• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

611 Foot Ace - Planting Open

Is that the longest verifiable Ace ever?
Or at least on video?

Yeah........but it was downhill.

This was #6 on ESPN's Top Ten Plays this morning.

Please tell me I failed to detect the sarcasm in your downhill comment.

The lateral movement distance of that flight path is insane lol.
Totally insane. Amazing how long it takes after it leaves his hand. Guy in the background is having a whole conversation during the flight. Lol.

Last edited:
Please tell me I failed to detect the sarcasm in your downhill comment.

Totally insane. Amazing how long it takes after it leaves his hand. Guy in the background is having a whole conversation during the flight. Lol.

Yep haha. The only ace I have witnessed live was like a baby version of this one. 410' ish, lefty backhand full flex turnover, picture perfect scenery. We had like a 5 second discussion about the extreme ace possibility.

But 611 feet wtf.

Not saying I recommend planting open, but Caleb Hall did on a 611 foot ace -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTsVwDqm__w

Planting closed/open isn't something people should focus on as much as they do. When your hip and shoulder are closed to the target, whichever way your foot naturally dangles is the way you should plant. Coming in toes-first can also make it look like you're planting a lot more open than you actually are.

Fail. Vertical video.

VVS is a serious issue and should be addressed.

Be careful, this paradigm is shifting. It used to be cool to make fun of vertical videos, but now thanks to TikTok and the fact that we consume most of our content on vertical screens, they're becoming more of a norm.

Remember, you're watching this second-hand on YouTube, and the person creating the content was likely doing so for TikTok.

It makes you look out-of-touch for saying that, despite it being the cool kid stance ~5 years ago (I used to say the same—but it's literally my job to stay on top of these things lol).

Planting closed/open isn't something people should focus on as much as they do. When your hip and shoulder are closed to the target, whichever way your foot naturally dangles is the way you should plant. Coming in toes-first can also make it look like you're planting a lot more open than you actually are.

Be careful, this paradigm is shifting. It used to be cool to make fun of vertical videos, but now thanks to TikTok and the fact that we consume most of our content on vertical screens, they're becoming more of a norm.

Remember, you're watching this second-hand on YouTube, and the person creating the content was likely doing so for TikTok.

It makes you look out-of-touch for saying that, despite it being the cool kid stance ~5 years ago (I used to say the same—but it's literally my job to stay on top of these things lol).
Oh god I'm getting old and out of touch….welp, time to move the rocking chair to the front porch and yell at some kids

Oh I'll stand on this mountain as platforms litterally destroy themselves to all have the same features as all the other ones.

Youtube shorts is a disease.
Instagram should be for photo's and such, not "silly video's" and "stories" this...
Ugh.

I need more wood to chop.

Talk about planting open foot...
HM0aazh.jpg

I've seen Eagle do this for upshots in the past, but never noticed it was this pronounced. His hip mobility is impressive!

From Simon's Euro vlog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm8wjyjfndc

I think they plant open in that case to limit hip mobility on purpose. Good way to take some power off without changing your upper body swing.

I could believe that. I assume he does it for accuracy, so he can be positioned more target facing -- like why some jump putt for approach shots.