• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

51 Club rules

cydisc

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Just wondering how universal 51 Club is around the country...

Around here, we play it as follows:

- $5 for an ace.
- $1 for "metal". In my group, this means any part of the basket. I know others who only pay for tray and above. Others pay only for chains.

Further, on legitimate par 4 and 5 holes, we play what is called "small metal", where if you hit a 2 on a par 4 or a 3 on a par 5, you would receive $1 from each player or 25 cents for hitting metal.

How do you all play it? Please also note your location.

dang you play with the high rollers!

most courses i play in socal do a dollar per person that hear the verified story. nothing for metal or eagles.

Your rules are how it is in MN among competitive players who have heard about it except for the "small metal" options which I hadn't heard before. I once hit an ace on the third hole of the round and another guy in my foursome later hit metal and then an ace so I made just $9 instead of $15 for my ace.

Last edited:
Just wondering how universal 51 Club is around the country...

Around here, we play it as follows:

- $5 for an ace.
- $1 for "metal". In my group, this means any part of the basket. I know others who only pay for tray and above. Others pay only for chains.

In Houston:

In Texas this is known as being in the "51 Club", and is very common. Like ThreePutt said any tee shot that aces is paid $5 by everyone else on the card, and any tee shot that hits metal is paid $1 by everyone else on the card. Works in reverse too though: if you hit a "Black Ace", i.e. tee shot into the wrong basket, you owe everyone else on your card $5.

A couple months back I hit my first metal on #12 at The LINKS at Quail Valley, but then had to pay out $1 to another guy who hit metal as well.

Funny story about my first witnessing of an ace...

A few weeks back we're playing in a charity tournament at McDade Park sponsored by Wal*Mart to benefit the Children's Miracle Network. It's set up by a bunch of Wal*Mart employees who don't really know what they're doing when it comes to disc golf and the "Ace Pot" was a $5 buy-in. First off that's a little high, Ace Pots are typically $1-$2, but it's potentially for charity so what the heck. But instead of the typical "Ace Pot" that pays out for hitting an ace on any hole, this one was restricted to just #18. Granted it's an easy straight 236' hole, but needless to say not a lot of players bought into $5 for one throw's chance.

The format of the event was a four or five person team scramble with each team playing "best shot" out of the four or five throws. (Yeah, a lot of birdies... winning team was -14.) So my team is on the top "card" playing with the best team in the event headed by local pro Dixon Jowers. We get to the 18th hole and Dixon tees off with his trusty Roc. I'd just finished marking the scores on the card from the last hole and look up to see his Roc flying down the fairway and landing perfectly into the basket.

Dixon hadn't paid for the formal Ace Pot... but with the team format he had eight other players on his card each paying him $5 for "51 Club". I think he probably made out better with that than the real deal.

ERic

P.S. I then got to watch him Sharpie his Roc to mark it's seventh ace.

That's about what I have heard, although only the people in the "chain gang" (loose collection of people that participate in the 51 rule) pay the thrower. They have to be there as well...

Yeah, we pay only within our playing group.

That's about what they do here, but I'd say its more a custom than a rule. A lot of people who don't play competitively that often don't know about it.

I'll gladly pay if I witness someone else do it, but if it was my turn to collect, I would not expect to be paid.

the informal league here in STL pays $5 per person for an ace, and $1 for metal, plus they have their own $1 buy-in ace pot that accumulates until someone hits it.

some pecker ( hi john :) ) in that league i was playing with hit an ace (and a metal earlier in the round) so he got $6 from everyone and $180 on top of that.

I'll gladly pay if I witness someone else do it, but if it was my turn to collect, I would not expect to be paid.

thats how i roll...i dont expect anything and whatever comes is a bonus. the juice from throwing an ace is enough to keep me into the sport for a few years. maybe im playing with a bunch of tightwads...:p

I was playing in a tourney last March, and was walking to the next pad and heard chains behind me. We all walked back to congratulate the guy, and I handed him a dollar for the ace. The disc gods smiled upon me, as it wound up being my first tournament win. Granted, there were 2 in my division, and I won by only 1 stroke, but a win's a win :D

man i hate paying out...but i fear bad DG god juju....

so i pay.

happily. flying spaghetti monster knows ive taken in more than ive payed out.

gotta learn what the course etiquette is and THEN decide whether or not to abide. if a guy i dont know came up to me and said "i made an ace...give me $5"...id give them a disc...a sharp dx inserted in a place where it wouldnt feel nice.

Last edited:
Is it true that if you don't have an ace, you don't pay?

I know there are some that play it such that if you don't have an Ace yet, then you don't get paid for metal hits. Personally I think that's kinda cheap/lame.

Around here you have to say whether or not you're a 1-5 member, and once you are in it is for life, you don't get to decide which rounds you want to play 1-5. And you only have to pay if a member of your groups hits it, apparently there has been some trouble as to if someone actually saw an ace/metal, so just paying within the group makes it easier.

I sometimes play with guys who usually just throw ace runs to try to get paid instead of winning the round.

BTW, hit my fourth ace today (on my way to change my sig), but no witnesses and no $5.

My interpretation of 51 in Dallas Fort Worth TX

$5 for an ace, (first shot, no emptying your bag at the 18th hole)
$1 for metal (basket and above)

Payout $5 to everyone on the card if you hit a "black ace" (wrong basket off the tee)

If you haven't ever been paid I don't think you are obligated to pay others. (just my thoughts)

In mini's and events that already have an ace pot, no money for an ace (unless it is a really really sick hole) but the $1 for basket and above still stands. I've been paid $5 by a guy who hit an ace on my card in a tourney and if I ever get a tourney ace I will probably follow his example.

I've been paid $5 by a guy who hit an ace on my card in a tourney and if I ever get a tourney ace I will probably follow his example.

That's classy, like jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt. I think I will do that too, if I ever hit a tourney ace.

Here in Asheville they have a thing called 5-2-1... 5 for the ace. 2 for chains. 1 for metal (although some people wont pay the pole). I only pay for the ace and wont take money for non-aces that hit metal.
DSCJNKY

Latest posts