• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Mid America Open

Sucks for the MPO golfers that had to play through multiple suspensions of play in R2, play 1-3 & 18(maybe), and then get cut when the decision to add a MPO cut & shorten the layout happened during the longer delay. Some of the later tee times just got delayed and they started on hole 4 knowing that 4-17 were the only holes they had to complete. Some golfers had to complete R2 on Sunday morning and end up getting cut as well :mad:.

Unsure why a cut was added but maybe incase the tee times needed to be moved up for R3 due to weather (but no FPO cut)? They did not adjust the MPO final card tee time (DGN broadcast time) but maybe the gaps were wider between cards - it still looked like a gap occurred between FPO finishing and any MPO tee times starting on the course. The playoff still ended up finishing around 7:40pm. I don't remember any backups for the lead card, maybe that card played very 'deliberately' slow and benefitted from knowing what they had to score coming down the stretch (seeing a few players take over par strokes coming down the last 4 holes).

The registration shows 134 total players out of 160 spots. IMO a reduction to the initial field size and starting rounds earlier to guarantee everyone gets to play all 3 rounds would be an improvement to the tournament experience. Imagine paying the DGPT entry fee and reserving lodging for 3+ nights to only get 32 holes of golf 🤬.

Imagine paying the DGPT entry fee and reserving lodging for 3+ nights to only get 32 holes of golf 🤬.

I experienced this playing FP40 at the A-tier version of the GBO (I think it was the last year it was the GBO) when our first round was suspended due to rain and flooding before we could tee off on hole one. We returned to that course on day two to play "round one" on a shortened 14-hole layout because four holes were inaccessible due to the still-high water. Then on the third and final day of the tourney we played the originally-planned third round. 14+18= a 32-hole A-tier.

Sucked.

I experienced this playing FP40 at the A-tier version of the GBO (I think it was the last year it was the GBO) when our first round was suspended due to rain and flooding before we could tee off on hole one. We returned to that course on day two to play "round one" on a shortened 14-hole layout because four holes were inaccessible due to the still-high water. Then on the third and final day of the tourney we played the originally-planned third round. 14+18= a 32-hole A-tier.

Sucked.
2016 Right? I almost had my 3rd round canceled because of that. Plenty of other divisions did, depending on the course and day.

Had to be totally awesome for those that did get the shortened tournament.

2016 Right? I almost had my 3rd round canceled because of that. Plenty of other divisions did, depending on the course and day.

Had to be totally awesome for those that did get the shortened tournament.
I think 2016 was the year that play ended after rounds 1 and 2 were completed without incident, and then icy-cold drizzly thunderstorms rolled in to squash round 3.

The highlight videos start out with somebody going "From Columbia, Missouri..." and it shows a picture of the State Capital in Jefferson City, which is a good 1/2 hour away from Columbia. :confused: The University of Missouri is in Columbia, so they could have opened with the Columns in front of Jessie Hall. It's actually a cooler looking shot anyway.

Jesse_Hall_and_Columns.jpg

I've only played Harmony two or three times, but managed to snag a tomahawk ace on hole 4 I believe (the downhill tunnel shot) and then lost the ace disc off the tee on 18 in the creek during the same round.

It was fun watching the pros shred a course that ate my lunch the few times I've played it.

The highlight videos start out with somebody going "From Columbia, Missouri..." and it shows a picture of the State Capital in Jefferson City, which is a good 1/2 hour away from Columbia. :confused: The University of Missouri is in Columbia, so they could have opened with the Columns in front of Jessie Hall. It's actually a cooler looking shot anyway.

View attachment 314001
Should have showed "animal house". 🤪

I did enjoy the course to the extent you could see it. Poor video quality.

Looks like a fantastic course to play.

PS: I was misinformed. Animal House wasn't filmed in Columbia after all. People that worked at UMC told me that it was, so I guess it is a common misconception. The Dean rejected it and they ended up in Eugene Oregon apparently. :mad:

Last edited:
Should have showed "animal house". 🤪

I did enjoy the course to the extent you could see it. Poor video quality.

Looks like a fantastic course to play.

PS: I was misinformed. Animal House wasn't filmed in Columbia after all. People that worked at UMC told me that it was, so I guess it is a common misconception. The Dean rejected it and they ended up in Eugene Oregon apparently. :mad:
Yeah, it was an urban rumor when I was going to Mizzou. It was funny to me then that people thought it was shot there since it was less than ten years after the movie came out and there was literally nothing in the movie that looked like anything in Columbia.

I've only played Harmony two or three times, but managed to snag a tomahawk ace on hole 4 I believe (the downhill tunnel shot) and then lost the ace disc off the tee on 18 in the creek during the same round.

It was fun watching the pros shred a course that ate my lunch the few times I've played it.
That's a cool ace to get! I've probably seen/heard more aces on that hole than any other at HB. Closest I have come is to skip one off the top of the basket which of course ended up 60+ feet away.

I will definitely check out post pro coverage. Sadly work got in the way of me attending in person this year.

Yeah, it was an urban rumor when I was going to Mizzou. It was funny to me then that people thought it was shot there since it was less than ten years after the movie came out and there was literally nothing in the movie that looked like anything in Columbia.
This was around 2007 I think. I was working with the central utility plant and someone brought it up. I had not looked into it before now, just assumed they knew what they were talking about.

My mistake.

Weird final round for MPO, but exciting ending.

Great course. I felt like good shots were rewarded and bad shots punished. Houck has got to be the best, or one of the best, at achieving this in his designs.

Buhr got extremely lucky on hole 18 throw 2. Seems like Buhr's FH had been yanked left multiple times over the final 5 holes and this throw was no different.

That shot followed Presnell's amazing second shot from a pinched off runup.

Last edited:
Like a surprise once in a while, and Buhr blowing a 3 stroke lead down the stretch fits the bill.

Pretty cool, technical course.

It looks like a course that could use a little TLC, and then serve as an elite series location.