• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A.D.D.

TBpantsReaper

So I have been practicing about 5-6 days a week for 2 months getting ready for the Brent hambrick memorial open. Up until today I felt super confident. off the tee, and in the circle. This tournament is my only vacation while im in the state for school so i wanna enjoy my self and make a decent showing. (playing adv.)

Enter my problem...

I have no concept of long term muscle Memory. I need to do something nearly everyday for it to feel natural or second nature. This tends to be a symptom of my A.D.D. so when I missed just 3 days in a row this week of playing after 2 months of solid playing. Everything just seemed to vanish. 500 ft drives turned back into 450-460'. My forehand is OAT city and my putts are hitting the side of the basket like crazy.

When school was in session I was taking my medication to help in class, but since i was paying out of pocket I stopped taking it for the summer. I feel like its really messing with me and my playing stability.

Does anyone else struggle with this? I am sure a few more days of practice will get me back on track but feeling shakey this close to tourney weekend after all the time I've put in is really unnerving.

Thank you.

i dont even believe in ADD

yeah if adderall is taken away, it will take a while for your body to function in a stable manner...if its a real problem, my advice would be to prepare your shots for the courses you're playing. show up a few days in advance and make sure you play and study the courses...make sure you have multiple shots in a mental queue for each tee. thats the best you can do, set your self up for birdies. make the game as simple as possible. putting and up shots are very easy, its all mental. so if you do your course homework and are prepared mentally, you should be fine....just my advice.

i dont even believe in ADD

I'm sorry to hear that lol. I do.
I guess it could be something else, Its more of a memory issue for me. Or like I can be looking straight at a line of text and by the time I get to the next line ill realize I didn't even really retain a single word. I was just scanning letters haha. Not like the whole can't pay attention in class scenario. It's kinda hard to explain. I'm pretty sure its just basic a.d.d. I know it probably just sounds like an excuse to most people haha. But even with a healthy diet and proper sleep habits I can usually still pinpoint the same symptoms. Someone else could probably describe it better than me.

yeah if adderall is taken away, it will take a while for your body to function in a stable manner...if its a real problem, my advice would be to prepare your shots for the courses you're playing. show up a few days in advance and make sure you play and study the courses...make sure you have multiple shots in a mental queue for each tee. thats the best you can do, set your self up for birdies. make the game as simple as possible. putting and up shots are very easy, its all mental. so if you do your course homework and are prepared mentally, you should be fine....just my advice.

I'm taking metadate cd. Its like adderall but a little more mellow and controlled release over long periods of time. But yah the difference between on and off is pretty drastic lol.
Your advice is what I think I'm gonna try n do. Make notes and figures and trust the data. Same principles as studying. I'll just have to trust that I can make the shots I know how to make.
Thanks for the response!

My advise is to go have fun and not worry about it. Do things that you enjoy doing. Don't make work and worry out of disc golf.

The best thing you could do is just relax and play your game. Don't get to gutsy and try to blast at the basket from 70 feet out. Play for par and get your deuces when you can get them. But most importantly, by any means, don't forget to.....

Oh, look! A butterfly!

animated_butterfly.gif

I pretty much have the same issue. I've never been able to get any type of muscle memory. Whenever I repeat a task several times in a row, it's pretty much random every time. I doesn't seem to matter how often I practice. I'll have days when things are on for a bit, and I'll do well for a while, but it tends to be a streak for a bit that doesn't last the whole game (true in DG, bowling, serves in volleyball and most anything else I do).

I don't have any advice, nobody else I play with seems to get it. They just tell me muscle memory kicks in if you do it enough.

I think you need to incorporate rituals into your shots, then the more you repeat the ritual the more pavlov's theory will work against your ADD.

Latest posts