• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice for getting over stage-fright?

CabMakio

Bogey Member
Still a newish player who's been playing under a year. Mostly play by myself but occasionally with friends who are on the same level as me.

I play respectably enough considering how long I've been playing but still occasionally struggle with consistency.

Problem is, when a stranger is nearby, I don't have struggles with consistency anymore - I become completely inconsistent. I just get it in my head that the random person is probably a future Paul McBeth and I'm going to make a fool of myself unless I throw my definition of a perfect throw, this usually results in me going out of bounds by like a hundred feet even if I'm in the middle of a great round.

Really takes the fun out of it for me. I love playing disc golf but now that the weather here is finally cooling down to the 70's, the courses are packed. I find myself driving to my local course and if there are too many cars in the parking lot I just turn around and drive home.

I have no shame to show people my "A-game" it's just that when someone is watching I become a first-timer all over again. I know this is completely illogical to care what other people think, but I need advice to get over it. Anyone else struggle with this when they were new?

Absolutely I struggled with it when I was new! It will diminish with time, especially if you make practice / fieldwork / learning your game a priority. Absolutely nobody is perfect - but there are certainly players that can adjust their game as they notice issues.

In the meantime, just know that nobody worth their weight in salt is expecting a 6 month in player to have anything worked out. Maybe after 6 years...

Yep, for a long time
First:

Every time others are near I just try and look as smooth and effortless as possible. I am now to the point I actually get kinda excited when others are around because I'm focusing better and generally make better shots... still crank one off into the parking lot occasionally...

Second: practice practice practice putting. Getting over the stage fright in driving is one thing. Stage fright and putting for me was 1000x worse and step up to a tournament or competitive round and ugh... smooth and steady is still key, but for me putting has just been a bit longer road.

How do you know you aren't the next Paul McBeth? There is a good shot that the person you see walking nearby is thinking the same about you. Bottom line is, we are all out there to have fun. Not only that, but every single disc golfer was new at one point. Lastly, we aren't talking about some other sports where people are typically judging others. This is a sport, in my experience, that others would prefer to help each other get better.
We've all been there, grip it and rip it my friend.

I love playing disc golf but now that the weather here is finally cooling down to the 70's, the courses are packed. I find myself driving to my local course and if there are too many cars in the parking lot I just turn around and drive home.

Let me get this straight: it's 12.27, two days after Xmas, five days after the shortest day of the year and you say it's just COOLING DOWN to 70° where you live and you say you frequently drive to your course and then DON'T play because there are too many cars in the lot?

Do realize how many of us would kill to be able to play in 70° weather right now? Try 90% of the disc golfing population.

You claim that you love playing. Prove it by getting out there and playing. Quit worrying about what everyone else is thinking. Here's a fact: no one gives a s*** how you play disc golf, especially other golfers. Other golfers are too worried about their own game. In fact, if McBeth did see you play, he'd probably be kind and gracious to you, the way he usually is to everyone all the time. Same goes for every pro I've ever met. Other Ams could not care less about other players, pros are ambassadors and it's part of their job to be nice.

If it matters so much to you, get your reps in and improve. Maybe read Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect if you continue to find even a modicum of confidence elusive.

70° in December... smdh...

Just throw anyway. Here's why.

Nobody watches bad players. It hurts to watch because everyone else has made the same bad throw at some point - and it is still fresh in their mind.

If you make a terrible throw, all attention is diverted away from you for the rest of the round. It will only cost you one throw to have a virtually private course.

Use this as a learning lesson and practice. If you are able to focus and concentrate enough to over come this then focusing during a tournament will be much easier.

The mental aspect of the game needs learned and practiced also.

And don't take it so seriously, even the seasoned players have bad rounds and look foolish at times.

Relax. Deep breath. Visualize your target line. Go thru your pre-shot routine. Squeeze the disc hard once, then relax your grip. One last look at the target. FOCUS. Make a nice smooth pull (dont try to kill it) and follow thru twice as much as normal.

Time.

Eventually you'll realize what most here are saying: No one cares if you throw bad, everyone remembers being a beginner, no one thinks badly of you.

It's even tougher when you play through a slow group, because you're forcing them to stop and watch. I caution people that they're about to see something really horrific, in case they want to avert their eyes. That way, if I throw badly, they were forewarned, and if not, it's a pleasant surprise. That sort of lowballing eases the pressure.

But, mostly, relax and don't give the others a thought. They're not giving you one.

Let me get this straight: it's 12.27, two days after Xmas, five days after the shortest day of the year and you say it's just COOLING DOWN to 70° where you live and you say you frequently drive to your course and then DON'T play because there are too many cars in the lot?

Do realize how many of us would kill to be able to play in 70° weather right now? Try 90% of the disc golfing population.

You claim that you love playing. Prove it by getting out there and playing. Quit worrying about what everyone else is thinking. Here's a fact: no one gives a s*** how you play disc golf, especially other golfers. Other golfers are too worried about their own game. In fact, if McBeth did see you play, he'd probably be kind and gracious to you, the way he usually is to everyone all the time. Same goes for every pro I've ever met. Other Ams could not care less about other players, pros are ambassadors and it's part of their job to be nice.

If it matters so much to you, get your reps in and improve. Maybe read Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect if you continue to find even a modicum of confidence elusive.

70° in December... smdh...

Keep in mind that for ~4 months of the year it is 100-125 degrees here, which is why I'm not accustomed to seeing anyone else on the course

Last edited:
Tell people you're playing opposite handed due to injury and they'll think you're really good!

OP you got to learn to recognize when your thoughts drift toward the negative and consciously force yourself to think of anything else. If you're playing a casual round you really don't have to obsess about any particular shot or round in itself. Just let the thought go and immediately pivot to something else.

When you're on the tee or lining up an approach or putt you shouldn't really be thinking about anything anyway. At that point you should just be focused on going through your routine and committing to the line.

Empty your mind before every shot. Visualize the line you want, imagine the correct way to throw it, and execute it.

That's what always helped me. If I step up to a shot and think about the ways I culd mess it up, chances are I do that instead ;)

Keep images of any of the Allman Brothers, Sabbath or Lemmy nearby at all times on the course and crank up any of their songs when you feel insecure or intimidated and you will shine.

Do you have a background in competitive sports? If yes, then think of the things you did in those situations. If not, the best way for me in any sport was a routine. Something comforting that you can fall back on anytime you get nervous or in a tense situation on the course. And just remember. You're throwing overpriced pieces of plastic through the woods. No one lives or dies based on anything that happens out there. Just like in any sport. Have fun.

Join a league. You will get use to playing around strangers very quickly and league play is generally more relaxed compared to tournaments.

The one time I recall getting an extreme case of stage fright was last year at the Birdie Bash Worlds. We had all completed our tee shots and were walking up to our lies when we notice that the one and only Terry The Disc Golf Guy Miller is standing behind the basket with his camera. YIKES! My knees were a-knockin'. My lie was closest so I went after everyone else, who all missed. I was about 25 feet out. I could not get my heart to stop thumping so hard, but I did my best to pick my link. I did not make the putt, however, I did get metal. I think if I knew beforehand that there was going to be a camera there I would have been less nervous. So, all that to say, block out the external, quiet the mind, go through the routine, make the putt.
Oh, and join a league.

Latest posts