• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ACID'S DYE TUTORIAL!!!

AciDBatH666 said:
Ive seen his work.
it's pretty sick... I really like pretty much all the stuff I've seen.
It's just kind of a dick statement to say it's the wrong way to do it and "Great way to teach ppl to ruin their discs" when it's a technique that a lot of ppl use.
When in the first paragraph I state that you can do it whatever way that works for you.

Agreed.

AcID, I can't wait to have time to trying dying some discs... stupid law school eats my life away. I swear that my first dyes are going to be Latin sayings... "stare decisis" or "quid pro quo." Hahaha, thinking about it, I think I might just do quid pro quo...

Anybody tried using laundry soap instead of Acetone? I remember reading something Dr Dye wrote a couple years ago that implied that was what he used. Just wondering if that was true or at least worked? If it is acetone that leads the coloring to bleed over time this may help extend the dyes lifespan.

I don't use any acetone and they still bleed.
Maybe one day I'll throw some liquid soap in the mix and see what I come up with. I believe i read somewhere, prolly here on DGR that it'll give you more vibrant colors. Isopropanal (sp?) also does other weird stuff that I haven't tried yet

I think I heard somewhere that vinegar makes colors more vibrant, but I never experimented with it.

I don't think there's anything you can do to stop dye bleeding through the plastic.
The only thing that comes to mind is "Take a picture- it'll last longer!"

My method is boil water, add dye & stir, let cool to luke warm and let it float.

Acid, a tip if I may. Use multiple pans for multiple colors. In case you don't clean them well between uses. I have two one for darks and one for light colors.

pd

Two questions:

1. I was checking out some contact paper at Walmart today. It looks like you could print on it. Has anyone tried it?

2. When dying the disc, does the whole top get submerged? My design will go to the very edge and since these discs have domes to them, I'm just wondering if they submerge enough.

I was able to print on the BACK of the contact paper I got at Walmart. It worked okay...just remember to reverse the image when you print, or it will be backwards. That's a little noticeable when it is text. :lol:

Well, the disc just sorta floats upside-down in the dye, and the edge of the liquid comes up to the edge of the rim. This is a picture of one of my Buzzz's in the pan- wherever you can see black dye, that's pretty much where it's touching the disc as well. (touching the vinyl, at least)
P1013878.jpg
P1013880.jpg

Don't rock the boat, or the disc WILL end up being submerged, and that just makes for a bad day altogether. I've learned the hard way not to ever move the pan while a disc is being dipped. So has my fiancee, unfortunately.

Nice work Chuck. Where did you get your design from? I have about 10,000 custom shapes from Photoshop that I can choose from, all somewhat similar to what you got there. Do you have a tek online somewhere?

A what? :shock: I just find images I like online and print em out.

I've tried printing on the contact paper and it didn't turn out too well. Smeared all over, and that was after letting it sit for a half day!

I have an ink-jet, but a laser-jet may work though. Haven't tried it.

pd

it will print on the back, as that is paper (at least all the stuff I've bought was). I used an inkjet as well. Hmm...I wonder if you could get the ink to stick on vinyl with an inkjet printer? I think I'll try it sometime. :D

2322224763_c38583184f.jpg

This is my vary first dye job :) Thank you for the help with dyeing discs. this was my test dye. Its on a KC roc and it does not take dye well :cry: I free handed the thing so thats why its not so perfect like all of your discs you guys have. Well im happy i dyed a disc and did not ruin the whole thing. Thanks for the help :)

Shoot, that's nice man...my lines don't come out that straight even when I use a printer to put them on the vinyl...I can't cut for crap.

Hey, if you have access to a laser printer, you CAN print on the vinyl! I just did a test, and it worked nice...I should have a superman disc tonite, if I can cut it out without hosing it up too much. :shock: :roll:

Hrmmm, laser eh. That's something I wanted to look into a while back. Was trying to find anyone I knew that owned a laser printer to see if I could cut out some 8.5X11" precut sheets to mark up my stencils.

I'm gonna start using Postcard Paper for my Stencils.

I don't like having any ink of any kind on the vinyl, because it can transfer to the disc during the dyeing process. I still have a few unthrown proline beasts/wraiths moldering away in a closet with dyes on them that were ruined by having ink on the vinyl.