• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Playoff Rules change ...

Since it was only two of us in the playoff, we chose the coin flip option after calling the TD (he was at the other course of the event) and getting it OK'ed. IIRC he did say we were going to be allowed to choose who went first (winner of coin[disc] toss). That being said it was immaterial, since I won and wanted to go first on hole #1. If that's not technically correct, I'm looking for correction on THIS scenario -- not ones other than this.

The way I read the rule is same as others—coin flip to see who goes first. Not who chooses the order.

Since it was only two of us in the playoff, we chose the coin flip option after calling the TD (he was at the other course of the event) and getting it OK'ed. IIRC he did say we were going to be allowed to choose who went first (winner of coin[disc] toss). That being said it was immaterial, since I won and wanted to go first on hole #1. If that's not technically correct, I'm looking for correction on THIS scenario -- not ones other than this.

My understanding of Competition Manual Rule 1.09.B.2 and your situation is:
The specific order in which players tee off for sudden-death play shall be determined by random draw (e.g., numbered playing cards, selecting tee positions from a hat, etc.).

By the exact wording (bolded part), it has to be something randomly drawn. A coin flip is not a "random draw".

However, having TD permission to do a coin flip, you did meet the criteria for determining the order. No where does it say that the result/order must be 'set in stone' before the draw. So you don't have to say "low card goes first". You could say "low card chooses if they go first"...that is still determining the order by the random draw. Once the order for the first playoff hole is determined, then the order for any following holes is rotated.

The way I read the rule is same as others—coin flip to see who goes first. Not who chooses the order.

Show me where in the rule it says the winner of the draw must go first. It says the order is set by the draw, but not HOW it is set. Letting the winner choose the order is still "setting the order".

Also, by the wording - which is very specific - a coin flip is not permitted as it is not a random DRAW.

(Capitalization for emphasis).

I wish I had thought of all this at once and put it in one post....oh, well....

I think one reason for the wording of requiring a random "draw" is that it works for multiple people in a playoff. A coin flip only works for two people...how are you going to use a coin flip to figure out the order of three or four players?

With a deck of cards, the order can be set by either high to low or low to high. Straws of different lengths can be used to set the order. And with those, you only have to draw once to set the order.

This isn't the 1800's. I would just use my phone.

I pretended me, Bill, and Tom, Dick and Harry were in a five way tie and going into a playoff.

Here is the tee order I was randomly given.

3628171a5f24a4c37b77ff9060c59ed8.jpg

My box. Good luck Bill.

Show me where in the rule it says the winner of the draw must go first. It says the order is set by the draw, but not HOW it is set. Letting the winner choose the order is still "setting the order".

Also, by the wording - which is very specific - a coin flip is not permitted as it is not a random DRAW.

(Capitalization for emphasis).

I think it is implied by the wording. By that I mean what someone said above—heads player A is first or tails, it's player B.

Or it could be short straw or whatever the random selection method is.

I also think you are working really hard to make this one complicated when it is not.

This isn't the 1800's. I would just use my phone.

I pretended me, Bill, and Tom, Dick and Harry were in a five way tie and going into a playoff.

Here is the tee order I was randomly given.

3628171a5f24a4c37b77ff9060c59ed8.jpg

My box. Good luck Bill.

Sweet! Back of the Box like usual..... Must be a playoff for DFL since I'm in it. :D

Seriously though, it would be nice if we could use modern technology. Can't use phones to capture photos/videos of possible rules violations/questions. Can't use the phone to choose playoff order (that's a random choice, but not a random "draw").

Seriously though, it would be nice if we could use modern technology. Can't use phones to capture photos/videos of possible rules violations/questions. Can't use the phone to choose playoff order (that's a random choice, but not a random "draw").

Great everyone watching/recording with their phones instead of where the disc is flying. Your phone is not going to find a disc. I see 5+ hours rounds in the future.

Seriously though, it would be nice if we could use modern technology. Can't use phones to capture photos/videos of possible rules violations/questions. ...

Be careful what you wish for. Video and photo review will come with lots and lots of extra rules like this:

https://unitedumpires.org/pdf/NCAA-Baseball-Video-Review-Regulations.pdf

The TD will need to be able to point to something when they want to convince a player they shouldn't overturn a call based on a photo which was taken yesterday in another group, but was "just like" the situation today.

(Yes, this is a real-life example.)

Not sure what sort of sanctioned event you're playing in where people on the same card have that much separation in distance off the tee. Either the guy throwing 400' or the guy throwing 200' probably belongs in a different division.

It's possible. I'm a 400'+ thrower but I putt like MA5 usually, so I'm playing MA2 usually. I've been in divisions with a 250' thrower that is lights out inside 40', so we usually shoot about the same so it could theoretically be possible.

I can respect this interpretation from you & others who feel similarly. I do think that part should be clearer in the rules. As for me, when I TD an event I'll bring about 8 or so playing cards, Ace thru 8 and depending on the number of players each will start the playoff in the position of the card they draw.

The rule seems to mention that the tee order for the first playoff hole is going to be randomly determined.

I think the part about the random order is key. So while tossing a coin for two players is random you would almost have to designate which player is heads and which is tails before the toss. If player A is heads and the toss comes up tails then player B would tee first.

Also, did one of you call the toss? If so, how was it determined which one of you would call it?

Seems there are always gray areas and room for interpretation. I imagine this rule may end up needing clarification going forward.

On a side note, did you pull off the win?

"Who gets to call it?" is as trivial to me as "who gets to choose first?" if we are drawing cards or straws. That should be a non-factor. What we did was one would be the flipper and one the caller, and since both of us agreed, that was a non-factor as well (I flipped btw). If we had gone with heads Player A is first and tails player B is first, then I think we would have probably had the player walking with us to flip.

And yes, I actually won on the second playoff hole, kinda like I thought. I went first on the long playoff hole #1 and actually pulled my drive a decent distance but a little left. He was pure but short. So like I thought I could still save an easy par (4) with a Hyzer back to the middle and his approach was still 70' out. We both 4'ed and pushed. On hole 2, the wooded hole where he was first, his driver hit early and ricocheted into the punishing woods right leaving him with not much more than a pitchout. I threw a putter off Tee#2 playing it short to the middle. He decided to go for a little more than necessary and pitched too far left on his second. Seeing that, even though I had a 300-320 woods Hyzer to the basket, I layed up to 150' forcing him to try and get up & down from the left woods. He could only get to about 90-100' and I parked my putter approach, winning it when he had to try & Conrad his approach shot and couldn't .

It's like the monty hall problem. You think it should be equal chance, but you're much better off switching (going second)

Latest posts