• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Discs

Most of my aces either have come on short holes with a putter (wizard) or easy fairway driver hyzer holes (firebird)

I am right handed. Recently I got an ace with lhfh. I have thrown lefty probably a total of five times in my whole life. How would you describe that?

b67b09ff28b5721234a1e706ad623797aff0e591d94cafe45bd89a7580b3c08e.jpg

Champ TL+
Esp Buzzz
Esp Flx Buzzz
Esp Flx Buzzz
R-pro XD
Champion Rhyno
Star valkyrie
Star Valkyrie
Glow Champion Valkyrie
pro Wraith

I used to keep them for wall hangers but I recently started throwing a couple again.

I got one pole hit and one chain hit, no Ace yet...

Polaris ls on pole and Saint Pro in chains.
As a beginner this was thrilling enough! :)

Most epic in basket came yesterday, birdie after 180' throw with. My new Compass on a
500' par 4 hole. Nice when you don't have to put. ;)
Bad drive into bushes, good hyzerbomb save onto fairway with my Saint Pro and then straight into the basket from there.

Last edited:
Elite Z Buzzz - 3 Aces with the same disc (that one is never coming out of my bag)
Elite Z Buzzz SS - 1 Ace
Nate Doss ESP Surge - 1 Ace

Not sure about that. When your aiming for a basket and it goes in, how is that luck?

Aces take skill to get the disc close to the basket, but luck to have it hit and stick. If acing was purely about skill, why wouldn't they happen more often?

Even if you're aiming for it, how often do you actually hit the ace? Like if you stood on a tee and threw 100 shots where each time you were running for the basket, how many would go in?

R-Pro Cro: super beat in, LHFH anny, very short downhill hole (160')
Star Boss: low line LHFH hyzer Skace (Skip-Ace) (256')
EMAC Truth: (208') LHBH hyzer spike, too high, wind catches it, stops all forward momentum, and it crashes straight right into the chains.

Unknown Discraft Ace-Race disc, 155' backyard throw-in? Felt like an ace :)

I threw Rocs for awhile before the Buzzz won out my mid-range slot...

DX Roc
Elite-Z Buzzz
Emac Buzzz SS
Elite-Z Buzzz
10-Year Buzzz

Not sure I can even remember. I'm not quite as obsessed with my aces as some folks. This is at least a close list.

Star Valk
Champ Valk
Star Kite
Champ Beast
QOLS
QMS
Tournament Tursas
Baseline Tank
SP Rogue
Champ SW
Medium Trak
Ultrium Respecti

Discraft Elite X Stratus
Champion Big Bird Roc3
Discraft Ace Race (2015) Roach
Champion protostar Mamba
Latitude 64 Zero Hard Pure
Champion Glow (Blue) Roc3

1) Whippet
2) Barracuda
3) Barracuda
4) Barracuda
5) Pegasus
6) Banshee
7) Banshee
8) Banshee (same one!)
9) Roc
10) 9X Gazelle

1-9 were 1996-2000
10 was in 2007

Played 3-5 times per week when I was in my twenties. 2 or 3 times per month since then. I've got until this August to not make it a 10-year drought!!

Aces take skill to get the disc close to the basket, but luck to have it hit and stick. If acing was purely about skill, why wouldn't they happen more often?

Even if you're aiming for it, how often do you actually hit the ace? Like if you stood on a tee and threw 100 shots where each time you were running for the basket, how many would go in?

The more times you have "close calls" the more aces you'll get. I had this discussion with a buddy of mine who has well over 300 aces. It's obviously just opinion and personal experiences, but we came up with 20-30 chain outs/basket hits/near misses between aces, on average.

So yes there's a degree of luck getting the disc to stay in the basket on 1 throw, but you could also argue there's a lot of bad luck with all those chain outs/basket hits/near misses -- it goes both ways.

Last year before we started a round (4 pro players and me), for fun, we agreed ahead of time that any aces would get $2 from each player. There were several close calls and I was the only "lucky" one to have one stick (uphill through a double mando, big hyzer through trees). Players around here are cheap! :p

We were actually talking about this Sat. On the course and came to same conclusion. i have a ton of shots burned into my memory of blowing up chains or hitting inside basket to have the disc kick out. I think more of those vs aces lol.

I was volunteering at a camp with a private course and probably tossed 100 different times at a basket straight a head '200 with everything from an ultrastar to drivers. Came so damn close many times but even the 2 strong side chain hits didnt stick... My first ace was on a basket that didnt even have all the back side of the cage rods :cool:

Legit Aces
1. VIP Warship
2. Ultrium Jokeri
3. Ultrium Jokeri

Cubby Aces
1. Premium Laseri
2. C FD

Too many practice aces to list from memory, but my more memorable legitimate ones are from:

FLX Surge
FLX Avenger
PFN Star TeeBird
BioFuzion Truth
Echo Star Wraith
Star Wraith
Star San Marino Roc
Champion Leopard

Since we are also talking luck versus skill in regards to getting them to stick in the chains, I have had several of those as well. My most memorable one would a Champion Leopard at the Des Moines Open on a 340' left to right tunnel shot. Second one will would be Justin Trails Big Brother 17 with an Eclipse Ion, another 350' shot slightly downhill with a massive drop off behind it. Third would be a solid hit with a Truth on Vision Quest 15 island hole. Including legit and practice, I am at least a three to one ratio for spit-outs versus sticking.

2 with champ Roc. 1 with a champ mamba. 1 with opto Furry. 1 with z Heat. 1 with Quest Scream. 1 with DX Kite.

Latest posts