• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

Terrible decision by the Salient crew. They expect people to dress nice to spectate the event and then poor trash on the progress being made in getting women into our sport.

They did make progress getting women into the sport - did you miss the hooter's girls carrying the scoreboard? :doh:

I am the guy that posted about being in second place in the AM division.

First let me say that the course was amazing. The grounds and welcoming of the country club was great. The directing of the event how ever was very shotty. Several discrepancies in rules, OB's, and numerous other topics. Over all I really enjoyed the players and the course and equally was displeased with all of the staff minus the volunteers. Being that the AM's were promised time on the stream (friend is digging through his e mail,) and did not get it put a real sour taste in field. There was 10k worth of money provided by amateur entry with no trophy prizes or even merch. The least they could have done is let the lead card have a final 6. Then again I am not surprised by the reputation of the people running the event.

There was 10k worth of money provided by amateur entry with no trophy prizes or even merch.

Didn't they give out about 24k worth in players packs? Or at least a fraction of that, in real-world value?

I'm not defending them and I hope you find the email---I'm about 80% sure I read the same thing, somewhere.

Still no scores? It's been, what, 10 hours since the all but 4 players finished?

Well, since here in Columbia we're still waiting for results from their tournaments in February and April, I wonder how long this will take?

Indeed they did or at least I assume. The players pack was very nice. I am more so bitter due to the fact that the other players from literally all over the country didn't get the feeling of any respect for their play. I myself am a local and could care less, in fact I left with the top scoring ams to play earlwood, but for the guys that put in 15-20 hour drives to play their event could have at least had a small recognition of their play. I am also quite certain I read it as well. Things were changed multiple times on the website.

I certainly saw a lot of posts from guys from distant places, excited about their chance to get on ESPN. Leaving aside their probably misunderstanding---ESPN3, not ESPN---something certainly led them to believe that the top Ams would be on the webcast. It seemed to be one of the things that drew so many Ams, after the initial attempt to fill with pros fizzled.

I watched from start to finish and had low expectations. Here are my thoughts:

1) the start was flashy with the sizzle of the rotating ESPN banner. Got me excited.

2) Billy and Barry behind the desk was good. I really thought Barry did a good job the whole round. He is way better than Avery in my opinion. He has a future as a broadcaster if we ever get big time.

3) liked Billy. I've never seen him before. He was a bit repetitive with the "youngster" and "old man" hyperbole.

4) course looked very nice. Baskets sucked balls.

5) the guys played generally awful. Didn't do a lot to show off how much skill they all have.

6) I'm sure they originally had no intention of showing scores since Ricky had such a big lead. But as soon as it got close, boom! We got scores. I was glad to see that and the stage was set for dramatic finish. Poor play meant that didn't happen.

7) video feed was superior quality as expected, but camera angles were way off. They probably just don't have any experience with our game.

8) no amateur coverage as promised is typical Failient. Can't wait to hear what Kilgus comes up with for that one.

9) awards ceremony really lame. The ending sequence with the replays of the good shots and Ricky holding up the basket was pretty good.

So yeah... Nothing groundbreaking in the least. With decent editing, they could get this packed into 1-hour easily and it would be watchable. But that's what we have with the YouTube crowd.

I'd love to see this on ESPN2, but I'm not holding my breath.

They did post that the top ams and and top
Pros would be on ESPN. A good lawyer could get the entry fee of every am returned as well as probably travel expenses for not following through.

Also as for the rules issues. Maybe instead of banning me after only 1 post on their ADGT Facebook page for asking "why not use PDGA rules instead of the rules posted, as there are quite a few issues and holes in the wording"

Maybe instead of banning someone trying to help, they could have an actual conversation and work towards fixing the issues

I was gonna play, then they banned me over - question. I want no part of anything they ever do again.

I am the guy that posted about being in second place in the AM division.

First let me say that the course was amazing. The grounds and welcoming of the country club was great. The directing of the event how ever was very shotty. Several discrepancies in rules, OB's, and numerous other topics. Over all I really enjoyed the players and the course and equally was displeased with all of the staff minus the volunteers. Being that the AM's were promised time on the stream (friend is digging through his e mail,) and did not get it put a real sour taste in field. There was 10k worth of money provided by amateur entry with no trophy prizes or even merch. The least they could have done is let the lead card have a final 6. Then again I am not surprised by the reputation of the people running the event.

Indeed they did or at least I assume. The players pack was very nice. I am more so bitter due to the fact that the other players from literally all over the country didn't get the feeling of any respect for their play. I myself am a local and could care less, in fact I left with the top scoring ams to play earlwood, but for the guys that put in 15-20 hour drives to play their event could have at least had a small recognition of their play. I am also quite certain I read it as well. Things were changed multiple times on the website.

So if I understand correctly, there weren't ANY prizes at all for the Ams?

If that's the case, wow. That is a surefire way to get zero repeat customers.

"The foremost tour in quality* disc golf tournaments" sure is different from the PDGA.

*Quality is not guaranteed. Buyer beware.

repeat customers

Does anything in their strategy suggest they expect repeat customers :D What they've done here is entirely consistent with their foundational business plan.

"The foremost tour in quality* disc golf tournaments" sure is different from the PDGA.

But … but … but … isn't not am payout EXACTLY what the "true amateur" crowd have been demanding for years????

Maybe that's the big "Never seen before" ADGT was crowing about beforehand?

I didn't see the webcast, but am reading varying opinions. I have a question, for those who think it was good, at least in part:

Was it good quality for disc golf coverage---that is, compared to the streams we now have?

Or was it good quality, near or equal to other sports events, golf in particular? Would it seem to be good quality to someone who's not a disc golfer?

10% of the field didn't even return for Sunday?

Interesting that the code for missing a round is "999". Where in the world did they get that from?

Also, I notice that their bizarre system of "par" was no better, or worse, than existing systems, at least if the goal was to have the leaders finish closer to par. And that's with a ton of OB strokes added---the same system on an OB-free course would be even more off.

But … but … but … isn't not am payout EXACTLY what the "true amateur" crowd have been demanding for years????

Maybe that's the big "Never seen before" ADGT was crowing about beforehand?

Except that there have been PDGA events doing the True Amateur thing for years (I've been doing it for a dozen years with my B-tier), so there's nothing "never seen before" about it. The nature of True Amateur is to return all value to the Ams in the form of player packs, with trophies and minimal/no payouts for the top performers. From the sounds of it, that's what they did (quibbles over the actual retail value of the pack aside).

Nothing the ADGT posted about the event suggested there would be big prizes for their amateur winners. In fact, there was barely any info at all about payouts, pro or am. There was however a lot of attention paid to (in fact a full description of) the amateur player packs. To me, that says it all.

If they did anything wrong with regard to returning value to their ams, it's not putting the leaders on the broadcast IF they in fact promised it to them. Other than that, I'd argue that any disappointment the ams have with their "payout" is self-inflicted due to poor assumptions.

I didn't see the webcast, but am reading varying opinions. I have a question, for those who think it was good, at least in part:

Was it good quality for disc golf coverage---that is, compared to the streams we now have?

Or was it good quality, near or equal to other sports events, golf in particular? Would it seem to be good quality to someone who's not a disc golfer?

The only and I mean only significant difference between this broadcast and what DGP and Smashboxx and Dynamic have done in the past is signal quality and thus picture quality. Well, that and fancy ESPN logos and graphics, which aren't aesthetically any different than what the others created for themselves.

Despite the promises, there was plenty of watching players walking down the fairway and milling around the basket. For the first couple holes there were almost no cutaways to commercials, B-roll footage of past rounds, or their profile vignettes of "Superstars of the Sport" like Greenwell, Climo, McBeth, Korver, Jenkins, etc. Just a lot of Billy talking while the players walked the 500 foot long fairway. On a positive note, those long shots of people walking were from a stationary camera zoomed in from 500 feet away rather than the occasionally nausea-inducing wireless camera bouncing along the fairway with the group.

In fact, they finished the second hole, walked up to the third tee and then cut away to a commercial break. Watching it, it felt like they were intentionally trying to slow things down with pauses and ad-breaks so they didn't finish the round within the first hour of the telecast.

No one, disc golfer or not, tuned into this and mistaked its quality for coverage of a PGA event.

I was amazed that they pulled this off at all, so I gotta give them credit for that. The quality was much better than expected and from what I watched, it went a helluva lot smoother than I expected too... (when you have the absolute lowest of expectations, it's obviously not hard to impress)...

That said, it was boring. I could not stay interested in it at all. I think their biggest failure was going outside of the PDGA on this one, as I think the fact that they didn't use an established sanctioning body hurt them at being able to secure more top pro's. I think it's hard for the best pro's to see the up side to it, it's essentially a live-streamed skins round to them.