• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ALL Mach baskets should be outlawed in pro tournaments!

Two throws the same (minuscule random possibility that can happen) with target rotated or elevated by a millimeter between throws will produce different results. In fact, the second thrower among worst shot partners (identical twins) putting from the same mark with the same exact putter and throw will be facing a slightly different basket after his brother removes his putter even if he adjusts the chains. Even the energy from absorbing the first putt slightly changes the link temps. Yes, butterfly effect.

Two slightly different throws (speed,spin) hitting the exact same spot on the chains will also produce different results. It's possible to reduce the variance in results by tweaking the basket design but not with outer chains.

Yes, but there are so many variables per say that you can't determine the result is from the mm difference.

And once again...The thing that everyone is failing to consider here in these discussions is the unbelievable cost it is going to take to make all pro-tour courses compliant with the new "standard."

How much do baskets cost again?

How long does it take to disassemble the old ones then replace with the new?

What the heck are you going to do with baskets that are no longer "compliant?" Sell them? LOL good luck...

Yes, but there are so many variables per say that you can't determine the result is from the mm difference.
That's true. My point is that we can identify the many variables that can produce different results from seemingly the same input. Only some of them are controllable such as not using chains as the outer deflector. We can't realistically redesign a basket to 100% catching level like holing out on the Moon Door in Game of Thrones. Even then, players would complain they couldn't get their discs back.

Why is it you never hear about basket complaints from tournaments with DisCatchers? :popcorn:

xeozd.jpg

just throwing this out there... chain configuration can be altered without throwing out / replacing a complete basket...

I mean, if this becomes a big deal... :rolleyes:

third parties could even get in on that and make kits for each basket type... just spit ballin'

Wasn't there some big hullabolloo last year about how putting was too easy for the pros and how we need to change every single basket to a smaller target...

And now someone is crying that it's too hard.

Maybe McBeth is making critical remarks of the Mach baskets because they weren't made by his sponsor and is made by his sponsors main competition? Anyone consider that? I mean shoot, if I were in his shoes getting the cashola to play DG I'd probably do the same thing...

We have a winner!:)

I expect one day we will get a nearly foolproof basket design, and people will still complain about it!

And once again...The thing that everyone is failing to consider here in these discussions is the unbelievable cost it is going to take to make all pro-tour courses compliant with the new "standard."

What the heck are you going to do with baskets that are no longer "compliant?" Sell them? LOL good luck...

People have been complaining about the baskets used at the BHMO for years. I think McBeth jokingly referred to them as "crappy baskets" after his win last year. Looks they are finally getting replaced and FB informs me that they are looking at Mach X's.

Interesting....

just throwing this out there... chain configuration can be altered without throwing out / replacing a complete basket...

I mean, if this becomes a big deal... :rolleyes:

third parties could even get in on that and make kits for each basket type... just spit ballin'

How about a cone made out chainmail.

Apparently not too much because Mach Xs showed up at a number of big events last year. I also think DD is replacing baskets at a couple of Texas events this year.

Wasn't there some big hullabolloo last year about how putting was too easy for the pros and how we need to change every single basket to a smaller target...

And now someone is crying that it's too hard.

Maybe McBeth is making critical remarks of the Mach baskets because they weren't made by his sponsor and is made by his sponsors main competition? Anyone consider that? I mean shoot, if I were in his shoes getting the cashola to play DG I'd probably do the same thing...

Wow! Why didn't I think of this? So McBeth, knew in advance that JP was going to ask him to do the voice over, looked for some footage of splash outs and set up to bad mouth a competitive company.

How frequently do pros in any sport set up to bad mouth companies that aren't currently sponsoring them to make sure they never sponsor them in the future?

Never assume malicious behavior when simple stupidity will do. McBeth told the truth, but probably wishes he hadn't.

Dave Cox is local and one of the best putters I've seen. His disc always enters the basket on a hyzer angle. Even when it hits on the left side of the chains they are knocked down into the basket.
All of that (plus an ace) can be seen on this video.

To me this says it's the putting style and not the basket
He won the Worlds putting contest one year.

Wow! Why didn't I think of this? So McBeth, knew in advance that JP was going to ask him to do the voice over, looked for some footage of splash outs and set up to bad mouth a competitive company.

How frequently do pros in any sport set up to bad mouth companies that aren't currently sponsoring them to make sure they never sponsor them in the future?

Never assume malicious behavior when simple stupidity will do. McBeth told the truth, but probably wishes he hadn't.

I really doubt McBeth is too worried about not being sponsored by DGA in the future.

He may in fact believe what he said, but if it were Innova baskets that had the alleged issues, I doubt he would have said anything.

You seriously think anyone with a sponsorship isn't going to try to improve their lot with said sponsor by taking shots at the competition when the opportunity arises? C'om on man, that dog won't hunt. Wishes he hadn't? Why? What exactly is Discraft or the PDGA going to do about it? I'll tell you what they'll do...nothing.

Apparently not too much because Mach Xs showed up at a number of big events last year. I also think DD is replacing baskets at a couple of Texas events this year.

Of course basket manufacturers are going to do that sort of thing. If they want to do that great. But my complaint is putting the responsibility on those volunteers that run events to switch out baskets to something compliant is onerous at best.

For what its worth, the Mach X baskets have been universally praised at Northwood Park in Morton, which was the featured course for Ledgestone for many years. We replaced the baskets there, which were Innova baskets, and I can say that they are much better at least im my opinion. In general we have seen less spitouts and more putts in the basket. I can't think of any pros who complained about our switch to Mach X.