• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Accuracy/Footing Question

Zphix

Birdie Member
I asked in another thread how I can throw past 300 ft. and while I was out today with my buddy (PDGA rating of 991) I asked him about it and got an answer that I already suspected; my feet.

I went back through the Feldberg video on proper biomechanics and my transition from toes to heel to pivot is rough, and I seem to have a block about a full body pivot (only when I'm actually throwing for distance, in practice I can do it just fine) because I feel like I'll throw off the shot line... and needless to say because I'm not getting a full pivot I throw off the shot line.

So, how can I train my body to get used to that transition from toes to heel to pivot when I'm throwing? When I'm able to do it I cannot believe how well I throw the disc; on one particular hole today I through within 10 feet of the 363 ft. hole.

and I was able to HF my Comet and Mako today while I was out in the local field. When I'm actually throwing at a pin though the things I've worked on don't shine through. What can I do about this?

I asked in another thread how I can throw past 300 ft. and while I was out today with my buddy (PDGA rating of 991) I asked him about it and got an answer that I already suspected; my feet.

I went back through the Feldberg video on proper biomechanics and my transition from toes to heel to pivot is rough, and I seem to have a block about a full body pivot (only when I'm actually throwing for distance, in practice I can do it just fine) because I feel like I'll throw off the shot line... and needless to say because I'm not getting a full pivot I throw off the shot line.

So, how can I train my body to get used to that transition from toes to heel to pivot when I'm throwing? When I'm able to do it I cannot believe how well I throw the disc; on one particular hole today I through within 10 feet of the 363 ft. hole.

and I was able to HF my Comet and Mako today while I was out in the local field. When I'm actually throwing at a pin though the things I've worked on don't shine through. What can I do about this?

When I am teaching players who really want to make the change to a heel pivot, I get them to try this "trick." For RHBH, don't step with your right foot (pivot foot). Think like a ballerina put it down lightly on the instep of your big toe, then let your foot "roll" down to your heel. To see what it looks like, sit in a chair and get on the edge of it and lean to your left. Now pick up your right foot and put it back down on the instep just above the first joint of the big toe and your foot should naturally roll to the heel. Think like that as you practice in the field.

Now this isn't the technique, but it gets rid of that mental block so you can throw with a heel pivot as you learn the proper technique.

Try to isolate the step to heel rotation. If you keep your focus on that one aspect of your throw, it will become second nature. I've been working this way and its really helped, but its been a long process. Eventually, you'll begin to feel when your body is not inline for your proper throw.

Also videoing from multiple angles helps!

Latest posts