDGA needs to quit allowing this joke to be played on them, even though i do find it amusing and all.

Finished at +67...

AB is riding the struggle bus to start the round... Enough so that Terry just said we may have to change is name from AB to OB...:eek:

Re: Weema

I have played in minor professional golf events and they remove the people that don't belong. In the bigger events which have qualifiers, you can't even enter a qualifier unless you meet certain handicap requirements. I would say 900 should be the minimum.

The PDGA needs to quit allowing this joke to be played on them, even though i do find it amusing and all.

Most professional ball golf events tend to have a lot bigger purse that isn't generated by entry fees, plus a lot more people who want to play the events, so having minimum requirements to get in is necessary to keep the field at a manageable level while not losing competitive integrity. Basically, they limit it to X handicap or below so the field doesn't fill with 30 handicappers who have the money to burn. Not out of some altruistic fear of having a poor player make the event look bad.

I'd buy the whole "professionalism" aspect of the argument if guys like Weema were taking up spots that could be filled by a 1000+ rated player. But any such players aren't trying to get in. They have ample opportunity and pass on it. So I say let them all play. No one but us here cares one iota that Lloyd Weema is playing Worlds this week.

Not to play thread police, but there's a thread in the tournament section about Worlds already. Probably better to contain all discussion of it there so those that are trying to stay spoiler-free can do so. It's one thing to go into a thread titled Pro Worlds and bitch about seeing spoilers, but I wouldn't blame someone who successfully avoids that thread feeling a bit burned by having a vague thread title fool them into clicking and getting spoiled.

Sounds like ratings manipulation to me

Or a massive injury

Yeah, I expect to see him get the 888.
Rated 972. His first 2 rounds were certainly disappointing, but the 3rd round is beyond what you could reasonably call an unlucky/"blow up" round with a straight face.

Weema, on the other hand, is averaging about his rating.

If you did not watch Emerson school the field in his last event, take a look at YouTube and watch a really outstanding performance. His putting is the best of his career and this may be his time. I don't think he is going to rattled having Paul in his rear view mirror. Small package of a guy with the heart of a lion.

I've been very impressed -- and surprised -- with how Emerson's handled the pressure so far. But I'm not sure he can hold on.

And I know that everyone wants to frame this in the context of his Mid America Open win, but looking at the numbers it's just not in the same universe. At MAO, the highest rated player was 1025, and Emerson won by averaging 1045 rated golf (24 above his own rating) for 3 rounds.

Now consider Worlds. To win he'd need to average (by my estimation) 50-60 above his own rating for five rounds. And to his credit, he's pulling it off so far! But there's still a lot of disc golf left to play.

I feel like Paul has to like the position he's in. Only one person really in contention, and McBeth certainly has oodles of experience playing (and playing well!) in these "biggest stage in disc golf" type situations.

Not trying to throw any shade on Keith! MAO was a great win to be sure. But it doesn't necessarily translate to this context. And I will gladly come back and eat crow if Emerson goes the whole way and wins the dang thing!

Edit: I was just finishing this up, and on the live scoring pops up a 3 stroke swing giving McBeth a clear solo lead. Emerson still safely in 2nd place, but he's gotta dig deep in the mental game if he wants to bounce back from that.

Last edited: