• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

51 Club - A Poll

51 Club Participation

• Total voters
What I'm wondering is how can you get through life in the USA if you never carry cash?

Very easily actually.

Virtually, every purchase I make is on a credit card. In fact, I'm a little surprised we still have physical currency...

Credit Card Benefits (for me)
> Expense reconciliation & budgeting.
> 3% cash back on all purchases. So, I spend .97 & you spend 1.00.
> Cash (and coins) are dirty & inconvenient
> If my wallet is lost or stolen, it takes 5 minutes to cancel the credit card. Cash is lost forever...

But, since we're talking about disc golf, I pull a $20 out of the ATM at the beginning of league season. I can usually cash frequently enough to make this last through the season

Ok, I digress. 51 is a thing around here (St. Louis), but I think it's stupid. Of course, I think virtually all gambling is stupid, so take that with a grain of salt.

Lots of people here are "members". I don't really play it, but if someone calls it out before the round starts I'll agree to it and will pay out.

I play with a group of guys every Saturday (4-10 depending on the week), and we have a little ace pot. $1/week, similar to a league ace pot, but smaller. Although it has got to over 300 when we all had a drought of a year and a half or so. But I guess this really only works when you're playing with the same people all the time (which we do).

So I knew it was kinda sorta customary to pay up a dollar or a $5, just like paying your card a beer or a $ if you hit a black ace. I hadn't heard of 51. At the last tournament I played there was a club member trying to get everyone to throw a dollar at a guy that aced (actually 2 aces in the tournament for him). I should have paid up as I witnessed the second one, and in a tournament like that it makes sense without the ace pot in a weekly.

Never heard of a dollar for metal... that just seems way to cheesy but I guess I could get behind the thought with throwing money back and forth at each other if you have a group you play with that are all 51 club members.

Addendum to the poll. If you do play 51, in doubles do you split your earnings with your partner or do you expect your partner to pay up like the rest?

I always split with my partner, but I've had more than one try to pay me.

Which brings up an interesting story. Last week I was out of town, decided I would check out the local scene and got in with some doubles. A bit worried about dragging a partner down with me in random hey I'm just visiting pleased to make you throw your money away style, but he was cool with it when I let him know I'm a horrible putter. First few holes I was not throwing well... not bad but could do better then I caught fire and several holes had the best drive in the group (and I was told later I landed in a power group). So anyway part way through my tear of great drives I hit high on the basket, inches from an Ace.
A) No one even offered a $1 I got enthusiastic hi fives and fist bumps and a bit o' **** that I was sandbagging at the start.
B) I got to thinking what would I have done if I hit it? I have no idea what their ace pot was up to and I did pay into it? I honestly thought the right thing to do would collect like $36 or so whatever was equal to the people that paid in that day and refuse the rest or give the rest to my partner? It was all hypothetical but felt really wrong to show up 4 hours from home introduce myself as a mediocre player then walk away with all the ace money after contributing a grand total of $1.

Very easily actually.

Virtually, every purchase I make is on a credit card. In fact, I'm a little surprised we still have physical currency...

Credit Card Benefits (for me)
> Expense reconciliation & budgeting.
> 3% cash back on all purchases. So, I spend .97 & you spend 1.00.
> Cash (and coins) are dirty & inconvenient
> If my wallet is lost or stolen, it takes 5 minutes to cancel the credit card. Cash is lost forever...

But, since we're talking about disc golf, I pull a $20 out of the ATM at the beginning of league season. I can usually cash frequently enough to make this last through the season

Ok, I digress. 51 is a thing around here (St. Louis), but I think it's stupid. Of course, I think virtually all gambling is stupid, so take that with a grain of salt.

Yeah, most of my purchases are with a cc and I get that same 3%. But I virtually have to have cash in my pocket.

I use cash for tipping because I know the waitress/barber/bartender appreciates cash. I use it at places that charge a convenience fee for cc transactions under a certain amount. I use it for gasoline if they charge extra for cc purchases. I use it at the strip joint, haven't seen a cc machine hooked up to a g-string yet. And I use it when I gamble.

Slightly bemused at the folks too good to count pole hits.

*Hits the pole* "Pfft, fluky occurrence not worthy of my time."

*Barely glances off chains* "Well done sir! Truly an action worthy of my admiration. Here's a dollar as a small token of my affection"

Lots of people here are "members". I don't really play it, but if someone calls it out before the round starts I'll agree to it and will pay out.

If no one calls it, and your buddy hits an hole in one you stiff em?

I thought this was a unwritten rule. The money's not really the point, it's the tradition.

Well aware of it. Never cared.
A friend aced for his first time, like 8 years ago. He mentioned it to another random cat at the bowl hole later. That sucker jumped like he got shot with a bb gun and shoved cash in my buddys hand. I knew of the game then, but that was funny! He was not a regular.
We normally play ctp for dollars on one hole, but no worse, also overall winner gets shotgun heading home. Sucks if you drove!

Slightly bemused at the folks too good to count pole hits.

*Hits the pole* "Pfft, fluky occurrence not worthy of my time."

*Barely glances off chains* "Well done sir! Truly an action worthy of my admiration. Here's a dollar as a small token of my affection"

As I understand it, the logic behind not paying for pole hits is that if it was too low to have ever had a chance to go in anyway. At least in hitting chains, the disc had the right height.

Of course, that doesn't seem to extend to those willing to pay for cage hits which are also shots that were too low to ever go in. Maybe it's a relic of the era when wedgies counted?

Zero interest in paying $$$ for bad metal hits and aces. I have never taken money for aces or metal hits but I have paid money on good aces. Good aces to me are a super tight tunnel or 300+ ft open hole, maybe a big elevation change up or down.

My home course has a couple holes that are 150-200 ft that get aced at times 3 times in leagues certain weeks. One hole I have aced 7x. No thanks, I don't even celebrate that ace anymore, just put it down in my ace records

I hit said hole with a group of 15 people and got paid by most of them. Disc golf rich!!

The other day a guy in my group hit the basket off the tee and I gave him a dollar. He's been playing DG since basically DG has existed and he had never heard of the 51 club. So that made me wonder, how popular is it?

51 Club is generally a custom where folks on your card/group will give you $5 for an ace and $1 for hitting metal. So if you hit the pole on one hole and get an ace on another, and have 3 witnesses abiding by the custom, you'd get $18 ($1x3 + $5x3).

Basket or above, pole is no good in MN and most other places

As I understand it, the logic behind not paying for pole hits is that if it was too low to have ever had a chance to go in anyway. At least in hitting chains, the disc had the right height.

Of course, that doesn't seem to extend to those willing to pay for cage hits which are also shots that were too low to ever go in. Maybe it's a relic of the era when wedgies counted?

I've played with people who counted the pole below the basket.

Besides being even further off line than one that hits the top or outside of the basket, you get payouts for discs that skip or slide into the pole. And when a disc hits the pole right at ground level, especially after already hitting the ground, it can be particularly hard to tell whether it actually hit the pole, or just part of the ground near it.

Which is why I assume other people limit it to basket & above. Just my guess, though.

Addendum to the poll. If you do play 51, in doubles do you split your earnings with your partner or do you expect your partner to pay up like the rest?

I always split with my partner, but I've had more than one try to pay me.

Side take on this:
I don't play 51 during tournament play where I've paid into an ace pool. I already put my $5 in at the beginning of the round, I'm not going to pay you again. If you didn't join the ace pool, that's not my problem.

I have played a couple ace race type tournaments that have the "no pole" rule. Never really got it. Nearly every time, confusion ensued on a basket hit, as to whether it hit cage or pole. Sometimes the sound is enough to tell the difference, sometimes it is not.

Agreed. My brain cannot find the reasoning behind handing out money for a serendipitous occurance. My brain is pretty pitiful, so maybe I'm missing something. How about a dollar for hitting a particular tree? How about a dollar for a hitting trash can? How about a dollar for a good roll? How about a dollar for hitting a blue jay? How about a dollar for having a mushroom in your stance? How about a dollar for finding an abandoned shoe on the course?

Playing the game is entertaining enough for me

I curious as to why you are aiming at particular trees, trash cans, blue jays, mushrooms or shoes??? :p

Rule was only ever used in league and we had to put in for it to pay out $1 for every player then give $5 to the guy if he was from your card. It was used for only a bit, right before league stopped for a few years. Now league is random mixed doubles but can't have same grouping as week before to make it fair for players and not need divisions. Put in $5 And winners get cash.

Last edited:
Rule was only ever used in league and we had to put in for it to pay out $1 for every player then give later $5 to the guy if he was from your card. It was used for only a bit, right before league stopped for a few years. Now league is random mixed doubles but can't have same grouping as week before to make it fair for players and not need divisions. Put in $5 And winners get cash split 1/2 of total to each person.

to clarify Aces only we did not do the hitting basket as one player always seemed to hit metal using a Sonic as long putter in the 2000's.

Latest posts