• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anything Disc Golf Road Trip

air show

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
A thread to share DG roadtrip ideas, preparations, lodging, tricks, or any other idiosyncrasies.

Example: For me the biggest determination of where I roadtrip is determined by the weather. If I take a week off from work I'm looking for the optimal weather to throw disc. I am always influenced by rain, cold, hot, high winds, mosquitoes ect. For this reason I always have one primary goal with 4 or 5 backup destinations.

The last 4 years I have been trying to get to Highbridge Hills but each time weather has hampered this effort. Again this spring I will make HH my first choice but my backup destinations will include... St Cloud,MN), Lansing, MI), Bowling Green, KY), Tupelo, MS), or somewhere in Texas.

I bring an ice chest and plenty of water, snacks like carrot and celery sticks, jerky, cheese sticks, apples or oranges, Granola bars, sometimes even hard boiled eggs. Cuts down on fast food saves me time and money as I usually eat the snacks while driving between courses.

As for where...
Everyone's got their different reasons for heading where they're heading, and DG isn't always the top priority.

Last edited:
A thread to share DG roadtrip ideas, preparations, lodging, tricks, or any other idiosyncrasies.

Example: For me the biggest determination of where I roadtrip is determined by the weather. If I take a week off from work I'm looking for the optimal weather to throw disc. I am always influenced by rain, cold, hot, high winds, mosquitoes ect. For this reason I always have one primary goal with 4 or 5 backup destinations.

The last 4 years I have been trying to get to Highbridge Hills but each time weather has hampered this effort. Again this spring I will make HH my first choice but my backup destinations will include... St Cloud,MN), Lansing, MI), Bowling Green, KY), Tupelo, MS), or somewhere in Texas.

Lansing? You have played Burchfield, I am not sure there is a ton in Lansing to designate it a destination. Metro Detroit, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo would all be better choices. Just a Michigander perspective.

I bring an ice chest and plenty of water, snacks like carrot and celery sticks, jerky, cheese sticks, apples or oranges, Granola bars, sometimes even hard boiled eggs. Cuts down on fast food saves me time and money as I usually eat the snacks while driving between courses.

As for where...
Everyone's got their different reasons for heading where they're heading, and DG isn't always the top priority.

Good ideas. And I am in the vacation camp here. I generally start my planning with a solid plan for a family vacation. Including the wife's wants and opportunity for the dog, are primary considerations. Finding an area that fits those wants and good golf becomes the filled out, robust planning.

Hoping for a Carolina/Virginia type trip this summer. Wife wants to do some hiking, so we will take a look at that and then get some courses lined up. Find a nice resort [COVID willing] or an AirBNB, providing a central location.

Some are able to make pure disc golf road trips, and sometimes the golf takes a front seat, but it is always a more complicated expedition for me.

I say Lansing not to pass up Burchfield and Pine Hills but would venture east to play the courses BogeyNoMore frequents... Kensington, Independence Lake, and Hudson Mills.

Also I usually get about two dg trips a year that evolve around dg only.

Not sure where you would be coming from, but a side trip to Ludington would not disappoint and Flip is right on the way.

Not sure where you would be coming from, but a side trip to Ludington would not disappoint and Flip is right on the way.

Been considering a roadtrip to hit Rollin Ridge then Silver Creek then take the ferry across to Ludington. The window for the ferry is May 12 through Oct 16. I really hope to make this trip happen one day.

I say Lansing not to pass up Burchfield and Pine Hills but would venture east to play the courses BogeyNoMore frequents... Kensington, Independence Lake, and Hudson Mills.

Also I usually get about two dg trips a year that evolve around dg only.

:thmbup::thmbup: Great call. Those three are terrific facilities. Give Bogey and I a shout when you are in town. If we are around, we'd love to tour guide.

As for where...

I'm the opposite. I eat something big and greasy right away in the morning and that gives me at least enough energy to bag 3-5 courses then it's time to find another greasy diner to load up on some energy (bad food) before bagging maybe 1-2 more courses on the way back home.

I'm gonna ride this high metabolism thingy into the sunset for as long as I can.

I'm the opposite. I eat something big and greasy right away in the morning and that gives me at least enough energy to bag 3-5 courses then it's time to find another greasy diner to load up on some energy (bad food) before bagging maybe 1-2 more courses on the way back home.

I'm gonna ride this high metabolism thingy into the sunset for as long as I can.

I hate to be a buzz kill but if heart disease runs in your family you might want to rethink that diet. That sunset may come a lot quicker then you think.

After a heart attack and quadruple bypass one would think I would only eat healthy but I understand your thinking. When I dg road trip 2 of those McDonald's egg mcmuffins in the morning gets me all day until evening. I justify it by saying I will burn it all off by throwing disc.

If you need a 4th just say PINE HILLS three times and I will appear. :D

PINE HILLS is one of my favorite course destinations Michigan has for me. The owners seem to be on board and are excited about adding the two disc golf courses. I only wish I would have made it to Marlette before it closed down. Have my eye on Yankee Springs though.

I hate to be a buzz kill but if heart disease runs in your family you might want to rethink that diet. That sunset may come a lot quicker then you think.

After a heart attack and quadruple bypass one would think I would only eat healthy but I understand your thinking. When I dg road trip 2 of those McDonald's egg mcmuffins in the morning gets me all day until evening. I justify it by saying I will burn it all off by throwing disc.

Luckily, heart disease is the only thing that isn't super prevalent in my family but I definitely maintain a balance of bad food and healthy stuff as well as keep extremely active. I play disc golf at least 2-3 times a week as well as work out every single day.

I actually have to keep a high intake of calories otherwise its hard for me to maintain weight. I had a bad month mental health-wise about 2 years back and I went from weighing 175 to 150 in a short period of time due to not eating as much.

Also, a glass of red wine every once in awhile and dark chocolate is the key to living 100+ years from what I've been told ;)

Last edited:

As for where...

I have two ice chests... one for beverages and one for foods and snacks. Because DG is my only real hobby I must confess that I spare nothing when it comes to eating and drinking pleasures. Though I really don't drink much soda pop I can go through a 2 liter of Dr Pepper and a bag of sunflower seeds a day when on the road driving. Many times its McDonald's for breakfast and a delicious sit down restaurant at days end. Because I am a big fan of donuts 🍩 many times i stop by a local donut shop and get a half dozen donuts or so for night caps... though I drink coffee while eating those. Also it has become a habit to search out the best authentic Mexican restaurants and double cheese burgers by Googling best in town... I also bring my own salsa. Moreover when it comes to beer I spare nothing there and buy whatever I fancy. "What's the point of life if you don't enjoy yourself."

PS. I rarely do edibles but when I do it's a nice way to enjoy a motel room or camp fire in the evenings. It's no wonder why I have such a hard time getting to sleep the night before a DG roadtrip.

PPS. Enjoying my favorite foods and drinks and playing the best DG courses in the country are all made possible by simply taping on the search map here on DGCR.

Attachments

• 20211114_141720.jpg
    20211114_141720.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 28
PINE HILLS is one of my favorite course destinations Michigan has for me. The owners seem to be on board and are excited about adding the two disc golf courses. I only wish I would have made it to Marlette before it closed down. Have my eye on Yankee Springs though.

A bunch of us made a point of hitting Marlette just before it closed. It was fun hooking up with FP, Ru4, and a few other guys for that. :)

Me and a few buddies have been doing a mancation every summer for 4 years now where we just meet in some part of the country and road trip for a few days and play new and awesome courses.

- We have learned that the fewer people the better. 2-4 people are ideal.
- Minivans are awesome for road trips
- Bring a big cooler and a lot of water
- Jerky, fruit, cut up veggies, granola and other healthy snacks are a must since you will get into areas that dont have great food options unless you have a good gas station around. But even then you will be paying a lot more. Not having to stop for food is a big plus and will save you a bunch of time.
- I personally swear by having a lot of recovery tools at my disposal. I bring a message gun, foam roller, voodoo floss, lightweight bands, some sort of high quality cbd cream, and an ems machine to make sure I can keep playing everyday and every round.
- I bring about twice as many pairs of socks that I normally would for a trip since Ill change those out every round. I bring 2-3 pairs of dg shoes so that I can always be ready.
- Ill bring some sort of electrolyte replenisher, right now Im digging Liquid IV. I have a good zinc based sunscreen. I have poison Ivy wipes, plenty of Benadryl and motion sickness pills for when I play at elevation.

Im sure there are things that I am missing here but this is what I can think of right now.

Me and a few buddies have been doing a mancation every summer for 4 years now where we just meet in some part of the country and road trip for a few days and play new and awesome courses.

- We have learned that the fewer people the better. 2-4 people are ideal.
- Minivans are awesome for road trips
- Bring a big cooler and a lot of water
- Jerky, fruit, cut up veggies, granola and other healthy snacks are a must since you will get into areas that dont have great food options unless you have a good gas station around. But even then you will be paying a lot more. Not having to stop for food is a big plus and will save you a bunch of time.
- I personally swear by having a lot of recovery tools at my disposal. I bring a message gun, foam roller, voodoo floss, lightweight bands, some sort of high quality cbd cream, and an ems machine to make sure I can keep playing everyday and every round.
- I bring about twice as many pairs of socks that I normally would for a trip since Ill change those out every round. I bring 2-3 pairs of dg shoes so that I can always be ready.
- Ill bring some sort of electrolyte replenisher, right now Im digging Liquid IV. I have a good zinc based sunscreen. I have poison Ivy wipes, plenty of Benadryl and motion sickness pills for when I play at elevation.

Im sure there are things that I am missing here but this is what I can think of right now.

Never knew poison ivy wipes existed. Am curious of how they work? Also Googled voodoo floss... I will be getting some of that.

Last edited:
Never knew poison ivy wipes existed. Am curious of how they work? Also Googled voodoo floss... I will be getting some of that.

I didn't know that poison ivy wipes existed either until I found some at work and from then I have always had them in my bag and car. I haven't got poison ivy since and I usually just use them for the rounds were I really get in the rough and have no clue what I walked thru. Pretty much just to be safe.

Voodoo floss is a great, simple tool to use for recovery. I used it to alleviate and get rid of tennis elbow from disc golf. Now I use it all the time, all over my body. Look up Kelly Starrett for some of his tutorials or just search youtube and you can probably find a use for the floss on any body part.

so anyone use a piss jug or funnel or bottle or anything to keep from stopping on long trips

im thinkin if i would utilize one of these it would allow for at least 1 moar course each day

Latest posts