• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An appeal to the dye gurus: color questions

shawnyo

Hey All,
Just got a mess of new discs and am resisting the urge to just throw some dye on them. This will be my first foray into dying .Hoping for some good results and am anxious to try a few techniques. Main info im looking for is some examples of what color dyes work best on what color discs. Pics please. Have a few innova star in red looking to brighten them up - does yellow work? have a yellow champ i would like to make red( leaving a bit of yellow as the image color) ect. I have been looking at a mess of the threads on this art form and there is a lot of talent and experience out there. I havnt seen any info showing a color chart of sorts as to what dyes look like on different colored disks. If I overlooked it, a link would be great. thanks in advance
~Shawn

To make a red disc lighter just leave it in the back window of your car for a few months. Short of that in most cases/all cases when you go dark there is no turning back. You could do something in purple and maybe green depending on the shade of red, but yellow is just going to do almost nothing to make it brighter. The other one should be no problem yellow is lighter than red and I have done lots of red on yellow with good results. Two examples below are two different shades of yellow discs with red dyes
IMG00149-20111101-2127.jpg

Dark red on bright yellow
firebird.jpg

Bright red, and light green done with a short dip in blue dye, on dark yellow
hope this helps, and don't resist the urge.:D

NorthernDisc: Thanks for the response. Those look great. Just the kind of info im looking for. Was entranced by the idea of attempting a lighter color or two marbling on that innova star red glad i didnt waste my time. Hoping for some more input. A collection of examples of colors on discs for those of us with little or no experience all in one place would be super benificial.

the general rule is you can always go darker but never lighter. Also the only way to guarantee the colour will turn out properly is to dye onto white, near white, or clear discs

I used a dedicated tester disc, with different parts being different colors. It has eliminated 99% of the guesswork in getting colors right.

nothingness, displayname: I understand the coloring works best on a blank canvas idea. I just had thought I had saw some examples in my research of colors applied to darker disks. The idea of a sacrificial tester disc is a good one. thanks guys

It there a way to ghost an image on a white disc? Like such a thing as light gray or off white ritual dye

Shawnyo, the discs you saw that you thought had been dyed lighter started out all light and the background was filled in around the design. Also if you want good color keep an eye on it while in the dye, check it every few minutes until you get the shade you want. Dying on red star will limit the colors you will get. Just start experimenting and good luck!

@bigbadbid, thanks, it seams that is the case. information i wish i would have known before my most recent purchase. Still planning on trying to get some colors onto those bad boys even if its only dark ones. Still hoping someone out there posts some pics of darker discs with lighter colors on em. Just so I know what Im up against and if I should try colors or just settle for black.

If it's your first go anyway you probably want to do just black. It will give you a nice image and you can always work from there with trying colors, but again darker is the only way to go with that red one.

darker is the only way to go.
This... Its not possible to dye light colors over dark ones, the color of the plastic can only be added to... The red will require something pretty dark, if you want an idea of how the color of the plastic will work with the color of the dye look up the color wheel. You dont have to go black (although it will be easier) but a color at least as dark as the plastic is neccesary, (purple, navy blue, green, brown, greys for depth...)

Dyeing is a method of Subtractive Coloring. The colors will only come out as expected if the light source (in our case, the disc) begins with white. From there, the dyes act as an agent to filter out (subtract) specific wavelengths. If the light source begins with something other than white, you'll only have the ability to filter out any of the remaining visible wavelengths... Thus, you can only dye darker.