• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else play alot worse in tourneys?

presidio hills said:
i've been playing 4.5 years... started playing tourneys about a year into my game. for the most part i've played some of the worst golf in my life in tournament. i start out kinda bad... then i just get worse and worse till i'm on the bottom card and have no mental energy left, fighting some other guy in the same state of mind for DFL. hehe. all the while watching many people out there not as good as me who haven't been playing as long strolling through the course and getting pars because they're in the right frame of mind and having fun and taking it easy.

this year i'm not going to play a tourney until i feel like my game is consistent and locked into place. i need to have the confidence that i can stay focused and play good golf ALL weekend long in a tourney environment. i don't need to win... i just need to not play like crap for rounds and rounds.

lately my short game and putting have been very good. my driving game is all over the place... so once i get it down to where i feel good about it i'll start competing again. till then it's bag tag rounds and weekly league play for me.

i did have one tourney, about 2 years into my disc `golfing where i started off shooting a 989 rated round which got me tied for 2nd place and on the leader card (in AM2). the rest of the tourney i shot consistently 900 rated golf and ended up in the cash. it felt awsome! i was very relaxed and consistent the whole weekend, i can't tell you why, though... i wasn't killing it like the first round, but i held it together.

if i can learn to relax throwing off the tee... then i'll be a real fucking golfer.

I think that's the key, is staying relaxed, relaxed and CONFIDENT. And always stay vigilant to keep that mental energy and focus up.

IowaDiscGolf said:
Barry Schultz suggested that you only play your best golf 10% of the time, so the trick is to bring your average game up to the level that wins tournaments.

this is really good advice. And pretty much exactly how Ive gone from playing 900rated golf to averiging 950 rated golf. My last two tourneys havent made it into the last update-

My drives have not improved, but my upshots, putting and trickshot selection has improved a bunch.

rehder said:
IowaDiscGolf said:
Barry Schultz suggested that you only play your best golf 10% of the time, so the trick is to bring your average game up to the level that wins tournaments.

this is really good advice. And pretty much exactly how Ive gone from playing 900rated golf to averiging 950 rated golf. My last two tourneys havent made it into the last update-

My drives have not improved, but my upshots, putting and trickshot selection has improved a bunch.

I'm in the same boat, minus 50 points (too few sanctioned tourneys lately.) It can be very easy to blow off casual rounds and score high...you're not necessarily as "fun" to play a round with when you're deadly serious about it, but when you treat it as strictly business and just focus on your scoring, you can impress yourself. For me, getting my average casual rounds to have a more competitive feel routinely is key.

I have this same problem. In league and tournament play I choke up and it is horrible. I go from shooting a normal +2 to shooting a +19. I've noticed a few things that I really need to work on.

I think too much about every shot. If I play in a casual round, I just look at the hole pick a line and throw. In competitive play I am looking over all kinds of lines and concentrating way to hard. I end up not hitting the line I want.

I go from being able to can 30' putts ~70% to being able to can 15' putts 70% or the time. This is just the mental part of everyone watching you and those being people I don't know. Putting is one part of my game I rely on. I know that if my second shot is inside 20' I'm golden. When playing competitively I just lose all confidence. I can't seem to get it back. Yesterday in a casual round I hit about three 30' and two 40' putts letting me finish the round -8. It was a shorter course that I've played a lot and usually finish down 2 or 3.

I have that horrible recover mentality. I always think after I bogey I need to birdie. This causes me to run at things I shouldn't and add bogeys instead of birdies.

I think what it boils down to for me is having more fun and treating it all as casual. I'm out there to meet people and enjoy the game. I've also been putting like a mad man the last couple days to build some confidence so I don't even think about anything inside of 20'.

schla104 said:
I have this same problem. In league and tournament play I choke up and it is horrible. I go from shooting a normal +2 to shooting a +19. I've noticed a few things that I really need to work on.

I think too much about every shot. If I play in a casual round, I just look at the hole pick a line and throw. In competitive play I am looking over all kinds of lines and concentrating way to hard. I end up not hitting the line I want.

I go from being able to can 30' putts ~70% to being able to can 15' putts 70% or the time. This is just the mental part of everyone watching you and those being people I don't know. Putting is one part of my game I rely on. I know that if my second shot is inside 20' I'm golden. When playing competitively I just lose all confidence. I can't seem to get it back. Yesterday in a casual round I hit about three 30' and two 40' putts letting me finish the round -8. It was a shorter course that I've played a lot and usually finish down 2 or 3.

I have that horrible recover mentality. I always think after I bogey I need to birdie. This causes me to run at things I shouldn't and add bogeys instead of birdies.

I think what it boils down to for me is having more fun and treating it all as casual. I'm out there to meet people and enjoy the game. I've also been putting like a mad man the last couple days to build some confidence so I don't even think about anything inside of 20'.

That was a problem for me in my last tournament, but only my last one. The two before that (spaced far apart) I actually was able to bring my level of play up in the tournament, canning some gigantic putts and parking some good holes. In my last tournament, I had "the shakes" with the putter and chunked some normally-routine putts, including three (3) inside ten feet. Yes, three (3) inside ten feet. I would pick up a bogie or double and then lapse into the mentality where I'm pressing myself to catch up on the next hole, which is not playing golf but rather trying to "save face." Been there, done that. Hopefully it was just a good lesson that I'll learn from. As you indicated, purely mental so it can be overcome.

Latest posts