• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 PDGA Champions Cup - 4th Pro Major

I also enjoy Terry in the booth or out on the field. But you still have to blame the gaps, boring bits on poor poor preparation by whoever is producing the live coverage. They could easily fill gaps by having pre-rolled player profile segments, in the (tournament) bags, interviews with past winners, legacy players, etc. Would love to see Doss transition to field reporter (I think he would be ideal for this) and have Terry full time in the booth.

Yea, the problems with b-roll and such for me has been that it has been very repetitive in the past. I have an unjustified hate for OTB because of their commercials and how annoying and repetitive they are.

I also enjoy Terry in the booth or out on the field. But you still have to blame the gaps, boring bits on poor poor preparation by whoever is producing the live coverage. They could easily fill gaps by having pre-rolled player profile segments, in the (tournament) bags, interviews with past winners, legacy players, etc. Would love to see Doss transition to field reporter (I think he would be ideal for this) and have Terry full time in the booth.

"easily fill gaps"... Very easy to say, hard to do.
20+ live events. Figure we would need at least 2-3 preproduced segments per day. Unless you want us to repeat these as well throughout the year? That would be over 40-60 pre-produced segments for the entire season that someone has to write, film, edit, and graphic. That would be a fulltime person gig most likely, maybe more if you want them to be time sensitive and relevant to the event.

Last year we didn't even have enough time to put all of our commercials into a day because we were showing so much golf and stats.

Now, as far as this 4th major goes. I don't like the format, I don't think that it is a good format for live production. The great thing that we have done with the DGPT is having all the cameras to cut to shots. And I think someone said it earlier... I hope you enjoy watching people walk down fairways. Because with only 1 card to cover... yuck. That is a LOT of dead air to fill.

Has it been stated how the match play seeds will be determined if there are ties within the top 4? if seeds 2 and 3 are tied that doesn't matter, but say 1-3 are tied and fourth place was 10 strokes behind ... who gets the 1 seed and the advantage of playing against someone distinctly worse?

...And I think someone said it earlier... I hope you enjoy watching people walk down fairways. Because with only 1 card to cover... yuck. That is a LOT of dead air to fill.

So you're suggesting they do the match play part on the Short Tees to A Positions on the "Steady" Ed course?

"easily fill gaps"... Very easy to say, hard to do.

Very true, ideas are free. I hope the DGPT adds more player profiles, back stories, etc. There is plenty of disc golf content you could possibly license for use in the broadcasts. Maybe that's a direction to take since most pros are now content creators.

Has it been stated how the match play seeds will be determined if there are ties within the top 4? if seeds 2 and 3 are tied that doesn't matter, but say 1-3 are tied and fourth place was 10 strokes behind ... who gets the 1 seed and the advantage of playing against someone distinctly worse?

No, it has not been stated.

Very true, ideas are free. I hope the DGPT adds more player profiles, back stories, etc. There is plenty of disc golf content you could possibly license for use in the broadcasts. Maybe that's a direction to take since most pros are now content creators.

I know that the DGPT is working with a few people to help provide some pieces. I don't know the exact amount. I too want more content and "filler" pieces licensed out.

I think the tournament should be 3 rounds of stroke play. 6 make the playoffs. Top 2 get a bye into the semi's. Then matchplay from there. Tiebreakers in stroke play playoff sudden death.

So I don't mind the format, I like giving the top 2 from stroke play an advantage and a bye though. It would give the stroke play more meaning and drama for performing well in the first portion.

That's a terrible idea that sounds like it came from some crappy C Tier. You don't switch from stroke to match at that late stage. Someone could win stroke play by 15 shots and still not win the tourney by getting beat by one stro0ke in match play. i could see 2 rounds of stroke play dropping the field to 32 players where you then go to match play, Kind of like ball golf's US Am, but taking top 4 to match play sounds extremely stupid to me.

I've always liked the idea of majors with different formats. If we can zero-in on "the grand slam of disc golf" then we have a legit way to compare champions. Like the way we compare Tiger's 15 majors to Jack's 18. Or Federer & Nadal at 20 with Djoker at 17. To win in multiple kinds of major events really showcases true talent.

djokovic has 20 too lol

UH, true. But when I wrote that (see date of January 26 of this year -- lol) he had 17. He then won Australia, French, & Wimbledon in '21 to tie the others at 20.

FML my bad! definitely didn't realize this thread was that old. :doh:

Uli makes an interesting point - he mentions that the players only play stroke play, and so the Major events should be stroke play. I find that fascinating because it really tells us a lot about how limited the tournament formats are on tour. It makes me wonder - how could we more regularly integrate a match play format? And why not call an event the PDGA or DGPT Match Play Championship, and integrate that into the tour? How could it be done to be minimally invasive to the tour schedule?

For example - taking a nod from the world of soccer/football - with the ranks of the regular touring pros growing, could something be done to integrate a match-per-event format where players get in a round on the course they are warming up for during each stop on tour and advance through qualifying pools, etc. leading into the top players winding up at a Major level PDGA Match Play Final?

That's a very raw idea, with a lot of drawbacks that even I can see - but its only a few moments of spitballing. How could it be improved? Is there any way for something like that to be integrated into the tour schedule in a way that does not tangibly/negatively impact prep for the tour events?

Uli makes an interesting point - he mentions that the players only play stroke play, and so the Major events should be stroke play. I find that fascinating because it really tells us a lot about how limited the tournament formats are on tour. It makes me wonder - how could we more regularly integrate a match play format? And why not call an event the PDGA or DGPT Match Play Championship, and integrate that into the tour? How could it be done to be minimally invasive to the tour schedule?

For example - taking a nod from the world of soccer/football - with the ranks of the regular touring pros growing, could something be done to integrate a match-per-event format where players get in a round on the course they are warming up for during each stop on tour and advance through qualifying pools, etc. leading into the top players winding up at a Major level PDGA Match Play Final?

That's a very raw idea, with a lot of drawbacks that even I can see - but its only a few moments of spitballing. How could it be improved? Is there any way for something like that to be integrated into the tour schedule in a way that does not tangibly/negatively impact prep for the tour events?

I think a better question is why would we want to incorporate new formats into disc golf's Majors and the DGPT regular season? I think we should have consistency at the professional level and that's essentially what Uli is advocating for.

Stroke play is fine for standalone events, but the truly top-level events in the sport should be played using the same format. I think the DGPT Championship is an exception because A) it is still working to garner its own level of prestige, B) it provides a way to reward players for consistently good performance over the season, and C) it's not a Major.

I'd love to see a Ryder Cup-style event for disc golf. It would be very entertaining for fans and professionals alike and doesn't need to compete with the prestige of a Major.