• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ABC Disc mids and driver reviews

Let let me first start by saying that I'm a professional web/ graphic designer and have been working for a studio that specializes in company branding for years. We've done tons of branding work and helped countless organizations go from blah to WOW.

I haven't tried the ABC discs yet, I'm sure they're great discs. However, I want to discuss why you would EVER call ANY company ABC anything. Seriously, it's like you decided to give up when thinking of the company name. Think of all the things that come to mind when throwing a disc and trying to hit those beloved chains. You came up with ABC???? Open a phone book and you'll see hundreds of companies along the lines of ABC Plumbing, ABC Insurance, ABC Roofing, etc, etc and ALL of their branding materials are the most generic lame pieces of garbage. If you're going to have any chance of making it in an already competitive disc market, seriously consider rebranding yourself. Your logo, colors, company name, etc. is your first impression to potential customers. And as a professional all I can think of when I see your logo/ company name is some overweight plumber with his crack in my face removing hair out of the drain on my sink.

Again, I'm sure the discs fly great, which is the whole point of a disc. But ABC Discs? Seriously?

Let let me first start by saying that I'm a professional web/ graphic designer

A "professional" would not resort to blasting the name of a company on a public forum. It might be the initials of the people that run the place.

Perhaps a private message would have been a better approach.

Show a little respect and restraint.

A "professional" would not resort to blasting the name of a company on a public forum. It might be the initials of the people that run the place.

:thmbup: Second this :thmbup:

Let let me first start by saying that I'm a professional web/ graphic designer and have been working for a studio that specializes in company branding for years. We've done tons of branding work and helped countless organizations go from blah to WOW.

I haven't tried the ABC discs yet, I'm sure they're great discs. However, I want to discuss why you would EVER call ANY company ABC anything. Seriously, it's like you decided to give up when thinking of the company name. Think of all the things that come to mind when throwing a disc and trying to hit those beloved chains. You came up with ABC???? Open a phone book and you'll see hundreds of companies along the lines of ABC Plumbing, ABC Insurance, ABC Roofing, etc, etc and ALL of their branding materials are the most generic lame pieces of garbage. If you're going to have any chance of making it in an already competitive disc market, seriously consider rebranding yourself. Your logo, colors, company name, etc. is your first impression to potential customers. And as a professional all I can think of when I see your logo/ company name is some overweight plumber with his crack in my face removing hair out of the drain on my sink.

Again, I'm sure the discs fly great, which is the whole point of a disc. But ABC Discs? Seriously?

It stands for A Better Choice! Very nice Discs, Great plastic!

I think you're thinking of the wrong type of professional there chief. I write code, click a mouse, wear jeans and a t-shirt to work, drink beer at lunch and make fun of companies with poorly executed branding strategies. If you're going to cut corners when launching a new line of discs, the name is the last place you want to do so. I'm a professional because I kick ass at what I do and I don't have to play nice to get a paycheck. Discraft or Latitude 64, now those are names that conjure up awesomeness. They create imagery of finely tuned discs cutting through the air and slamming into the chains of a basket perfectly placed behind a group of trees. What do you think of when you see the name ABC?

Also, I believe this is the BEST place to let a company know they're heading down the wrong path. People on this forum live and breath disc golf and would be the perfect subset of the market to survey for a name that better describes their product. Do you seriously think that by me pointing out that they need help positioning themselves in a VERY competitive disc market will make others on this forum not buy their discs? If anything, we're a community that can help promote their products to the more casual player who doesn't spend time on forums and has no idea who ABC discs is.

ABC discs just started. It is only a couple of guys who wanted people to have a better choice of disc. Plastic is very different from any other. Sometimes the name isn't what gets it sold, it is how well the disc flys and stands up to abuse over time.

When browsing online disc retailers, if you look at the list of manufacturers that carries them ABC Discs is on the top (or right below Innova and Discraft).

THAT is free marketing.

The name doesn't matter if the quality is first rate. So far, I haven't seen one down here in Tejas... but if they're great discs...

Point is... make great discs and they will sell. (the Mission "looks" sweet).

I've posted this elsewhere, but I now use the ABC Mission instead of a Roc and ABC Money replaced my Wizard. The ABC Secret Weapon has become my power driver too. The locals I let try before they buy have been impressed so far.

Can anybody make a plastic comparison? Thanks.

Like the Evo Hpp? Interesting. Are they generally gummy or stiff?

Say what you want about the name ABC Discs, the product speaks for itself once you've tried it. Until then, what are you waiting for?

Got clear proto secret weapon and squirrel from Dan, loved them. Lost the clear squirrel, really missed it until blue ones with stamp arrived on my doorstep. They are somehow even better than protos, especially the flying squirrel. Proto squirrel plastic was a bit more floppy like Crystal-Z, regular run stuff awesome; lots easier to see than clear invisi-discs. As much as i hated looking for the the protos, I couldnt stop throwing them, now no question with colors. Look forward to brighter colors like pink and orange in the future.

The Squirrel is like the Secret Weapon's lil brother.Both understable, but not too flippy, love how they will do a smooth turn over early in flight path, then hold that line with very little fade on the end.

I use them both for tunnel shots. With a smooth release and touch of hyzer, the secret weapon is a laser beam, excellent glide, easy to get good distance without having to crush it, yet somehow not as finnicky as other "comparable discs" ive thrown.

To draw a comparison, call it my faulty throwing mechanics, but I only know what works for me.
when I chuck understable drivers with good glide, like monarch, sidewinder, rr, they tend to be either hyzer out, or annie out way to the other side, hard for me to throw with right amount of power to get a straight shot.

With Secret Weapon, it doesnt take much power to get distance, and the disc is not nearly as sensitive to snap either, which makes it easier to control and more forgiving than some of the aforementioned discs. Though it is understable, terrible roller disc, because it somehow refuses to turn sideways. If you crank on it, it will follow an annie line, but stay in the sky.

Ditto for squirrel. Like a stingray, but again, less flippy yet extremely easy to throw. Great for really tight wooded fairways. Surprisingly, it works well as a get out of trouble sidearm disc when you shank one into some shule, it handles the snap surprisingly well. It is easier to crank this onto an annie line than the secret weapon, but thats to be expected since its a slower disc. However, on the flip side the squirrel is great for stationary shots in tight areas, and goes straight with even less power than secret weapon

Squirrel is easy to use for low power beginners still trying to get a straight-ish shot. I have no complaints. Def worth a throw, if you havent tried them.

The plastic is great. Like champion, but feels a little more grippy, slightly more flexi. Smooth release, very consistant flight. Even the difference between the clear, unstamped protos I have and the blue ones, both still maintain the characteristics I like about the discs,

The mission sounds cool, might have to try one, but Im very picky about how many different molds I put in my bag, so probably wont anytime soon. Still honing my craft with squirrel and weapon.

Next time you order from wherever, instead of getting 15 katanas or newest universe melter super long range driver, get 14 of those and try 1 or 2 precision discs, squirrel/secret weapon. they are pleasantly easier to throw than the many other discs ive tried.

Out on the course, I see alot of people booming drives, then sucking it up on the technical and midrange game. Squirrel and Weapon save me strokes in tight spaces, helped add that elusive straight shot with min fade to my bag of tricks.

Will they be the longest discs in your bag? Probably not, but we've all been in spots and stood on tees where all our power didnt stop us from bushwhacking it and laying an egg on the hole. I was looking for precision when i tried these, and I am quite happy with what they allow me to do.

obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

Wow, you must have got one bad Gamma Ray. Mine was extremely controllable and straight, kind of a tweener distance/fairway driver. The worst feature is that damn dark red color, you can almost lose it in an open field.

I threw his Gammaray, I thought it was supposed to be like a preditor or Banshee. I thought about using it as my meat hook driver, it was pretty bad.

Even I turned over the flying squirrell with my noodle arm.

I'm pretty sure i got a junk one. And yes, the red isn't all that great of a color. the Blue isn't much better.

I got a Money Putter as well, but haven't used it yet. I'm still experimenting with a Zero line Pure.

hmmmmmm,

You suck with those, you should sell them to me :p