• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Adidas Terrex should i have gortex or not?

Malawi

Par Member
Have had a pair of terrex swift r2 gtx a year now but they are ripping apart so just order a pair of ax3 without gortex.

But iam starting to regret it tho my swift r2 havent really been that waterproof and take time to dry after they been soaked.

Does anyone has experience of both gtx or without? Pros cons.

For me, the whole point of having Terrex shoes is the Gortex - otherwise, I'd just wear an old pair of turf shoes like the ones I wear playing baseball. An extra cycle on the journey of life before the trash can, if you will.

EDIT: if I KNOW it's going to be dry terrain - old baseball turf shoes are my preferred choice

Last edited:
I won't wear shoes that have GoreTex. It causes my feet to sweat too much. Every pair of shoes with GoreTex I've worn; I've had to leave in the garage after wearing because of the smell. So it's not for everyone.

How often do your shoes get wet? Do you play a course that has lots of water? Or do you wade in the pond/lake/river to retrieve discs? Is GoreTex really necessary? Only you can answer that.

I use Adidias Terrex Solo shoes as I really like the toe covering. I frequently drag my toe when I throw forehand...and the toe covering is the best I've found.

The need for water proof shoes is probably also climate and habit dependent. In my area, if I'm getting in an early morning round, odds are there will be enough dew (most of the year anyway) to soak through regular shoes. When I played tournaments, my socks would often be wet before tee off from practicing before the dew had burned off.

Another factor is that dg tends to split shoes that don't have a toe cap due to pivoting on grippy surfaces. Once you split the body of the shoe from the sole, even just a little bit, it creates a path for water to get in. At that point, whether you have goretex or not, your shoes are no longer waterproof.

The need for water proof shoes is probably also climate and habit dependent. In my area, if I'm getting in an early morning round, odds are there will be enough dew (most of the year anyway) to soak through regular shoes. When I played tournaments, my socks would often be wet before tee off from practicing before the dew had burned off.

Another factor is that dg tends to split shoes that don't have a toe cap due to pivoting on grippy surfaces. Once you split the body of the shoe from the sole, even just a little bit, it creates a path for water to get in. At that point, whether you have goretex or not, your shoes are no longer waterproof.

This x1000. I bought some allegedly waterproof pair of Columbia Trail Shoes but the dew soaked through them so fast that I may as well have been wading in a river. After about a year they are split exactly as you described. If you end up finding a pair of shoes that stay dry through morning dew let me know!

My friend got a pair of Merrels (Moabs maybe) that he really likes so I may have to look into those

This x1000. I bought some allegedly waterproof pair of Columbia Trail Shoes but the dew soaked through them so fast that I may as well have been wading in a river. After about a year they are split exactly as you described. If you end up finding a pair of shoes that stay dry through morning dew let me know!

My friend got a pair of Merrels (Moabs maybe) that he really likes so I may have to look into those

I have a pair of Merrells that have the same soles as the Moab (I think mine are the Alverstone). I'm forehand dominant and wore through the sole in about 5 months. Not a toe drag situation. The toe was pretty much fine. It was the bottom of the sole underneath the big toe where I pivot.

My last few pairs of dg shoes have all had a toe cap. It's now a requirement for me.

I'm almost 100% backhand dominant, so toe drag isn't an issue, but I find that the capped shoes take much longer for the shoe body to split from the sole. My current pair of Oboz were basically worn out when they started to split.

I've had Merrell Moabs in the past and loved them at first, but they just didn't hold up to dg abuse.

Have had a pair of terrex swift r2 gtx a year now but they are ripping apart so just order a pair of ax3 without gortex.

But iam starting to regret it tho my swift r2 havent really been that waterproof and take time to dry after they been soaked.

Does anyone has experience of both gtx or without? Pros cons.

Stuff your wet shoes with newspaper or towels/rags, they will dry quickly.

I just bought myself a pair of the Swift R3 GTX's and I gotta say I love them. Super comfortable, great grip, and the goretex has come in handy playing local wooded courses after a hard days rain. Even on hot days my feet don't overheat with a thin pair of socks. I originally bought a pair of the R2 GTX's online in my size (10) and wore them for a few rounds before I admitted to myself that they're too tight (would fit a 9-9.5 better,) so to Facebook marketplace they went. Still have them though, so if anyone is interested message me lol

My r3s stayed waterproof for about 2 months. Looking forward to wearing them out so I can move on. I think I'm done with waterproof shoes. Waterproof socks are the better option in my opinion.

Take it from someone who plays DG where it rains 200 days a year-doesn't matter what fancy materials you use, eventually your feet will get wet. My preference is waterproof-ish shoes and good wool socks of a weight appropriate for the temperature. Although it was SOOO wet at leagues last week I did just suck it up and play in rain boots.

When I played tournaments, my socks would often be wet before tee off from practicing before the dew had burned off.

Sorry to point out the obvious, but pro tip is that you bring an old pair of whatever shoes for pre tournament warmup, get wet, and swap them out with fresh shoes and socks come game time. OR you can buy one of those throwing nets and throw into that in the parking lot for a warmup. I've seen people do both.

To the OP, it depends on how cold it is where you live. The GTX doesn't really do much in terms of waterproofing. It really shines actually, and most overlook this, to keep your feet warm. They are a GREAT go between for those 30 to 55 or so degree days when it's too cold to wear regular shoes but you don't want to wear full on winter boots. My winter boots are pricey and I try not to wear them unless it's pretty cold and snow is down. I can easily get away with wearing regular GTX terrex in pretty cold weather, about down to 30, as long as there isn't more than an inch or 2 (or less) of snow pack. In lower Michigan, that's most winter days really, and I only have to break out my winter boots maybe 20 or so times a year. Really helping extending the life and tread on them, I've had the same 2 pair for a few years now and I bet they're gonna last many more years.

Outside of that, I like regular Terrex. I can find them for 50 bucks or less shipped and I just burn through them no worries. If it's a morning round, I just get wet and don't worry about it. A good pair of polyester socks and lots of experience playing with wet shoes and I'm good to go. An extra pair of shoes and socks for a 2nd round and some sandles to wear for the breaktime and ride home.

For me, the whole point of having Terrex shoes is the Gortex - otherwise, I'd just wear an old pair of turf shoes like the ones I wear playing baseball. An extra cycle on the journey of life before the trash can, if you will.

EDIT: if I KNOW it's going to be dry terrain - old baseball turf shoes are my preferred choice

Have you tried waterproofing you turf shoes with scotch guard? Or are the holes too large in the fabric?

Have you tried waterproofing you turf shoes with scotch guard? Or are the holes too large in the fabric?

Yes. It didn't work. Small sample size though. Only tried it once so it could have been a bad product I chose to spray them with. I'm not sure the product I used was scotch-guard per se, it may have been some knockoff. I'll have to try something else, perhaps

Goretex is great but…. After years in the outdoor industry there is no waterproof shoe. Water will get in. It's the prolonged exposure to water that kills the waterproof aspect. My goretex boots keep me dry for maybe 12 holes from the wet dew on the grass. It's so wet even these 300$ boots can't handle the water. (We get discounts). I've swapped to normal shoes and waterproof socks. My feet stay dryer longer, the non waterproof shoes dry way faster which is an issue with goretex, once it's wet especially inside the shoe it rakes a while to fully dry.

Waterproof socks have come a very long way.
Recommended brands?

I bought Cabelas goretex and a pair of sealskins over 10 years ago and wasn't really happy with them. But I'm ready to check out something new for this winter.

Latest posts