• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Sidewinder Love?

I picked up a new Sidewinder with the flight numbers the other day. I was suprised by the slant to the rim. I had an older one last year that I liked so I figured I would get a replacement. I struggled with the rim. If I used my usual grip it would pull free early and if I used a tight grip to compensate I would grip lock it. On my last drive of the day it pulled out early and I lost it in the woods. Not sure if I will try another one.

I picked up a new Sidewinder with the flight numbers the other day. I was suprised by the slant to the rim. I had an older one last year that I liked so I figured I would get a replacement. I struggled with the rim. If I used my usual grip it would pull free early and if I used a tight grip to compensate I would grip lock it. On my last drive of the day it pulled out early and I lost it in the woods. Not sure if I will try another one.

What grip are you using? It sounds less like an issue with grip and more like not achieving a fast/clean rip during the hit portion of your throw. These discs are made to be hyzer-flipped at high speeds or else thrown as backhand rollers.

I have a old champ sidewinder i found last year with no name. It's really weathered and it slightly pitted around the edges. I used to hyzer-flip the hell out of it but it became too flippy. Then after a while the anny's and turnover's I'd get with would get less reliable. It seemed like it would want to get up and go but just drop like a rock as though it lost its glide or something. Is this when a disc is so worn that it's only good for roller shots?

What grip are you using? It sounds less like an issue with grip and more like not achieving a fast/clean rip during the hit portion of your throw. These discs are made to be hyzer-flipped at high speeds or else thrown as backhand rollers.

I use the modified power grip. You could be correct on not getting a good rip during the hit. It was realy hot and humid that night. I had problems keeping my hands dry. I havent given up on the disc just was a little frustrated. I had one last year that I could throw for realy good distance. I am currently tossing Rivers for both control and distance so it might be a while before I get back to the Sidewinder.

So, a year later - and I love the S'Winder again. Now, it's a hyzer-flip machine and huge reliable turnover disc when thrown flat. Honestly, it has some of the prettiest flight of any of my discs and seems to just float forever on a straight line when hyzer flipped. Very easy for me to throw now and my primary understable distance driver.

Who else is tossing that S'Winder?

Well ... I probably love it at this point because it's the only distance driver I can throw with consistency (and not a meathook). Anyone else a SW fan? I'm throwing a 168g Champ - will probably be the first disc I wear the stamp off of (it's about half gone after 2 months).

The Sidewinder was my go-to disc off the tee for the first year or so that I was playing. It is now strictly a roller disc for me, and it performs it's new job very well:)

i have had a star sidewinder in the bag since i started.. just love em.. i have a noodle arm but i can use them for anything from slight hyzer shots to rollers :) .. plus i just dont really like large rims so i dont really throw anything over speed 9-10

In my experience the sidewinders are one of Innova's most in-consistent flyers depending on the run and flatness.

Some I have been unable to flip and some are out of the box rollers. (all in champ and star)

I just picked up a SW as a KCWO fundraiser disc. Had never thrown one before a few days ago, so I don't know if it's normal or not, but I swear it has a + style rim. It feels more like a river style + than a TL+, if that makes sense. Those are the 2 discs with that rim that I have to compare it to. Pretty domey and stiff champ plastic. So far, I've only field thrown it and it's not nearly as understable as I expected. Plenty straight for me .... maybe I need to beat the newness out of it before I judge, but so far, I'm unimpressed. Kinda flies like my TL+. Just wondering if anyone else has seen or felt a SW+? I swear this thing has that slant in the rim.

In my experience the sidewinders are one of Innova's most in-consistent flyers depending on the run and flatness.

Some I have been unable to flip and some are out of the box rollers. (all in champ and star)

Word. I switched over to the AvengerSS last year after burning through a bunch of potential replacements for an absolute money Star Sidewinder that got swiped. One of the champs could easily hang with Firebirds and Predators. The other star had less glide than a Gator.

*SW's are my go to backhand driver. Love them. Carry a beat to poo 175, a seasoned 167 and a new, and fantastic, 150. Wife stole my first 150 so I had to replace her... the disc, not the wife. ;)

I like the SW a lot, currently i am throwing a RR tho and i feel like the rr/pd/pred combo is better and has less overlap than if i had a sw in place of it.

Very nice disc tho

Sidewinder starts is turn way earlier than a valk and sticks on that turn for alot longer. Simply put it is less stable. The biggest difference in my opinion is the consistency of flight. Valks are much more reliable.

I have 4 Champ SW's in my bag and 1 DX Valk, they are my only drivers unless I go to Blue Mtn. Disclaimer: I release with more hyzer than 99% of most golfers.

I've got a few first runs that get interchanged in and out of the bag fairly regularly. Mainly use them for rollers but love the big sweeping anhyzer with them when the situation calls for it.

I bought a 168g Champ Sidewinder a few months ago. The reason I picked this red one out of the stack I had to choose from was because it was flat and felt stiffer than the others, 2 things I like about a disc. It also turned out to be a lot more stable than my other 168 SW I've had for 2 years.

Today I noticed it's not flat anymore, it has the same dome as my older SW and is not as stable anymore. This is after only a few months of throwing.

Anyone else have this happen?

I do love Sidewinders.

GJgy4.jpg

Latest posts