• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Alpha - Power Fairway

How is the fade, dumpy or forward?

Forward forward forward. One of those discs that responds well to power and doesn't just drop out of the sky, it wants to push forward while it fades. There are a couple versions that have more dump, but generally this is a forward fading fairway.

Managed to trade for an Alpha, which will be arriving this week. Looking forward to comparing it with my Rivals, Volts and Veterans.

Bagged my set of Alphas for the Outlaws tournament at Old Settler's Park (very open, windy) over the weekend. Here were my findings:

Purple Apex 173g (2nd) - Less stable than I was expecting with lots of glide. Worked really well powered down for hyzers around 325 ft. Stopped throwing in headwinds after the first one popped up and drifted right. Still love the feel on this one, great dome profile.

Pearly Green Eternal 170g (2nd) - Similar to Purple Apex, overlap caused me to not reach for it much. Would hold an anhyzer line well, didn't seem to want to turn with a flat release though. Imagined it replacing my C-Line CD2, currently too stable for that role. Plan to try it more on FH, not as necessary on this course though.

Orange Eternal 173 (1st) - Workhouse throughout the 3 rounds, fantastic flight. Handled all headwinds with perfect confidence and consistently got me 350-375 ft with great accuracy. This one slots right into the role of my S-PD, except with a fuller feel in the hand.

I chose to leave the dark blue Sublime in the trunk, but I look forward to seeing where it fits. I also picked up a 165g Orange Apex and 174g Candy Pink Eternal, hoping they will be the most US/OS of the bunch, respectively.

Last edited:
The Alpha isn't a competitotr for disc of the year it is a competitor for disc of the decade. It is like a PD/FD combo with even more distance potential. I have three Eternal First Runs.
The Orange which is the OS workhorse very similar to a PD with more glide unfortunately has a couple of black specks that really stand out but kinda look really cool.
The Yellow/Chartreuse which is how I think the mold was designed to fly basically straight with some fade much like a longer TeeBird but with better HSS than TeeBird3 or ThunderBird.
The Pink which is like an even glidier and longer FD with turn but a fade that always brings the disc back to center or slightly left of center. The Pink also has a very blunt edge whereas the other two have a more rounded edge.
I feel like the Alpha is the fairway version of the Iconic Destroyer. It actually flies almost as far as my Destroyers but with way more control. I thought that I might kick out my PDs or my TeeBirds but not both for the 3 Alphas I have. I may just bag my Alphas, my Rocs, and my Rhynos from now on. I really wish I had a Blue Eternal and one that is almost FB OS. Has anyone else noticed the DM anhyzer like top on the Alpha?

I really wish I had one that is almost FB OS.

Yellow 2nd Run Apex fills this slot for sure. I will be honest, not in my core bag as I prefer very low glide and a bit slower for an OS utility disc (Tyrant for me), but if the wind picks up, that Yellow Alpha goes in the bag and just eats headwinds all day.

I love my s-FD, so workable! It has great hss, fairly gentle fade. I'm finding that it does get a big squirrelly if I try to push it out too far, compared to my Teebirds.
So if I wanted a longer FD I'd want a pink eternal?

I also throw Teebirds for most of my distance needs and a thunderbird when I need more stability. What's the upside of a Teebird or thunderbird like alpha, what are the alphas doing better?

I love my s-FD, so workable! It has great hss, fairly gentle fade. I'm finding that it does get a big squirrelly if I try to push it out too far, compared to my Teebirds.

I also throw Teebirds for most of my distance needs and a thunderbird when I need more stability. What's the upside of a Teebird or thunderbird like alpha, what are the alphas doing better?

I'm not 100% sure that my pink isn't a freak in terms of flight due to its blunt edged rim. They go just as far if not further than the TeeBird/ThunderBird with a better HSS and Alphas are far better for FHs.

i throw fd's still and had 4 in the bag at one point. the blue eternals took over my 2nd run cfd spot and the sfd i had in the bag. the only one left is the flippy sfd and a d line thats for rollers. i think you cant go wrong with the blue ,pearly pink or pearly green eternal or purple apex in this run for the fd replacement.

if you want a tb or thunderbird replacement i would recommend the candy pink/green 2nd runs or orange/pink/yellow 1st run eternals. for a thb i think those too can be replaced by with what i just mentioned,maybe even the yellow apex or sublimes.

im sure some others can chime in for the other colors and plastics

My second run light blue eternal is a longer FD and doesn't get squirrley even if I mash on it FH. It will turn if I tell it to but it's a controlable turn.

My second run light blue sublime is a Teebird/Eagle hydrid with the length of a Thunderbird.

Last edited:
Bagged my set of Alphas for the Outlaws tournament at Old Settler's Park (very open, windy) over the weekend. Here were my findings:

Purple Apex 173g (2nd) - Less stable than I was expecting with lots of glide. Worked really well powered down for hyzers around 325 ft. Stopped throwing in headwinds after the first one popped up and drifted right. Still love the feel on this one, great dome profile.

Pearly Green Eternal 170g (2nd) - Similar to Purple Apex, overlap caused me to not reach for it much. Would hold an anhyzer line well, didn't seem to want to turn with a flat release though. Imagined it replacing my C-Line CD2, currently too stable for that role. Plan to try it more on FH, not as necessary on this course though.

Orange Eternal 173 (1st) - Workhouse throughout the 3 rounds, fantastic flight. Handled all headwinds with perfect confidence and consistently got me 350-375 ft with great accuracy. This one slots right into the role of my S-PD, except with a fuller feel in the hand.

I chose to leave the dark blue Sublime in the trunk, but I look forward to seeing where it fits. I also picked up a 165g Orange Apex and 174g Candy Pink Eternal, hoping they will be the most US/OS of the bunch, respectively.

From the non rare/transitional colors I've thrown, the purple apex and royal blue sublime are the least stable. Not as stable as we'd like but still a really good version of the disc. The variance is a big reason we are embracing the Serial # and differences in colors with each run. I've always believed there aren't bad versions of popular discs, just a lack of information from the manufacturers. So fans get a different experience than expected when the stability skews between colors. Innova/Discraft never had to embrace it because they created the shelf space I have to fight for. I am on DGR/DGCR because I wanted that information that only other fans had. I learned there is a niche for it and I love providing it :)

How different are these compared to an OLF?

I wouldn't have thrown the JLS/OLF combo if this disc existed when I was on Team Millennium. This replaces both and fits the stable gap that exists between the molds.

The most similar thing with a new OLF is the late forward stability that kicks in. If you find a straight Alpha, it hyzer flips just like a beat up OLF. The only difference I'd say is that it doesn't do the really late flip you see with an OLF at top end speeds. But I only saw that with really beat up and flat OLFs, so I don't have an Alpha there yet.

Yellow 2nd Run Apex fills this slot for sure. I will be honest, not in my core bag as I prefer very low glide and a bit slower for an OS utility disc (Tyrant for me), but if the wind picks up, that Yellow Alpha goes in the bag and just eats headwinds all day.

The candy green and pink are my firebird replacements right now. Or more like a nice first run CPD. It has a flat top, where the Apex yellow is domey. I like both I just prefer a flat top fairway for my hands.

The candy green and pink are my firebird replacements right now. Or more like a nice first run CPD. It has a flat top, where the Apex yellow is domey. I like both I just prefer a flat top fairway for my hands.

This is what I wanted to hear. That's exactly why I jumped online and ordered an AL-02-17 Candy Pink Eternal while there are still some left.

Right now my Teebirds top out in the 330-350' range. Am I going to love this mold as much as you guys with this level of power/form?
How power hungry would you say the mold is?

I'm thinking a light blue eternal and a light blue sublime. In the high 160's

Also, does Mint ship to Canada?

Right now my Teebirds top out in the 330-350' range. Am I going to love this mold as much as you guys with this level of power/form?
How power hungry would you say the mold is?

I'm thinking a light blue eternal and a light blue sublime. In the high 160's

Also, does Mint ship to Canada?

I've got similar power level (or a bit less) and relatively clean throwing form. Your going to LOVE it at 300-350 feet. It is not power hungry at all in my experience. I was pleasantly surprised at just how straight up stable (not overstable) the disc is even at moderate power levels.

I agree with your colors and weights and have the same setup. The sublime has a bit more late bite to the finish and they make a great pairing. The light blue eternal handles everything straight and the sublime handles shots I want to hook up more and hyzers that push forward. I've added a first run orange Eternal and a candy pink second run eternal for FHs and overstsble BHs and headwinds.

Since ZJ is being lazy and only posting to Reddit... ;)

vV4sA5N.jpg

Spicy and secksee! Most of us don't throw tie dye, but these are beautiful looking. As a dyer, I appreciate the craftsmanship. Might grab a wall hanger or a "purdy" disc for some open courses where you won't chance losing spotting.