• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Sidewinder Love?

15823314_1335976359807768_2960871897013981081_n.jpg

This link will break in a few weeks because the image is on Facebook. The extra parting line is an accidental artifact from the injection molding process. This is the easiest way to visualize the added nose spacer and differentiate between the OLS and the Sidewinder.

If you want an overstable (relatively) Sidewinder, look for that second parting line. Or just buy an OLS :)

this was the link https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104579&page=17

no i want the true sw flight

...so current run champ sw are back to the "true" sw flight

I think this is a question? I'm not sure because there is no punctuation.
In case it is a question, YES. I bought a Champ and a Star Sidewinder from DGU/Innova East's warehouse in the late spring of this year. They are both the correct configuration. This Star Sidewinder is the one I described earlier in this thread... 420-440' (on a max D pull but relatively low line) and as long as my pop-top Star Wraiths. Definitely a good batch IMO. Maybe a little on the beefy side for those that don't throw as far.

CD2s are a good bit more stable than Sidewinders, are they not? :confused:

I don't know CD2s very well at all but I own/have thrown a max weight S-CD2. I played Winthrop with it once and that is all I have thrown it.

That specific S-CD2 is less overstable than a new Sidewinder. If a new SW is 9/5/-1/1.5 then that CD2 would be 9/5/-2/1. I don't know how the other run variations are.

I think this is a question? I'm not sure because there is no punctuation.
In case it is a question, YES. I bought a Champ and a Star Sidewinder from DGU/Innova East's warehouse in the late spring of this year. They are both the correct configuration. This Star Sidewinder is the one I described earlier in this thread... 420-440' (on a max D pull but relatively low line) and as long as my pop-top Star Wraiths. Definitely a good batch IMO. Maybe a little on the beefy side for those that don't throw as far.

well im going to have to peep some at the store

i loved that old sw flight its really the only spot i couldnt replicate with any other disc

baby turn with baby fade

could hyzer if needed or could hold an anny

I thought someone came here once that had good knowledge of the molding process and said there was no such thing as a nose spacer?

Anyway, I just do not get the distance out of an OLS as I do a SW.

Any particular plastic that is most stable in SWs? I would like one or two to compliment the ones I have now that all turn decently.

I thought someone came here once that had good knowledge of the molding process and said there was no such thing as a nose spacer?

Any particular plastic that is most stable in SWs? I would like one or two to compliment the ones I have now that all turn decently.

I find the Champ Sidewinder to be the most overstable.

It depends on what someone means when they say "nose spacer." When I say it, I mean that an extra plate has been bolted to one of the mold pieces. This plate will space the two mold halves further apart. That is why I call it a spacer.

This process is absolutely valid in the injection molding arena. Whether or not Innova uses it? I don't have any direct knowledge but the artifacts from the molding process definitely point in that direction. You shouldn't get that type of flashing unless there was a separate piece.

And I agree with Streets, Champ is the most reliably overstable plastic choice. But Star plastic is so close in stability that your plastic preference should be the determining factor.

Last edited:

I find the Champ Sidewinder to be the most overstable.

Agree that the Champion Sidewinders are generally the most overstable. But not necessarily by a lot.

Also, the Champ Sidewinders and Opto Falchions are VERY similar in their flights. I like both those molds.

Innova needs to produce more of those Luster Sidewinders that made the rounds last year or so. Straight money, and from the bit that I saw before it was lost, also broke in really well.

Man I love the Sidewinder. My fresh Star Sidewinder has the perfect amount of turn and great glide.
It gets me the same distance as my pop-top Star Wraiths (420 - 440' feet) but on a much different flight path. And because it is a new SW, there isn't too much turn yet. Such a fantastic disc for people who like to throw with a little hyzer.

I'm shocked that more people don't throw this disc. Or maybe they do but they don't admit it? LOL

Where I live older players that have been playing since at least before the Valkyrie came out use the mold and mostly the DX or Champion, otherwise they use other discs like the Road Runner and Valkyrie combo most of these players are either from the Black Hills/Rapid City area or have a course nearby that is a woods disc golf course. I have an uncle from Western NY who this is his top distance driver in DX and one Champion with a very worn in disc to be his roller, the others are his Sidewinder in Champion for driving/woods, and his Road Runner level of worn in disc, his next highest disc speed and distance is a Viper DX. He gets a new DX Sidewinder when the Road Runner worn in disc gets too US and that becomes a backup roller. He has a few backup roller discs like 2 or 3.

It depends on what someone means when they say "nose spacer." When I say it, I mean that an extra plate has been bolted to one of the mold pieces. This plate will space the two mold halves further apart. That is why I call it a spacer.

This process is absolutely valid in the injection molding arena. Whether or not Innova uses it? I don't have any direct knowledge but the artifacts from the molding process definitely point in that direction. You shouldn't get that type of flashing unless there was a separate piece.
This has always seemed to be the best explanation for those more blunt rims.

DX Sidwinders are fun to throw - they beat in very quickly and can either be nice turning discs, or rollers, at which I am no good.

Have you guys thrown a Sphinx? It has the same numbers as a sidewinder, but the only one I have thrown I got out of a used bin and it is flip city. It's kind of awesome actually. Sorry in advance for possible thread drift.

Have you guys thrown a Sphinx? It has the same numbers as a sidewinder, but the only one I have thrown I got out of a used bin and it is flip city. It's kind of awesome actually. Sorry in advance for possible thread drift.

I bag the Sphinx, and it's a great disc. It has a bit of a different flight from the Sidewinder, despite the same flight numbers.

I bag the Sphinx, and it's a great disc. It has a bit of a different flight from the Sidewinder, despite the same flight numbers.

I've been bagging it in the flippier than my other roadrunners slot. I should pop a sidewinder in there too as a middleman between my barsby roadrunner and my straightest s-pd

Agree that the Champion Sidewinders are generally the most overstable. But not necessarily by a lot.

Also, the Champ Sidewinders and Opto Falchions are VERY similar in their flights. I like both those molds.

Tried the Falchion, it felt oddly shallow in my hand. I will say I much prefer the Trilogy flippy long fairway lineup over Innova molded stuff.

I used to have a pop-topped champ SW 167g or so that flew like a teebird. More recently snagged a champ SW in the 170s, somewhat of a dome but not poppy I don't think, that actually flies like a SW.

Does anyone else feel like the cool thing about a "good" sidewinder is that they consistently turn a bit even powered down in the calm? Like, some discs just fly stable right up until you push them out past 325' or so, or into a slight headwind, and they just flip over out of nowhere. A good sidewinder always turns to a degree, there's no sudden drop off in stability where they surprise flip. You expect them to turn a bit, and they do. Make sense or...? :doh:

Bumping this thread just for elmex. I actually threw the yellow one in a pond a few years ago and yes, it's also a pfn Sidewinder. Stole both of these from PIAS for $18.

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_114728.jpg
    IMG_20200819_114728.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts