• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Sidewinder Love?

I find the Champ Sidewinder to be the most overstable.

This was probably true until the Halos came out. Just sold one of mine, my noodle arm couldn't get it to turn at all

Champ anything is over stable. I'm loving my 168g Star Sidewinder. I bought a couple start lite Sidewinders and they do real well also.

I'm loving the Champ Sidewinders that have recently been coming out. Very straight fliers out of the box. Like -1.5,1. Max weight with a shallow dome.

If you want one that is less stable definitely go Star. Pro Valks can be good too. Like -3/1.

Bumping this thread just for elmex. I actually threw the yellow one in a pond a few years ago and yes, it's also a pfn Sidewinder. Stole both of these from PIAS for $18.

easily worth the $$$$$

even better that some other chump knocked the new off of it and they will hopefully be around that sweet spot

pfn back when the sw was actually a sw

Love my Sidewinders. Would love to find one in the starlite plastic, 140-ish. Used to be my main disc, until I discovered Valkyries and Monarchs.

Can't believe this thread doesn't have more activity...

Anyway, Christine Jennings posted a brief video on her tour series Sidewinder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNq3m8LVQ4

Has anyone been throwing theirs? I got a couple but I'm still only throwing putters for the time being. Interested to hear people's thoughts. She says it's a little stiffer and more stable than a stock Star Sidewinder. Mine are definitely stiffer, but the PLH looks the same as the recent stock runs.

I just put a sidewinder back in the bag for the first time in many years. It's such a good neutral driver. Been throwing it backhand and forehand in the woods

Edit:. Holy **** she put Shenron on the stamp! Buying a coupe for sure

My new bag has been lacking a neutral finishing fairway driver for the longest time. My Star roadrunner always finishes right, my Champ TL3 is dead straight but always finishes a little left, and I never quite jived with Undertakers and Drifts.

I hear the Sidewinder is infamous for being more stable than its -3/1 flight, so I ordered a pretty Star Christine Jennings Teal Sidewinder from Titan Disc Golf. I will compare it to my Champ TL3 tomorrow.

I had a used champ sidewinder that was a very handy flip-to-flat, straight disc with minimal fade. It also would do nice turnovers if I didn't cutroll. But it's in a pond now... I bought a new champ sidewinder and... well... it's not the same disc. A new Lucid Escape is a beat in champ Sidewinder.

I had a used champ sidewinder that was a very handy flip-to-flat, straight disc with minimal fade. It also would do nice turnovers if I didn't cutroll. But it's in a pond now... I bought a new champ sidewinder and... well... it's not the same disc. A new Lucid Escape is a beat in champ Sidewinder.

Sidewinders are best in Star. They're like a new Lucid Escape that'll stay that way, only better. Those Lucid Escapes will fly like beat star RR's in short order. I know from experience.

Sidewinders are best in Star. They're like a new Lucid Escape that'll stay that way, only better. Those Lucid Escapes will fly like beat star RR's in short order. I know from experience.

I have a 167 star SW that people keep telling me I should throw more often...(and they're right). Sweet discs!

I had a Z Heat that was probably my favorite disc. I lost it in the summer and haven't been able to replace it and am frankly fed up with trying to buy Discraft. I wanted to try a Sidewinder, but I wanted to hold one in my hand and my local shop hasn't had once in the last 8 months.

-I found a GStar Roadrunner, but it is WAY too flippy.
-I bought a Gold Line Saint, lost it on the 2nd throw, had it returned to me after about 5 months in pretty beat in shape and it is too flippy.
-I was comped a Westside Hatchet for a good deed. I like it, but it just doesn't fly as far. I could drop my Heat within a few feet of my distance drivers and the Hatchet is more in Teebird range for me.
-I bought a Kesler Martin Sphinx and, at least at start, it is surprisingly stable and not glidey.

Sidewinder worth a shot?

Sidewinder worth a shot?

Depends if you're looking for something flippy off the shelf or not. Sidewinder is more stable than the -3/1 (especially in Star). Could try a TD, but finding good stock is probably more difficult than Discraft these days.

Personally never liked the heat due to the weird dome - the sidewinder is typically flatter (neutral flatness, if I can borrow an OTB label). Not sure if that would impact your decision or not.

Sidewinder worth a shot?

Absolutely. It's one of those in the running for longest for its rim width. I am often shocked how far I throw these things. One one slightly uphill hole I play all the time, I have set my all time record throw with one despite having thrown many faster discs there in the past.

I compare a Heat to a broken in Tbird not a SW.

Sidewinder is more stable than the -3/1

I agree with this. It's a straight thrower for me. I got a couple Star Lite SWs and they are straight with a good fade. Not flippy at all.

Depends if you're looking for something flippy off the shelf or not. Sidewinder is more stable than the -3/1 (especially in Star). Could try a TD, but finding good stock is probably more difficult than Discraft these days.

Personally never liked the heat due to the weird dome - the sidewinder is typically flatter (neutral flatness, if I can borrow an OTB label). Not sure if that would impact your decision or not.

I forgot. I also found a pristine TD. I can't even remember what I thought about the stability, but it didn't fly very far for me at all.

I could throw the Heat on hyzer and it gave me a real nice S curve. The Hatchet gives me similar flight, but it just doesn't fly as far for me. The Sphinx holds hyzer. The others don't fight back.

Good to know on the dome. I think that is why I like the Heat so much. It just seemed to come out of my hand so much better than other 9 speed that I've thrown.

I love Sidewinders, its my "distance" driver. I tried to buy a Christine Jennings Tour Series Sidewinder from the Innova pro shop. $17.99 for the disc and $20.63 shipping for UPS ground to Montana. Sorry Christine, I tried.

how do sidewinders compare to barsby roadrunners...I have one that i really like..that can anny if i want..roll if ik it to...or go long straight downwind...it is new and just really easy to throw...but def initelt not -4 turn..which is fine

I love Sidewinders, its my "distance" driver. I tried to buy a Christine Jennings Tour Series Sidewinder from the Innova pro shop. $17.99 for the disc and $20.63 shipping for UPS ground to Montana. Sorry Christine, I tried.

Yeah they tried to charge me 10 bucks for shipping on one disc. I know for a fact you can ship one disc cross country for 3.50 USPS. I ended up picking up some F2's to get over 75 and did get a couple Winders.

I even got a Patent number Winder which must have been on the shelf for what? 6-7 years (can't remember when those stopped)? Pretty sweet and lucky. 175 Champion. :D

Picked up an Ellen Widboom Sidewinder, and got a chance to throw it today - for once I've found a Sidewinder that flies like I think it should: domey, 161 grams in flexy Star plastic.

Latest posts