• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 finger vs. 4 finger

The thing I noticed with the 2 finger grip is you gotta watch how you are going to land because if it hits on edge, it tends to roll a lot more. Makes me think theres more spin.

Another thing is I can throw the same disc as a buddy and his seems to fly faster while mine seems to move noticeably slower, yet my throws typically go further. I dont know why.

The thing I noticed with the 2 finger grip is you gotta watch how you are going to land because if it hits on edge, it tends to roll a lot more. Makes me think theres more spin.

Another thing is I can throw the same disc as a buddy and his seems to fly faster while mine seems to move noticeably slower, yet my throws typically go further. I dont know why.

2 finger allows more disc pivot = more spin. Its harder to get the same forward energy transfer with 2 fingers though and slipping is more common. It sounds like your 4 finger is jamming your disc pivot either from your grip or your hand anatomy, but I'd guess the former.

2 finger allows more disc pivot = more spin. Its harder to get the same forward energy transfer with 2 fingers though and slipping is more common. It sounds like your 4 finger is jamming your disc pivot either from your grip or your hand anatomy, but I'd guess the former.

Could be. I get a lot more early slips when Im trying to use the 4 finger grip though.

One thing I just realised I have a problem with is I get a, I dont want to call it pain but a cramp-like feeling in the back of my hand and wrist when I grip with the pinky and ring finger. I just really noticed it sitting here gripping a disc and checking out the different grips. Might be carpal tunnel.

This is probably why I can throw meathooks straight with my 1 finger grip.

Could be. I get a lot more early slips when Im trying to use the 4 finger grip though.

One thing I just realised I have a problem with is I get a, I dont want to call it pain but a cramp-like feeling in the back of my hand and wrist when I grip with the pinky and ring finger. I just really noticed it sitting here gripping a disc and checking out the different grips. Might be carpal tunnel.

Early slips with a 4 finger...hmmm...makes me think your fingers are too vertical on the rim or curled too much. When I grip a disc I place it right down the seem of the palm with the disc along my middle finger like Climo does in that video of the fork grip, but I use the modified 4 finger power grip. I then take my pinky first and place it as far toward the wrist as I can. If you watch that Climo video pay attention to where he puts the pinky. Then curl the ring and middle fingers, and finally lock the index finger with the tip knuckle under the rim. It should feel like to are about to pull a trigger, there is a trigger grip technique also when throwing, but it requires excellent timing.

I've had that cramp you are describing before when I was playing with grips. I think it was just because I was gripping too much compared to when playing or practicing.

This is probably why I can throw meathooks straight with my 1 finger grip.

Yep, you are getting massive spin(disc pivot), so fade doesn't set in as quickly. All your discs should fly truer with more spin.

If you are comfortable with it, stick with it, sounds like it works well for you. If you feel like experimenting then its simply that, experimenting. It sounds like your 4 finger grip may not be correct though.

Im having trouble picturing what you just said about your wrist. Disc orientation in your hand shouldn't really change from a 2, 3, or 4 finger grip, but your finger placement likely will to get the same orientation. If you are forcing your pinky on the rim too tight then it can tighten your muscles too much and you lose tendon bounce, and you may also lose disc pivot if your pinky doesn't rip first. The 4 finger grip should be progressively tighter from pinky to index(tightest). I don't know if you have seen Bradley Walkers Snap 2009 vids, but he explains it well in them.

here I took pics of what I mean about my wrist-grip. for some reason the force of the 4 fingers keeps my wrist straight.

Attachments

• IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 29
Seems like it would feel pretty weird to throw sidearm with 4 fingers heh...I gotta try it now. Even though I have no sidearm ability.

Yea, it helps me though. I put two of my bottom fingers on the underside of the rim. And two fingers on the underside of the flightplate, next to the rim. And my thumb on top. I can only do it with wide rimmed drivers, and and use a two finger grip for fairway drivers, mids, and putters when sidearming.

When I throw backhand I like to use three fingers, But I use the pinky, ring and middle and kinda some of the pointer!
I started doing that years ago to prevent irritation to my pointer finger and just learned to play with it.
When I use four fingers it feels like I get more D, but the release is so different I have to really pay attention to aiming the thing.
I guess what it boils down to is that you can make almost any grip work for you.

here I took pics of what I mean about my wrist-grip. for some reason the force of the 4 fingers keeps my wrist straight.

I think I can see why you don't like your 4 finger grip as the pinky is pulling the disc in too much(too much pinky pressure due to placement) and your fingers are kinda jammed together. I remember gripping kinda like that before and my pinky would stick. It looks like your 4 finger is exactly the same as your 3 finger but you just add the pinky on at the end of your 3 finger. Your finger placement should be slightly different from 3 to 4 fingers.

I like to start the grip by first placing the pinky. Then Curl the middle and ring fingers so that your finger tips are on the rim, and your index and pinky finger pads should be on the rim. I like to leave a little space between my fingers so they can each rip off separately.

Pic 1 is the modified 4 finger.
Pic 2 is the 2 finger.
Pic 3 is the top view 4 finger, although the 2 finger looks exactly the same.

Attachments

• 4fingerpd-1.jpg
    4fingerpd-1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 2fingerhurricane.jpg
    2fingerhurricane.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 4fingerhurricanetop-2.jpg
    4fingerhurricanetop-2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 20
:thmbup:I used 3 fingers under the riing for a long time. Probably about 3.5 years. I've been playing for about 5. When I went to the 4-fingers-under-the-rim (floating pinky) grip I lost about 30-50ft in distance because the timing wasn't there. It stayed that way for about a month switching back in forth trying both out. A big tournament came about during this time also, which sucked.

pushing 300 with three fingers -- pushing 450 with 4 fingers

Go with the four fingers. I would add --- do not run through a bunch of pics and videos and try to duplicate what you see to the "T". Your hand is going to be different than anyone's out there so "mirror imaging" a grip doesn't work (at least not in my case). Take what you see, get your 4 fingers under the rim, like you see, and move those fingers around under the flight plate and rim untill it clicks...."now that feels better when I hold it". Then it's all about timing and release point.

You'll get it.

Last edited:
I would add --- do not run through a bunch of pics and videos and try to duplicate what you see to the "T". Your hand is going to be different than anyone's out there so "mirror imaging" a grip doesn't work (at least not in my case). Take what you see, get your 4 fingers under the rim, like you see, and move those fingers around under the flight plate and rim untill it clicks...."now that feels better when I hold it". Then it's all about timing and release point.

You'll get it.

I switched to the same grip shown by sidewinder maybe 6 months ago and am now really starting to feel comfortable with it. Flattening the pinky takes away some grip strength (I think) and it takes a bit to get used to.

But TXDGBoy got it right - try moving all the parts of the grip til you find something that clicks. You will know. Then go practice it a lot.

Going to that grip and getting my thumb forward more than I thought I 'needed to' has given me about 50 feet and a ton of control on my midranges - from 250-280' max D on crappy lines to 300-320' with less power and much more shot shaping.

i have small hands, and sometimes my pinky doesnt want to stay on the rim of the disc. Sometimes it does lol. I would say naturally i feel better with a 3 finger.

i have small hands, and sometimes my pinky doesnt want to stay on the rim of the disc. Sometimes it does lol. I would say naturally i feel better with a 3 finger.

This is why I start my grip with the pinky and adjust the other fingers to fit comfortably.

I tried starting with the pinky but then my ring and middle fingers seem to want to be really bunched in with it; almost stacked while my index finger gets a little seperation. I guess that makes it a fork grip really. Is that normal?

I tried starting with the pinky but then my ring and middle fingers seem to want to be really bunched in with it; almost stacked while my index finger gets a little seperation. I guess that makes it a fork grip really. Is that normal?

With your pinky finger pad on the rim(first knuckle is not curled), then try curling your middle and ring fingers up, so that the finger tip/nail is touching the rim. The index finger pad then wraps around the rim and should have the most pressure, and should feel like you can pull the trigger. This is the modified power grip, like I pictured in pic 1.

Latest posts