• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alternative Fun Event Formats

Jenga54

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking for ideas on an alternative format for an event. Looking at doing player packs that include 1 new disc, plus some swag. The crowd in this area are majority very new players, average around 1 year experience. Looking to draw lots of new people, kids, ladies, everyone.

Current ideas on the list include:

- Ace Race. One throw, move on. Points based for metal hits and aces, using disc from the pack.

- Birdie Bash. Also points based for Birdies, Aces, Eagles, etc. using discs from the pack

- Two/Three disc challenge. Get 2/3 discs in a pack, and use those.

- Old & New. My idea, use one New Midrange in the player pack + ONE disc of your own, your choice.

- Skins. Don't do it often, if at all, don't know how this could work for an event.

I like the idea of points based scoring, it gives the opportunity for everyone to try and score some points. Basically some thing different beyond standard scoring, fun and inviting. Love to hear any ideas from things that have been successful and fun!

I have done both Ace Race and two disc events recently and both can be fun.

If your goal is to involve new players I've found the Ace Race format to be quite conducive to getting them involved.

I've ran to in the last year, and in the first o e the top three were; newb in his first event, solid (almost Bagger level) intermediate player and a 30 year DG vet.

It can absolutely level the playing field.

Two disc events if everyone has the same two really show the guys who have a neutral playing style and can use most any disc.

If you let your audience pick their discs often someone who finds a disc just like one they lean on will win.

Example I had a 30 person field and the guy who won was probably the 3rd best player there. He won because he loves Firebirds and throws them all the time. He got a Spark and it clicked for him. The guy that I though would win throws Drstroyers and got a King based on the numbers. A couple too many accidental turnovers cost him the win.

Mulligan format, especially appealing to newer players, where they get one free re-throw on every hole (drive, approach or putt, their choice) if they wish to take one. You track the number of re-throws used by marking a dot on the scorecard for each one. Fewer dots are used as a tiebreaker for players who are tied at the end on score.

Not a format, but try having a Ring of Fire as a side event. We tag a few of those to some of our events, and everyone loves it, even the newest players.

Mulligan is a fun format. Almost no matter what you do, the good players have a better chance of coming out on top, except maybe Ace Race and a lucky shot.

I've run many Ace Race and Birdie Bash events, looking for something a bit different so that kids and new players don't score 0 - 2 points all day. That's tough to see. Ring of Fire went very well when I did it, especially if you have 25+ players.

Budget permitting, and an appropriate course, a ton of CTPs are great in events for beginners and inexperienced players. They might not throw consistently enough to win the event---under any format---but if they get that one good shot that wins a prize, they leave feeling a bit like a winner.

I've done this in small groups of people - I could imagine how it would be fun in a large group format, the rules I'm making up at the moment:

Entry fee is one disc (or two discs? or more? as many as each person wants? just brainstorming..).
Discs must be of a certain predetermined value - i.e. each disc must retail at $15 and be at least 8/10, TD is the final judge.
Each player must play with only the disc(s) they are entering with.
In the event of a lost disc, you must replace it with any disc of equal value.
At the end, all players put all the discs they entered the tourney with into the center.
1st place chooses one disc, discs are then chosen in order of placing, starting back at the beginning after each player has chosen one.

Virtually any format can work, for your goals, if promoted right.

The best format matches for you, if desire really is wide demographic target, with any desire for new, female, or youth players, will focus less on skills or scores, and focus more on the event, player gifts if any, and on stressing that "this is an All Skills, All Ages" event. "We mean it! we really do!"

Reverse engineer it. What hindrances would keep those you wish to attend away and not come?
Answer their concern on the promotions. Actually say "We want new players!" "You don't have to be a good player to attend!"
you want to promote in a way that says Even if you throw a score of one hundred, we will still be glad you came.

Intimidation is strong with people looking at their first organized event.

Focusing on skill or merit prizes on promotions makes the intimidation wall higher for these potential attenders. Big Money for first! and then a bunch of insider terms, "CTP" "deep payout tables" "Sanctioned" Tiered entry fees. Anything that mentions player ratings. The mere incorporation of a PDGA logo will lead people to think that its not for them, they are not good enough or they need to be better before trying an event.

The next step is actually inviting people, in person, by handshakes, and by passing out event fliers on the course(s) person to person and friendly but directly asking for an attendance commitment. "Can I trust you will be there?" You will be surprised.. once someone gives a verbal, your odds of them coming rise dramatically vs cold promoting.

The other added advice is to end the event with something that makes people smile so they end on a positive note. A ring of fire as mentioned above does that. or snacks/ice cream… or both. Random draw Door prizes over merit prizes I say for growth type events.