• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Pro Worlds - Smuggler's Notch

Does anyone know if Smuggler's Notch was hit hard by the flooding? There is a state of emergency declared in Vermont today. My brother that lives there can't leave his house because the roads washed away.

Does anyone know if Smuggler's Notch was hit hard by the flooding? There is a state of emergency declared in Vermont today. My brother that lives there can't leave his house because the roads washed away.
I don't know, but Montpelier is flooded badly. My perception of Smugglers was that it was kinda up toward a ski resort, so that should prevent flooding. All that water running down a mountainside could still do damage, though.

I guess we just kinda have to wait and see.

This news story shows Smugglers' Notch sent its shuttle buses to help the local flooded senior center:

https://www.vermontpublic.org/live-updates/vermont-experiencing-significant-flash-flooding

"Smugglers' Notch Resort has offered to house any in the group who don't have other options."

I'd say that's a good sign that the disc golf courses didn't flood.

They wouldn't use those buses to rescue baskets though. Not surprising that a ski resort in the off season had buses to spare to rescue old folks.

I'm sure the courses are near last priority right now for the local authorities. They are thinking about limiting deaths and protecting key infrastructure.

I tend to think the location (in the mountains, right by the ski resort) would have put the courses out of the path of the worst rains, but I'm just speculating from a place of ignorance.

Good news is this happened a month and a half before Worlds and not a week and a half. There's hopefully time to clean up and in the worst case, change plans.

This news story shows Smugglers' Notch sent its shuttle buses to help the local flooded senior center:

https://www.vermontpublic.org/live-updates/vermont-experiencing-significant-flash-flooding

"Smugglers' Notch Resort has offered to house any in the group who don't have other options."

I'd say that's a good sign that the disc golf courses didn't flood.

Idk about that. I've got some friends in Cambridge and there's been some serious flooding in the village there. I'd bet most of Brewster is fine, but Fox probably took a hit from the reservoir and the valleys between holes are probably quite wet. There's more rain predicted in the forecast for the next few days so this could be really bad...and it was bad on my side of the lake earlier this month but it's been VT that has been hit hard of late. I'm going to reach out to them later and see if I can get some pics and I'll post them here to give an idea of the damage.

I'm guessing not every player/support staff/friend/gf/spouse/fan can actually stay at the resort?

I would think some need to stay close by in neighboring areas.

Plus they need to buy groceries, gas, food, etc while there.

Infrastructure and supplies/inventory might not be great in the surrounding areas for awhile.

Wonder if FPO will still happen? Anyone hear of any last minute lawsuits planned?

Vermont has pretty robust public accommodation protections so I'd anticipate Ryan being included in the field.
How does public accomodations protections pertain to PDGA/DGPT events. I thought membership clubs that have dues/fees were excluded from public accomodations protections.

I ask more for curiousity. I also fully expect NR to be included in the field.

Last edited:
How does public accomodations protections pertain to PDGA/DGPT events. I thought membership clubs that have dues/fees were excluded from public accomodations protections.

I ask more for curiousity. I also fully expect NR to be included in the field.

Quoting from PA ACLU
Following the passage of the Civil Rights Act in 1965, dozens of businesses and facilities – including swimming pools – tried to argue that they were "private clubs" so that they could exclude African Americans. The courts quickly developed a test to distinguish between truly "private" organizations and those that only claimed to be. Very few facilities qualified as truly "private."

In order to be exempt from the civil rights laws, a "private" club must truly reserve its facilities for members, and must have genuinely exclusive membership criteria – a club that will admit anyone who is not African American does not qualify. Courts deciding whether a club is "private" in this sense will consider the history and purpose of the club (including whether it was created to circumvent desegregation), the club advertises for members, it is directly controlled by its members and operated solely for their benefit, and the club is operated for profit.

Membership in the Valley Swim Club is generally open to the public. Therefore, it is a "public accommodation" and not a "private club" under federal and state civil rights laws.
Ironically enough there was a very tangential disc golf component to the Valley Swim Club issue as well.

Give me 5 bold predictions for worlds, MPO or FPO. Here's mine:

1 - Simon and Calvin will be 1-2, not necessarily in that order.

2 - Kristin won't win by as many strokes as last year (8), but will still win

3 - No past world champions (Paul, Ricky, Gregg, James) will finish in the top 10.

4 - There will only be two Americans in the top 5 of FPO.

5 - Gannon Buhr will disappoint and be outside the top 20. (This is the one I might regret the most)

5 different hot round throwers for MPO
2/3 of podium are former winners of GMC for both divisions
McBeth on chase card for 3 rounds
Conrad, Sexton, or Barsby make a chase/lead card
McMahon and Lizotte tie.

Smuggs is the Jekyll and Hyde of DG complexes IMO. Brewster I found fantastic. Fox Run on the other hand while maybe a great pro course I found to be pretty lame. Hate all that artificial OB. Kinda reminds me of worlds a couple years ago with the Fort and Mulligans (although I've only seen the latter on the tubes).

MPO podium will come from Dickerson, Isaac, Antilla, Ricky and Redalen.
FPO podium will be Tattar, Scoggins, and Missy.
Salonen outside the top 10.
Gannon, Paul and Calvin all between 6-10.
Ezra Robinson highest finishing sub-1030 player.

I probably will have changed my mind on all of this before the sun sets this evening.