• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Adjusting to the slow pace of tournament golf

JHern

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I've noticed recently that I have a very difficult time keeping my game at a higher level in tournaments simply because they move so damn slow. It isn't the tournaments, its the snail pace: I've compared playing fast and slow rec rounds also, and noticed a strong correlation there, too. Its as if I can't ever stay warmed up, it just diffuses away.

(And the tournaments can be so friggin slow, at an earlier tournament this year a round of 18 took 5 hours to play! At one tee we had a back-up of 4 groups, and it was raining harder and harder the whole time we waited. Ugh!)

Anyways, does anybody have any tips or tricks for coping with long waits and snail pace rounds of golf? Its killing me, I know I can do so much better than I have, but sooner or later I'll need to get over this because there is no escaping the simple fact that tournaments are slow as hell.

What do you do to stay warmed up and on your game when the course is totally clogged?

Everyone works differently, but for me it's not a matter of staying warm/loose as much as I can't physically concentrate for a sustained period of time. If I only concentrated on my next shot I'd already be bored of it or have over thought it when it was my turn to go. When I played golf in high school I would bounce the ball on my club or juggle. I'd be willing to bring a small book of puzzles (chess puzzles, riddles, something to work my mind) if it would sufficiently distract me from boredom. The biggest danger of this is not being able to achieve the same high level of concentration as before you stopped to take part in your distraction. If this isn't your problem or you don't think you could regain your level of concentration quickly enough you'll have to find something else, but these little distractions have done wonders for me while participating in tournaments that slow the pace of play down much more than I would ever normally play.

I usually do stretching and do the whole fake-throw-with-a-towel thing to stay loose but like FierceTable said, everyone works differently. You need to find a way to regain you concentration after the wait.

5 hours for 18 holes?! That seems a little excessive - or is that common in tourneys?

5 hours would not be the norm for 18 holes. I was just thinking about this the other day. It's not the matter of being warmed up for me but losing the concentration when it's time to get up and throw. once I've thought the shot to death I just say "just throw the damn thing" and it's a crap shot if I'm not focused. I have a tourney this weekend so I'm really going to try and focus and e fluid with each shot.

Mad Scientist said:
5 hours for 18 holes?! That seems a little excessive - or is that common in tourneys?

No that is way, way, way, excessively slow. A rule of thumb is a full course with 24 holes takes 4 hours to play. Chop a half hour to 45 minutes off for an 18 hole layout.

It is bad to play in a slow group. It is much worse to play behind a slow group.

I don't care if players takes their time executing a shot, so long as they pay attention and move with a sense of urgency. I can't tell you how many times I have waited behind a group moving at geologic speed, watched them putt out and proceeded to have my group drive on the hole. As my group is finishing putting out the group ahead of us has not yet teed off-and the there are no groups in front of them! So my group just played the hole in the time it took the slow group to take scores and decide who should tee first! Of course this was not an aberration, it happens every hole until the round mercifully ends.

Almost uniformly the slow players DO NOT CARE, IN THE SLIGHTEST, THAT THEY ARE HOLDING UP OTHER PLAYERS OR THE TOURNAMENT.

The slowest players are not only slow they are inattentive. Think about the average smart, efficient player. If, for example, his drive leaves him a 100 foot upshot, as he is walking toward his lie, he has figured out who is away, what disc he will use and what line he will take. When it is his turn, he has disc in hand, steps to his lie, checks to see if his plan makes sense and throws the shot. Oddly enough this player has thrown a 100 foot upshot before and knows how to do it. The only question is how aggressive a line he chooses to take under the conditions.

In the same situation, the slow player is out but does not realize it. So the following exchange happens: "Hey Dude, you're out." Pause 30 seconds for recognition to hit the slow player (btw, 30 seconds is crazy slow reaction time). The slow player responds, brilliantly, "What, I'm out?" "Yeah, you're out" Now the slow player starts the cumbersome process of figuring out what kind of shot he has and what kind of disc he should use. So 30 seconds later he ambles to his lie and carefully inspects the situation. Can't be too hasty now, of course. But he is easily distracted and might need to change discs, just in case. So after mulling over his shot for another minute, he backs off his lie, looks around and says, "So I'm out?"

I just want to slap him. If you are in his group you can see this charade unfolding each shot. If you are behind his group, watching him for 10 minutes every hole before his group clears, it is maddening.

Although I am a big fan of groups officiating themselves, this is one of the few situations I would love to have an official there to give out strokes for courtesy violations (which taking excessive time is). But we all know that confronting a slow player will only slow down the process more. Where is a cattle prod when you need it?

A few years ago I was playing a tournament in bitter cold conditions, in deep snow and stuck behind a slow group from hell. We waited forever and got very cold as standing around is a frigid experience (trudge through deep snow, build up a sweat then wait for long enough it freezes to your skin). At the end of the round we were the last group in. The TD apologized but told us the second round was starting in 10 minutes as most groups had been in for well over an hour. Then he told us the free lunch provided by the tournament (pizza) had all been eaten. My car was a long way from tournament central, not that it mattered since I had not brought food, because, duh, the tournament promised a free lunch. Other than munching on snow, there was one source of nutrition: the tournament had a keg of Bell's Beer (2 Hearted Ale, strong stuff). So I slammed two beers and realized as I was stumbling to my starting hole for the 2nd round that I was more than tipsy, heck, I felt drunk.

At least you didn't feel as cold during your second round.

As for physically staying loose, there is no better warm-up (I find) than jumping rope. I've never brought one out on the course but I've always thought about sticking it in the bag. I'd much rather be up and moving than getting cold and stiff.

Mark Ellis said:
Mad Scientist said:

No that is way, way, way, excessively slow. A rule of thumb is a full course with 24 holes takes 4 hours to play. Chop a half hour to 45 minutes off for an 18 hole layout.

It is bad to play in a slow group. It is much worse to play behind a slow group.

I don't care if players takes their time executing a shot, so long as they pay attention and move with a sense of urgency. I can't tell you how many times I have waited behind a group moving at geologic speed, watched them putt out and proceeded to have my group drive on the hole. As my group is finishing putting out the group ahead of us has not yet teed off-and the there are no groups in front of them! So my group just played the hole in the time it took the slow group to take scores and decide who should tee first! Of course this was not an aberration, it happens every hole until the round mercifully ends.

Almost uniformly the slow players DO NOT CARE, IN THE SLIGHTEST, THAT THEY ARE HOLDING UP OTHER PLAYERS OR THE TOURNAMENT.

The slowest players are not only slow they are inattentive. Think about the average smart, efficient player. If, for example, his drive leaves him a 100 foot upshot, as he is walking toward his lie, he has figured out who is away, what disc he will use and what line he will take. When it is his turn, he has disc in hand, steps to his lie, checks to see if his plan makes sense and throws the shot. Oddly enough this player has thrown a 100 foot upshot before and knows how to do it. The only question is how aggressive a line he chooses to take under the conditions.

In the same situation, the slow player is out but does not realize it. So the following exchange happens: "Hey Dude, you're out." Pause 30 seconds for recognition to hit the slow player (btw, 30 seconds is crazy slow reaction time). The slow player responds, brilliantly, "What, I'm out?" "Yeah, you're out" Now the slow player starts the cumbersome process of figuring out what kind of shot he has and what kind of disc he should use. So 30 seconds later he ambles to his lie and carefully inspects the situation. Can't be too hasty now, of course. But he is easily distracted and might need to change discs, just in case. So after mulling over his shot for another minute, he backs off his lie, looks around and says, "So I'm out?"

I just want to slap him. If you are in his group you can see this charade unfolding each shot. If you are behind his group, watching him for 10 minutes every hole before his group clears, it is maddening.

Although I am a big fan of groups officiating themselves, this is one of the few situations I would love to have an official there to give out strokes for courtesy violations (which taking excessive time is). But we all know that confronting a slow player will only slow down the process more. Where is a cattle prod when you need it?

A few years ago I was playing a tournament in bitter cold conditions, in deep snow and stuck behind a slow group from hell. We waited forever and got very cold as standing around is a frigid experience (trudge through deep snow, build up a sweat then wait for long enough it freezes to your skin). At the end of the round we were the last group in. The TD apologized but told us the second round was starting in 10 minutes as most groups had been in for well over an hour. Then he told us the free lunch provided by the tournament (pizza) had all been eaten. My car was a long way from tournament central, not that it mattered since I had not brought food, because, duh, the tournament promised a free lunch. Other than munching on snow, there was one source of nutrition: the tournament had a keg of Bell's Beer (2 Hearted Ale, strong stuff). So I slammed two beers and realized as I was stumbling to my starting hole for the 2nd round that I was more than tipsy, heck, I felt drunk.

...and they always have this poor excuse to go along with it when confronting them about it and make sure that it sounds like your the a-hole for spazzing out about it. nothing wrong with them of course. it is tough to sit through it, but Mark, have you ever thought that they do it on purpose as an "icing" technique maybe?

masterbeato said:
Mark, have you ever thought that they do it on purpose as an "icing" technique maybe?

Not yet. The slow player is not competing against a single competitor but the whole division, some of whom are usually playing in front of him and therefore immune to such a warped plan.

Generally slow players are slow habitually. Being slower doesn't make a player better or a shot easier. It just makes the process slower and makes people not want to play with slow players even in casual rounds.

On a semi-related note, my wife was playing her first tourney last year in the rec woman's div and some groups behind her group kept yelling at her group (the only rec woman group) to hurry up and would throw on them before they could completely clear the green. They weren't playing slow like the person mark described but were slower because it took them 15 extra strokes a piece to get around the course than most everyone else.

p.s. I still hate the really slow players. At a recent tourney we played a complete hole before the group on the next hole even teed off. We get to the tee and ask what the hold up is and they say they were waiting for the wind to die down (the course and hole are both notoriously windy during the spring and it never dies down). Yeah we yelled at them and gave them a warning.

Frank Delicious said:
On a semi-related note, my wife was playing her first tourney last year in the rec woman's div and some groups behind her group kept yelling at her group (the only rec woman group) to hurry up and would throw on them before they could completely clear the green. They weren't playing slow like the person mark described but were slower because it took them 15 extra strokes a piece to get around the course than most everyone else. .

This is unacceptable. Sure it may suck being stuck behind rec women or senior grandmasters but maybe those people "stuck" behind these groups need to play better which may include taking some time before they throw. Never is it cool to throw in on a group, let alone in a tourney and even worse a group of women. Hopefully the ladies said something to the TD.

Everytime we've been stuck behind a slower group (usually 'cos they have more players), We'd just have aword with them and they would let us ahead at the next tee or so. If they're beginners they may even be interested in seeing a bit more advanced players drive.

Of course I've never met any really rude people on course. Disc golf is still somewhat new thing in Finland so we may not have all types yet (Some people living south may disagree), especially around where I live where there are barely any players at all.

Varsi said:
Everytime we've been stuck behind a slower group (usually 'cos they have more players), We'd just have aword with them and they would let us ahead at the next tee or so. If they're beginners they may even be interested in seeing a bit more advanced players drive.

Of course I've never met any really rude people on course. Disc golf is still somewhat new thing in Finland so we may not have all types yet (Some people living south may disagree), especially around where I live where there are barely any players at all.
This thread is mostly about tournament golf Varsi, I'm not so sure that's applicable... =)

jubuttib said:
Varsi said:

This thread is mostly about tournament golf Varsi, I'm not so sure that's applicable... =)

That is true. I think the Finland point still applies :)

But yeah. I was quite off topic there. Sorry. I wouldn't know much about bigger tournaments with my experience.

I really wish I could spend the hiatus practice putting, that would be ideal! But this isn't realistic, as it would distract other players while teeing off. So jump ropes, puzzles, a book, something else? I've thought about carrying headphones with music to keep me occupied, but this is already a borderline courtesy violation (unless maybe I only do it while waiting, but not between the first player to tee and the last player to hole out in my group?).

rodman20 said:
Frank Delicious said:
On a semi-related note, my wife was playing her first tourney last year in the rec woman's div and some groups behind her group kept yelling at her group (the only rec woman group) to hurry up and would throw on them before they could completely clear the green. They weren't playing slow like the person mark described but were slower because it took them 15 extra strokes a piece to get around the course than most everyone else. .

This is unacceptable. Sure it may suck being stuck behind rec women or senior grandmasters but maybe those people "stuck" behind these groups need to play better which may include taking some time before they throw. Never is it cool to throw in on a group, let alone in a tourney and even worse a group of women. Hopefully the ladies said something to the TD.

Intentionally throwing on a group is attempted assault, threatening behavior, and intimidation, and is grounds for immediate disqualification and ejection from the tournament. That's exactly what I'd do if I were TD in this situation; I would additionally call the police and press charges against the offenders.

JHern said:
I've thought about carrying headphones with music to keep me occupied, but this is already a borderline courtesy violation (unless maybe I only do it while waiting, but not between the first player to tee and the last player to hole out in my group?).
Didn't Barry Schultz have his headphones on the whole time at the Memorial?

Do you listen to death metal at the highest volume setting? That may be the only way to get a courtesy violation ( if asked more then once to turn it down). Headphones are fine like i said as long as others cant hear it and you're alert to what is going around you.

Our tourney last weekend was 36 holes, par 54 on the front, and a par 57 for the back. We where able to fit in both rounds and an hour for lunch in just under 5 hours. It felt like a reasonable amount of time, and for a monthly tourney, it was nice to play two full rounds on two different courses. There where those that still complaned that it was way too long and that slow play was the culprit. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a 5 hour round of 18.

I have played 4 tournaments locally and they have all been 2 hours or under per 18 holes,and none of these are short courses.

I have 2 tourneys coming up that are much larger and out of my areA starting in Arpril. Now you have me wondering if I need to put something into to my routine to practice or get ready for some long rounds. Any thoughts on how to stay focused and bide my time during holes?

Best solution I ever found for the long tournament round was a stool. Sit down, take a load off, and wait for the hole to clear or for a playing partner to mark their lie, decide on a plan of attack, and then throw ... It will help you for sure.

Many solutions to adjust to the slow pace. You could between holes :

- do drugs
- play fetch with your dog
- read up on quantum mechanics
- tell your flight about what you just read
- do your taxes
- set up your laptop and do some naughty webcam show
- practice headbanging to metal music
- sell drugs
- stand 5.99 feet from a tree and practice putting
- bring a solar cooking device and bake a cake

Edit : I am not too sure about this forum and mentioning drugs etc... It's a joke, k ?

Latest posts