• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2024 dynamic discs open

What do people think about the spotter wearing an Obi Wan Kenobi costume on hole 16? He uses red and green light sabers to indicate if a disc is OB or not.

In this case I think it's hilarious, but I typically don't like this kind of stuff.
I definitely don't want to see a lot of spotters wearing costumes or doing crazy stuff.
The announcers are loving it!

What do people think about the spotter wearing an Obi Wan Kenobi costume on hole 16? He uses red and green light sabers to indicate if a disc is OB or not.

In this case I think it's hilarious, but I typically don't like this kind of stuff.
I definitely don't want to see a lot of spotters wearing costumes or doing crazy stuff.
I think I'm with you on this. One person doing it is good fun, but if a lot of people doi it, it'd get old and quick.

Spiderman on hole 4.
Harry Potter on 12.
Gandalf on 18.

king actually called a foot fault in extra holes, after throwing three or four bad shots of her own. Will we finally see more calls now?

king actually called a foot fault in extra holes, after throwing three or four bad shots of her own. Will we finally see more calls now?
I had only issue with the call...it wasn't a foot fault!
Replay showed Missy's foot hitting her mini after she had thrown her shot and was pivoting. (I'm not sure if she use a mini or just left her disc on the ground)

But to the point of will we see more calls, IF a player steps on their mini then it should be called. It seems to happen fairly often in FPO, but they never call each other on it.

I had only issue with the call...it wasn't a foot fault!
Replay showed Missy's foot hitting her mini after she had thrown her shot and was pivoting. (I'm not sure if she use a mini or just left her disc on the ground)

But to the point of will we see more calls, IF a player steps on their mini then it should be called. It seems to happen fairly often in FPO, but they never call each other on it.

I totally agree it wasn't a fault, BUT… something was called. Maybe an icebreaker.

I totally agree it wasn't a fault, BUT… something was called. Maybe an icebreaker.
I watched it live and it was a bush league move by King. It seemed like she knew she wasn't going to win and decided to call a non-existent foot fault on Missy.

Again, I am all for calling foot faults when they occur. There were a few called this weekend in FPO. Players who occasionally miss their their lie by even an inch have an advantage over players who hit their lie everytime.

If one of my spotters showed up wearing that getup I would send them home. I want them to be as unobtrusive as possible. Of course I also hate stuff like walk up music so take my opinion with a grain of grumpy old salt.

2 foot faults were called on the same hole sometime during the weekend. I think Saturday maybe Sunday on 2nd or 3rd card. One on Ryan and then another on the very next throw. In both cases they both stepped on their disc causing the front to come up before the disc left their hand

We are allowed a pretty big surface area behind the marker that some part of our body (usually foot) must be touching when the disc is released. Seems like it is not asking too much for professional players to abide by that rule. Or am I misunderstanding the rule (or has it changed)?

Yes, call it more often. If you need a full send on a 2nd or 3rd shot, best make sure your foot can hit that 'piece of paper' sized rectangle. If you cannot be sure, do a shorter runup or stand still. Part of the strategy of the sport.

Everyone seems to want to plant their foot within an inch of their marker, which leaves very little room for error. If you doing a 2 or 3 step walkup or runup, the disc is going pretty far on that shot. Is an extra 6" of space going to matter at all?

It is my opinion that the rule was written mostly for putts and for those tricky lies where backing up or stretching out can really change the obstacles in your way or your angle of attack.

I won't say that I never call foot faults on wide open fairway lies - I have called one on myself and been called on one and thought nothing of it - but I don't really pay much attention and won't call unless I see something flagrant.

However on thise tricky lies I will watch, notify people if they're lining up illegally and call them if they violate the rule.

If one of my spotters showed up wearing that getup I would send them home. I want them to be as unobtrusive as possible. Of course I also hate stuff like walk up music so take my opinion with a grain of grumpy old salt.
I'm with you on this. The spotter is not there to entertain anyone (unless the TD or PDGA specifically wants and allows it).

I really liked the change on Hole 18. The new drop zone on hole 16 though ... MAJOR FAIL! I'm not sure what they were thinking, but watching dozens of 20 foot layup putts all weekend was ridiculous. That hole would be so much better if they moved the basket away from waters edge by at least a few feet.