• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ACID'S DYE TUTORIAL!!!

any of you guys have an idea for using a different material rather than printer paper to make the stencil? It works fine, but if I had something more durable, I could use it over and over.

You could try a heavy transparency (like for overhead projectors?)...that MIGHT let you reuse. You could print directly onto it as well.

Cool. Just a few more:

How many times can I reuse the same dye solution?
Does the Quest/Gateway SRP stuff dye well?

Thanks.

That's the first step-by-step dye process I've seen. Thank you for sharing your process with us. I've attempted to dye discs and failed miserably, but now it makes sense.

honkeytiger said:
Cool. Just a few more:

How many times can I reuse the same dye solution?
Does the Quest/Gateway SRP stuff dye well?

Thanks.

I really have no idea about Gateway plastics taking dyes, it's something you've either gotta try yourself, or post on the forums to see if anyone has any first hand experience with it.
Sorry I can't help ya there :(

But as for how many times you can reuse dyes, it really depends on how hot you put it. When I do blacks, and I do a lot of black dyes, it'll evaporate some of the water each time I do it. It's why I have a lot of black rit on hand. So that when it gets too low I can just make another batch and add it to what Ive got left from the previous stuff that's left over

Nice job teaching people to cut the design on the disc. I always think it's good to encourage others to scratch the hell out of their discs.

Geeeze dillweed. :lol: I can't see ANY marks on my discs that I've done that way. You have to be careful is all.

no matter how careful you are, there will still be grooves cut onto the disc. If I gave a disc of mine to a buddy to dye and it came back all scratched up I'd be a little upset. Not a lot, but a little.

Besides, why cut directly onto a disc if transfer tape costs next to nothing?

I started doing it that way because I couldn't get the sticky paper onto the disc without airbubbles or wrinkles, or without tearing it once I had cut out the design. I mean, if it has a lot of really small or thin cuts, there was no way I could get it on there decently. But seriously, I can't see cut marks on my disc even when I hold it up to the light. Maybe it's because I always have at least a little bit of bleed, and it covers it up. LOL Heck, if you saw my dye jobs, the scratches would be the LEAST of your worries. :lol:

What's this transfer tape you guys are referring to, and how do you use it?

I assumed he was talking about the contact paper...that's all I've used so far. Still looking for a place to scam some free or uber cheap vinyl with adhesive back. I know a guy that knows a sign guy....

Ah alright. The last few dyes I've done, I have used some Vinyl (Oracle 651 I believe) that I got from a sign company where I live. The first few discs had some bad cut marks in them, one of them because I cut out sections of the dye and it left cut marks across the dye area (will never do that again). Now they're not very noticeable. I'm sure an average player wouldn't notice them, but I know they're there. Does anyone here cut the really intricate designs out before putting on the disc, or is this just way too much trouble than it's worth?

Transfer tape is basically like a fat roll of masking tape. Same stuff they use with decals that are shaped/have multiple pieces to them (like Huk Lab stickers). Its sticky, but not as sticky as vinyl so you can cut out your design on the vinyl, away from the disc, pick it up in one piece with the transfer tape, stick it on the disc and pull the transfer tape away. Its another thing you can pick up from a sign shop.

ChUcK said:
Nice job teaching people to cut the design on the disc. I always think it's good to encourage others to scratch the hell out of their discs.

I answered your PM before I saw your post here. Was too busy to really look at the new posts when I got home from work to check it out.

Whatever works for you, do it.
I personally like doing it on the disc because it's quite obvious what's going to fit on the disc and what's not.
I wrote this how-to to help explain the steps that "I" take to dye a disc. Read the first main paragraph. I dont claim that it's the right way, or the only way.

You dont like it, no biggie. Do it your way if it works for you.
I got the suggestion to cut it on the disc here on the forums. I wrote up this how-to because I was getting 2-3 emails a day, + several PMs every few days on the forums asking how to do this and that. So I just wrote a step by step on what "I" do.
If you really think it's that bad, feel free to make your own how-to mr "2 posts ChUcK". I didn't write it for self glory or anything, just to help ppl out because I dont plan on doing this for my own personal profit or for my own personal business. I just wanna help ppl to learn to do it themselves.

I cut out my designs on oracle and transfer paper. peel off the backing of the vinyl and apply. I usuall cut on an aquarium with a light under it so I can trace my designs.

ChUcK said:

I've had luck both ways and have found that the cut-on-disc technique works better for small stuff and application-after-cut works better for larger, simple designs. In fact, as long as you don't get heavy-handed baboon style and mash the blade into the disc then you can get away with little to no scratches at all. Patience and a light hand is the key.

On another note, I really like the application of dye technique you outline Acidbath. I've had plenty of luck making a thick paste and applying it to the top but I always had to use too much dye to get the consistency right. I'll try this method soon and share my results.

AciDBatH666 said:
...If you really think it's that bad, feel free to make your own how-to mr "2 posts ChUcK"...
Not that his post was all that polite, but I think ChUcK knows his stuff. Check out the ODSA boards.

Ive seen his work.
it's pretty sick... I really like pretty much all the stuff I've seen.
It's just kind of a dick statement to say it's the wrong way to do it and "Great way to teach ppl to ruin their discs" when it's a technique that a lot of ppl use.
When in the first paragraph I state that you can do it whatever way that works for you.