• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A and B layout indicator

Parks

Double Eagle Member
If a course has A and B layouts, whats the way to show which layout is currently used?

I think I've seen something on a Hole 1 tee sign or kiosk that looks like a bolt with a little metal rotating piece behind it saying "A" or "B," and it locks so you need a key to change the setting.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this a real thing? Is there a better way to indicate the layout?

The old course in Rockford, IL had something similar to what you are talking about at one time. It appears that each tee sign had an A or B marker to indicate what position the basket was in. By the time I started playing the Rockford course most of them had been destroyed. Here is one of the remaining indicators. It is a great idea when both pin positions are blind.

100_3021.JPG

Two holes drilled in the signpost, one marked A and the other B. Put a bolt in the current pin position. Cheap and easy to maintain, but it requires signposts of some sort.

ChUcK said:
Two holes drilled in the signpost, one marked A and the other B. Put a bolt in the current pin position. Cheap and easy to maintain, but it requires signposts of some sort.

It is a good idea, but remember the course we saw that at (Ewing?), some of the bolts had been stolen. Kids these days....

I liked the system they had at DeLaveaga, where it was a small metal disc--might have even been a big washer--bolted to the sign post with sections marked of as A/B/C, and they'd just turn the disc to have whatever placement being the one on top. I think they tightened the bolt down tight enough so that the disc couldn't be rotated with bare hands. Maybe that's the system you're talking about? It looked low-tech enough though to not need a key.

ChUcK said:
we do the same thing at one of my local courses but with zip ties. cheap and no one wants to steal broken zip ties.

ChUcK said:

That was done at a couple of courses in Iowa City. It works pretty well.

Here's what I'm working with.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/870/bbd2f4a6.jpg

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/870/3cc35d9a.jpg

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/870/3d4b66aa.jpg

Yea we use the star stickers that you last saw in 4th grade. Hey, it isn't called the Goodlands.

Just playing. I love you Badlands.

I like the hand drawn tee sign the best...

most original tee sign award

At my home course we put A,B,C,D,etc... stickers on the tee sign pole. There is a hose clamp that is attached to the pole that we will move over top of the corresponding pin location. Works well but I pretty much always look anyway.

I thought this method was pretty chep and effective: eyelets into the sign-post under each letter, hang a lock from the current position. The zip tie thing would work just as well for that, but it does provide a target-of-opportunity for course gremlins.

There are probably a million ways to do it. I like the hose clamp idea- not very attractive to vandalize, since it's just a hose clamp.

Our tee signs are 4x4's. I spray painted a small A, B and C on them, and we put a screw beside whichever position it's in. It's fairly easy to change, I just carry a power screwdriver when we're moving pins, and sink them in far enough that someone would have to be fairly determined (or have a screwdriver!) to take the screw. And even at that, it's pennies to replace them.

If I did it again, I would probably put a small eye screw at each letter and hang a small padlock from the current position. Slightly more costly, but then you'd only have to carry a key with you.

Here's a pic I took at Morley Field. It was a plexiglas cover marked with magic marker or something, quick and easy but I don't see how the x would last long.

some call me...tim? said:
ChUcK said:

It is a good idea, but remember the course we saw that at (Ewing?), some of the bolts had been stolen. Kids these days....

Right. I've seen this at a few courses in California (most recent was Penn Valley). Nice system, but sometimes the bolts are missing. On some signs the holes were vandalized as well, so you couldn't even stick a bolt any longer.

some call me...tim? said:
I liked the system they had at DeLaveaga, where it was a small metal disc--might have even been a big washer--bolted to the sign post with sections marked of as A/B/C, and they'd just turn the disc to have whatever placement being the one on top. I think they tightened the bolt down tight enough so that the disc couldn't be rotated with bare hands. Maybe that's the system you're talking about? It looked low-tech enough though to not need a key.

This is very common, but about half the time the washer is turned to the wrong position at many courses, even at DeLa. It is not fool-proof by any means.

freeus said:
Here's a pic I took at Morley Field. It was a plexiglas cover marked with magic marker or something, quick and easy but I don't see how the x would last long.

They change the baskets there just about every day, so no need for it to last long.

I've become a big fan of walking the fairway before I drive, just enough to verify the basket position. This isn't a big deal, and it gives me time to think through my shot. Or better yet, play a practice round first, and go again!

Other than that, I've never seen a fool proof method employed at a course, although I'm sure somebody could come up with something pretty wicked, though it is an awful lot of time and effort to make it happen. Especially if you are going to try and vandal-proof something.

worthdan said:
we do the same thing at one of my local courses but with zip ties. cheap and no one wants to steal broken zip ties.

I like this best so far.

Nothing to steal, cheap, and people can't switch it. Worst case scenario someone cuts the zip tie and you just know you have to look for the position.

Thanks to all who posted, especially the descriptive pictures!

Here is my car parked behind 2E at Morley...same sign posted earlier. I was like, "oh damn! That's why there was such a great parking spot available!"

Car_Behind_Basket.jpg

I moved it before playing 3.

Tuscawilla in Daytona Beach has a round wooden biscuit with a hole in it with the pin position on it and they just bolt the right one to the sign when they change the pin. You could do letters, numbers, colors...pretty much anything.

My current city we don't have alt pin placements, we have alt tees. I thought that was the norm and never heard of alt pins other than from DGR. Is the major difference between the two just based on tee preference? That would be, pin placement you more than likely have a concrete tee. With alt tee's, I know here we don't have tee's at all but a marker in grass.

Maybe I'm just not picky enough to care, but the alt tees seem much better since you don't have to worry about figuring out the current pin placement, and you can technically play different placements on the same hole 24/7. Which isn't possible with pin placement since there's only one pin up at a time.

Why do courses prefer alt pins over alt tees? and vice versa?

Latest posts